Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to USA

Moving from the UK to USA

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

louise1004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to USA

Hi all. I am currently living in the UK with my husband and our 3 children. In September I start university studying a Paramedic Science Diploma. Once completed we are looking at moving to USA. I in particular am interested in moving Seattle and my husband is interested in California. Until this desicion is made I am wondering if anyone has any info on whether my diploma would be transferable to either of these places or whether I would have to retrain? Any info would be very helpful
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by louise1004
Hi all. I am currently living in the UK with my husband and our 3 children. In September I start university studying a Paramedic Science Diploma. Once completed we are looking at moving to USA. I in particular am interested in moving Seattle and my husband is interested in California. Until this desicion is made I am wondering if anyone has any info on whether my diploma would be transferable to either of these places or whether I would have to retrain? Any info would be very helpful
Hello and welcome to BE.

The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to. Unless you or your spouse are American citizens...you're greatest obstacle is going to be getting a visa. Take a read at this...if you don't fit into one of the categories your chances of moving here are very very slim. Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Your diploma and HPC license would not be transferable if you moved to the US. You would need to start your paramedic training from scratch. Still, few places better to do that than with Medic 1.

Of course, all of the above assumes that you would be eligible for a visa to go there in the first place.

FWIW, you could probably move to QLD Australia with a lot less fuss. They do recognise HPC paramedics.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

louise1004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving from the UK to USA

Thanks guys! Australia was another thought of ours looks like it will be our easiest option.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise1004
Thanks guys! Australia was another thought of ours looks like it will be our easiest option.
Here is the link to the Australia Immigration forum...I recommend you ask the people there about moving to Oz.