British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-uk-us-soon-any-tips-525723/)

ImmortalNinja Mar 31st 2008 10:22 am

Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Hi all,
So I will be moving from London to San Fransico soon.
This will be my first major move so its all rather exciting and scary at the same time.
I have a long list of things to do and have the feeling that I'm forgetting something.
Can anyone give my any tips on things they did right or wrong during their move. Or point me towards a good resource for such things.

Some of the more major things from my list:

Visa: just waiting for the interview
Cancel services: ISP, water, electricity , gas
Notify: Banks, council tax, student loan
Movers: Contacted for initial survey
Plane tickets: booked :thumbup:

Anyone see anything else major??

Cheers
KK

Ozzidoc Mar 31st 2008 10:51 am

Re: Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja (Post 6136065)
Hi all,
This will be my first major move so its all rather exciting and scary at the same time.
I have a long list of things to do and have the feeling that I'm forgetting something.
Can anyone give my any tips on things they did right or wrong during their move. Or point me towards a good resource for such things.

Cheers
KK

Become familiar with craigslist

Vimto Mar 31st 2008 10:54 am

Sort out your crap NOW!
Don't bring stuff you never used in the UK all the way to the USA, Don't bring electrical stuff if it doesn't run on 110V 60Hz unless you paid an arm and a leg for it.
Take photos of places you like so if you get home sick you can remind yourself of what home really looked like.

Chrissywissy100 Mar 31st 2008 11:42 am

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

I presume you have accomodation sorted in SF? Will you need to rent a car?

We move out to SF on Sat (T5 at Heathrow issue sorted by then I hope), so do not under extimate how long it will take to claer tha crap out of your house. We knew we have been moving since Dec 07, and so of course am still sorting out now.

Must contact student loans now, as they send you paperwork which has to be returned within 2 months of you arriving in new country or they fine you each month!

Advise you to keep you UK clearing bank account to pay them by Direct debit, and set up another Bank account in SF when you get there.

If you are with HSBC now it will be easier than starting with a new bank out they as apparanelty they can link in to your current branch in UK to see that you are / arent a good customer. At least thats what Ive been told!

MsElui Mar 31st 2008 1:31 pm

definatly sort your stuff now. Give away, throw away, charity shop, car boot anything non-essential. Use Freecycle to get other people to come and collect your junk!

I managed to get through about 80% of my house before we came and got rid of loads. I still (6 months on) have boxes in the basement of this rental house that are full of odd bits i shoudlnt have bothered bringing. (our shipping was free with employer - so im not talking about cost more about wasting time and energy lugging the damn stuff about here).

Check the electrical items you are bringing. Do they state dual voltage (ie 110-240) on the plug, transformer or backplate? If it does then you can bring it and just change the plug or cable this end. Otherwise you will need to buy some step up transformers and a uk multiway socket to keep on operating them). But dont do that for small things as they are so cheap here.

If you have a choice of some air freight then chose what will go into it? Find out about where you will be stayig on arrival and what you might need and make sure you have that in suitcase or air freight so it arrives quickly. The rest can be sea freight.

get an international driving licence. (just another useful piece of id).
get a UK amex account (so you can start to build up a credit record now and then tranfser it to a us account once you are here)
if your keeping your home/mortgage make sure the mortgage company give permission for it to be let out. (most reputable letting agents will need to see that anyways).

change mailing address to a family address for stuff like premium bonds and they are not allowed to send this to the US.

if you have aa cover ring them as they can put your 'account' on hold for something like 7 years (as they wont refund) in case you do come back.

penguinsix Mar 31st 2008 2:56 pm

Get together medical paperwork now, and if you have any children sort out their medical paperwork (especially vaccination records) as well. These can take some time to get sorted so best to get them out of the way. You might also want to see some friends and the such now, as the demand on your time as you get closer to your move will be pretty heavy.

You might also take a look at the WIKI on the top of this page and check some of the things in the USA section about culture shock, making friends, etc.

Right now it seems you are in the packing and getting ready to move mode which often distracts people from the 'hard think' about the adjustment they are going to undertake. That usually starts a few weeks after the boxes are unpacked and they ask 'what have I done?!' Might be good to think about a few of those things now before you head out the door.

Bob Mar 31st 2008 4:23 pm

read the wiki...search through this forum and read lots...and enjoy :)

veryfunny Apr 1st 2008 6:41 am

You did not list whether you have a job? That is vital over here in the Bay.

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

GoldFinger Apr 4th 2008 3:59 am

Bring a very open mind.

Erase from your brain any Hollywood versions of the US you've seen on UK TV. The reality of living here and experiencing the truth will give you culture shock.

Take photos of everything/everyone before you go. If you don't think you'll miss it now you will when you get to the US.

Eat as much variety of Brit food (real fish & chips, chicken and mushroom pie as examples) for the last week because your really going to miss it here.

Get everyones email address. Saves on calling home.

Triumphrob Apr 4th 2008 4:29 am

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

Dont do it! Its better in the UK:eek:

CitySimon Apr 4th 2008 5:55 pm

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

Throw out all of your clothes and pack your suitcase with as much British Beer as you can get over here (I'm talking real ales, not lager)... I'll meet you at JFK. :thumbsup:

No? :blink: Oh well.

Ozzidoc Apr 4th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by CitySimon (Post 6159615)
Throw out all of your clothes and pack your suitcase with as much British Beer as you can get over here (I'm talking real ales, not lager)... I'll meet you at JFK. :thumbsup:

No? :blink: Oh well.

Day-m. Should have saved my karma for this post!

TruBrit Apr 4th 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob (Post 6156901)
Dont do it! Its better in the UK:eek:

:lol: i was just going to say the same :p

William Semmes Apr 5th 2008 1:42 am

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

Movers - Davies Turner did a great job for us - well wrapped, just received this week and virtually no damage. Lamps easy to convert the plugs, use British wiring but bayonet bulbs in 120 voltage not easy to find. Stepdown Transformers easily available if needed. Be pleased to answer any questions. There is a Treasury form for those leaving the UK. San Francisco is a fabulous city.

CitySimon Apr 5th 2008 1:51 am

Originally Posted by William Semmes (Post 6161319)
Movers - Davies Turner did a great job for us - well wrapped, just received this week and virtually no damage. Lamps easy to convert the plugs, use British wiring but bayonet bulbs in 120 voltage not easy to find. Stepdown Transformers easily available if needed. Be pleased to answer any questions. There is a Treasury form for those leaving the UK. San Francisco is a fabulous city.

Welcome!!
You're right! Bayonet fitting bulbs are a bitch to find, almost impossible in fact... Best trick, thrown out the lecky lights which require bayonet bulbs before you start packing! See you at JFK!

Jaxbar Apr 5th 2008 2:06 am

I had a lamp I really liked from back home so used a kit to make a lamp from a bottle, similar to the one on the link below.

6 dollars or so from Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Favorite-.../dp/B000BNJHDW

GoldFinger Apr 5th 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CitySimon (Post 6159615)
Throw out all of your clothes and pack your suitcase with as much British Beer as you can get over here :thumbsup:

No flippin' way. Keep the clothes because 95% of the fashion here is crap.:frown:

Ozzidoc Apr 5th 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by GoldFinger (Post 6163701)
No flippin' way. Keep the clothes because 95% of the fashion here is crap.:frown:

Same as in the UK, from what I see!

William Semmes Apr 5th 2008 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6163785)

But, at half the price!

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6163785)

hi ozzio :p

dunno where you shop in the usa but there is a big difference in the uk fashion to here, huge difference, even the buyers in the local boutiques here say the same.

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by William Semmes (Post 6163884)
But, at half the price!

it needs to be coz it's basically last yrs or the yrs before or the yrs before that :lol:

Ozzidoc Apr 5th 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6163910)
hi ozzio :p

dunno where you shop in the usa but there is a big difference in the uk fashion to here, huge difference, even the buyers in the local boutiques here say the same.

Hey Truo :)

Ozzidoc and fashion are not two words that should be seen together :rofl::rofl:

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6164176)
Hey Truo :)

Ozzidoc and fashion are not two words that should be seen together :rofl::rofl:

hey ozzio, that explains it then :lol:

prolly a good selection of different coloured scrubs adorns your closet :p;)

truo :)

Elvira Apr 5th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6164338)
hey ozzio, that explains it then :lol:

prolly a good selection of different coloured scrubs adorns your closet :p;)

truo :)

I took a peak in her closet...:

http://www.jascouniform.com/ecom/Category.cfm?&CATID=55

:)

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6164347)

:lol: not forgetting the white shoes to go with them or the more recent crocs :sneaky:

i still can't understand how peeps wear these clothes outside work, they are so ugly and unflattering :eek:

Ozzidoc Apr 5th 2008 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6164347)

LOL.

Wish I could wear this: (without the pattern on the sleeve)

http://www.jascouniform.com/ecom/sho...tGroup_ID=2150

Ozzidoc Apr 5th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6164367)
:lol: not forgetting the white shoes to go with them or the more recent crocs :sneaky:

i still can't understand how peeps wear these clothes outside work, they are so ugly and unflattering :eek:

:eek::eek: Sure are!!

(I have black fake crocs...they're very comfy....and only worn inside the hospital)

Elvira Apr 5th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6164367)
:sneaky:

So what happened to your pink Costco scrubs.......... or do you only wear those when scrubbing the kitchen floor :rofl:

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6164405)
So what happened to your pink Costco scrubs..........

shhhhh you were supposed to keep that quiet and besides they were blue :rofl:

Ray Apr 5th 2008 7:50 pm

Search here for bayonet

http://www.servicelighting.com/

Elvira Apr 5th 2008 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6164452)
shhhhh you were supposed to keep that quiet and besides they were blue :rofl:

:o

:p

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6164484)
:o

:p

:eek::rofl:

TruBrit Apr 5th 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6164477)
Search here for bayonet

http://www.servicelighting.com/

so you reckon the OP is going to need a bayonet when they move here :p

Eleven Apr 6th 2008 8:35 pm

We seem to be in the same boat!
I'm moving from the UK to San Francisco soon.

I've got all the basics sorted out already :
* US Passport (dual citizenship)
* Bank account
* Living quarters
* Job
* Budget
* A few contacts in the city

... but... I've never lived in the US before, and to make the transition even more dramatic, this is my first job! I'm looking for the British expat community in SF. Tips are invaluable and always appreciated :)

Triumphrob Apr 6th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 6169368)
We seem to be in the same boat!
I'm moving from the UK to San Francisco tomorrow.

I've got all the basics sorted out already :
* US Passport (dual citizenship)
* Bank account
* Living quarters
* Job
* Budget
* A few contacts in the city

... but... I've never lived in the US before, and to make the transition even more dramatic, this is my first job! I'm looking for the British expat community in SF. Tips are invaluable and always appreciated :)

Remember if you drop anything on the sidewalk in SF, leave it there, DO NOT bend over to pick it up!

Eleven Apr 6th 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob (Post 6169694)
Remember if you drop anything on the sidewalk in SF, leave it there, DO NOT bend over to pick it up!

What does this mean?

Ray Apr 6th 2008 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 6169820)
What does this mean?

SF has a reputation for being poofter heaven ..

Eleven Apr 6th 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob (Post 6169694)

I'm not scared of gay people. Are you?

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6169844)
SF has a reputation for being poofter heaven ..

Who cares if there are lots of gay people in SF?
I don't care if people have red hair, or collect stamps... why should I care if they are gay or not? It doesn't affect me at all.

Research has shown that around 80% of homophobic men are gay, in denial, and attacking homosexuality in public because they are afraid of being gay themselves.

There's an old saying... "what you hate about the world, you fear in yourself". If you have negative attitudes to homosexuals, I'd suggest taking a pretty close look at your own sexuality.

Personally, I'm pretty confident about my own sexuality, and thus I frankly don't care if the people around me are straight, gay, bi, have sexual fetishes, or whatever. It doesn't matter to me.

Bob Apr 7th 2008 1:53 am

Lighten up, it was a funny off the cusp comment and nothing malicious was meant by it.

If you've checked the forums out at all, you'll see the light hearted posts that people make and won't be surprised by the content.

Anything serious nasty is obviously dealt with, but you've obviously had a sheltered forum life to get this riled up by what was a funny comment if you don't look any deeper than that.

surly Apr 7th 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 6170020)
I'm not scared of gay people. Are you?

Who cares if there are lots of gay people in SF?
I don't care if people have red hair, or collect stamps... why should I care if they are gay or not? It doesn't affect me at all.

Research has shown that around 80% of homophobic men are gay, in denial, and attacking homosexuality in public because they are afraid of being gay themselves.

There's an old saying... "what you hate about the world, you fear in yourself". If you have negative attitudes to homosexuals, I'd suggest taking a pretty close look at your own sexuality.

Personally, I'm pretty confident about my own sexuality, and thus I frankly don't care if the people around me are straight, gay, bi, have sexual fetishes, or whatever. It doesn't matter to me.

Welcome to BE.