Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all
Default Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Hi all,
So I will be moving from London to San Fransico soon.
This will be my first major move so its all rather exciting and scary at the same time.
I have a long list of things to do and have the feeling that I'm forgetting something.
Can anyone give my any tips on things they did right or wrong during their move. Or point me towards a good resource for such things.

Some of the more major things from my list:

Visa: just waiting for the interview
Cancel services: ISP, water, electricity , gas
Notify: Banks, council tax, student loan
Movers: Contacted for initial survey
Plane tickets: booked

Anyone see anything else major??

Cheers
KK
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK -> US soon - Any tips?

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja
Hi all,
This will be my first major move so its all rather exciting and scary at the same time.
I have a long list of things to do and have the feeling that I'm forgetting something.
Can anyone give my any tips on things they did right or wrong during their move. Or point me towards a good resource for such things.

Cheers
KK

Become familiar with craigslist
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Sort out your crap NOW!
Don't bring stuff you never used in the UK all the way to the USA, Don't bring electrical stuff if it doesn't run on 110V 60Hz unless you paid an arm and a leg for it.
Take photos of places you like so if you get home sick you can remind yourself of what home really looked like.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:42 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Cheers
KK
I presume you have accomodation sorted in SF? Will you need to rent a car?

We move out to SF on Sat (T5 at Heathrow issue sorted by then I hope), so do not under extimate how long it will take to claer tha crap out of your house. We knew we have been moving since Dec 07, and so of course am still sorting out now.

Must contact student loans now, as they send you paperwork which has to be returned within 2 months of you arriving in new country or they fine you each month!

Advise you to keep you UK clearing bank account to pay them by Direct debit, and set up another Bank account in SF when you get there.

If you are with HSBC now it will be easier than starting with a new bank out they as apparanelty they can link in to your current branch in UK to see that you are / arent a good customer. At least thats what Ive been told!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:31 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

definatly sort your stuff now. Give away, throw away, charity shop, car boot anything non-essential. Use Freecycle to get other people to come and collect your junk!

I managed to get through about 80% of my house before we came and got rid of loads. I still (6 months on) have boxes in the basement of this rental house that are full of odd bits i shoudlnt have bothered bringing. (our shipping was free with employer - so im not talking about cost more about wasting time and energy lugging the damn stuff about here).

Check the electrical items you are bringing. Do they state dual voltage (ie 110-240) on the plug, transformer or backplate? If it does then you can bring it and just change the plug or cable this end. Otherwise you will need to buy some step up transformers and a uk multiway socket to keep on operating them). But dont do that for small things as they are so cheap here.

If you have a choice of some air freight then chose what will go into it? Find out about where you will be stayig on arrival and what you might need and make sure you have that in suitcase or air freight so it arrives quickly. The rest can be sea freight.

get an international driving licence. (just another useful piece of id).
get a UK amex account (so you can start to build up a credit record now and then tranfser it to a us account once you are here)
if your keeping your home/mortgage make sure the mortgage company give permission for it to be let out. (most reputable letting agents will need to see that anyways).

change mailing address to a family address for stuff like premium bonds and they are not allowed to send this to the US.

if you have aa cover ring them as they can put your 'account' on hold for something like 7 years (as they wont refund) in case you do come back.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:56 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Get together medical paperwork now, and if you have any children sort out their medical paperwork (especially vaccination records) as well. These can take some time to get sorted so best to get them out of the way. You might also want to see some friends and the such now, as the demand on your time as you get closer to your move will be pretty heavy.

You might also take a look at the WIKI on the top of this page and check some of the things in the USA section about culture shock, making friends, etc.

Right now it seems you are in the packing and getting ready to move mode which often distracts people from the 'hard think' about the adjustment they are going to undertake. That usually starts a few weeks after the boxes are unpacked and they ask 'what have I done?!' Might be good to think about a few of those things now before you head out the door.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

read the wiki...search through this forum and read lots...and enjoy
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You did not list whether you have a job? That is vital over here in the Bay.

Hi all,

Cheers
KK
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Bring a very open mind.

Erase from your brain any Hollywood versions of the US you've seen on UK TV. The reality of living here and experiencing the truth will give you culture shock.

Take photos of everything/everyone before you go. If you don't think you'll miss it now you will when you get to the US.

Eat as much variety of Brit food (real fish & chips, chicken and mushroom pie as examples) for the last week because your really going to miss it here.

Get everyones email address. Saves on calling home.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:29 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

Dont do it! Its better in the UK
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers
KK

Throw out all of your clothes and pack your suitcase with as much British Beer as you can get over here (I'm talking real ales, not lager)... I'll meet you at JFK.

No? Oh well.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Throw out all of your clothes and pack your suitcase with as much British Beer as you can get over here (I'm talking real ales, not lager)... I'll meet you at JFK.

No? Oh well.
Day-m. Should have saved my karma for this post!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dont do it! Its better in the UK
i was just going to say the same
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Cheers
KK
Movers - Davies Turner did a great job for us - well wrapped, just received this week and virtually no damage. Lamps easy to convert the plugs, use British wiring but bayonet bulbs in 120 voltage not easy to find. Stepdown Transformers easily available if needed. Be pleased to answer any questions. There is a Treasury form for those leaving the UK. San Francisco is a fabulous city.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by William Semmes
Movers - Davies Turner did a great job for us - well wrapped, just received this week and virtually no damage. Lamps easy to convert the plugs, use British wiring but bayonet bulbs in 120 voltage not easy to find. Stepdown Transformers easily available if needed. Be pleased to answer any questions. There is a Treasury form for those leaving the UK. San Francisco is a fabulous city.
Welcome!!
You're right! Bayonet fitting bulbs are a bitch to find, almost impossible in fact... Best trick, thrown out the lecky lights which require bayonet bulbs before you start packing! See you at JFK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.