British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving from uk to Orlando (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-uk-orlando-753214/)

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:09 pm

Moving from uk to Orlando

Hi just joined this site I am researching moving me and my family to Orlando we have 3 children been to Orlando on many occasions and want a better life for the kids I am finding it all very confusing who do I need to speak to in the uk who can point me in the right direction any info would be fab ie areas, schools, work ?

Poppy girl Mar 29th 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Moving from uk to Orlando

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979452)
Hi just joined this site I am researching moving me and my family to Orlando we have 3 children been to Orlando on many occasions and want a better life for the kids I am finding it all very confusing who do I need to speak to in the uk who can point me in the right direction any info would be fab ie areas, schools, work ?

What visa are you going for!
Wait I see JG had steered you in the right direction :)

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:16 pm

My partner has a honoury citizenship we are getting married in 2 months , i think I need to speak to someone maybe the American embassy here in London about the different visa available what would you suggest ?

Jerseygirl Mar 29th 2012 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979465)
My partner has a honoury citizenship we are getting married in 2 months , i think I need to speak to someone maybe the American embassy here in London about the different visa available what would you suggest ?

How did your partner get 'Honorary Citizenship'? I ask as it may give us some idea exactly what his status is in the US.

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:22 pm

He played golf for England in a tournament there the 5 British folders were given honoury citizenships Do you think this will help us ?

SanDiegogirl Mar 29th 2012 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9979473)
How did your partner get 'Honorary Citizenship'? I ask as it may give us some idea exactly what his status is in the US.

The following people were awarded Honorary Citizenship so the OP is in rarified company !! :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorar..._United_States

Sally Redux Mar 29th 2012 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979477)
He played golf for England in a tournament there the 5 British folders were given honoury citizenships Do you think this will help us ?

What? :lol:

Poppy girl Mar 29th 2012 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 9979485)
The following people were awarded Honorary Citizenship so the OP is in rarified company !! :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorar..._United_States

Well as they are all dead I am a bit concerned that Rachels old man might not be who he say's he is!! ....:confused:

;):lol:....Does he wake up at night with the urge for a cigar!

MoshiMoshi Mar 29th 2012 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979465)

According to Wikipedia, only seven people have been granted honorary citizenship of the USA. The most recent Brit was Winston Churchill...

Hi Rachael, I'm sure you'll think everyone is being very pedantic, but terminology is so important with visa issues.

And don't necessarily expect to get conclusive or accurate advice from calling the US Embassy or any other authorities. You'll need to do a lot of research for yourself. This forum is an excellent resource. :)

(I see everyone else has already beat me to Wikipedia. Damn).

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:32 pm

I thought this forum might help me and my family!!!! Maybe I was wrong we have the document that says citizenship on it it was given to him by the mayor of the town he played golf in along with photos ! I looked on that link and no it isn't a passport looking document it is a headed letter and certification

Jerseygirl Mar 29th 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979477)

In that case is the honorary citizenship US or UK?

From what I've read a person can only become a US honorary citizen by an Act of Congress...or by a proclamation issued by the President of the United States. Only 7 have ever been bestowed...and those people are now dead. US HC's are not entitled to a US passport and their relatives or dependants do not receive any special privileges to enter or stay in the US.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you further.

Edit: I see it was given by a US Mayor. TBH it sounds something like being given 'the keys to a city'. I'm sorry but I can't see how it will help your family move to the US. Perhaps if your partner is an exceptional golfer he could get a visa to work here.

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:33 pm

Thank you will do the best research I can

Sally Redux Mar 29th 2012 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979495)
I thought this forum might help me and my family!!!! Maybe I was wrong we have the document that says citizenship on it it was given to him by the mayor of the town he played golf in along with photos ! I looked on that link and no it isn't a passport looking document it is a headed letter and certification

Can you post a picture of it?

Rachaelsmith30 Mar 29th 2012 11:36 pm

Can try to ,, does anyone know who the best people to speak to about relocating are. ???

Poppy girl Mar 29th 2012 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rachaelsmith30 (Post 9979504)
Can try to ,, does anyone know who the best people to speak to about relocating are. ???

Hun you need a visa to relocate no visa no relocate sadly it's that simple...

Good luck with the Certficate :)