Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to the New York

Moving from the UK to the New York

Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

MeAndHer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to the New York

Hello all,

I've accepted a job offer in New York and looking to move with my wife and 2 kids (3 and 1).
This is an exciting opportunity but we are very worried about the effect that it will have on our family life, mainly in our eldest daughters education and acclimatisation.

I'm very keen on this job prospect and the potential progression it will provide which also means financial stability for me and my family but worried about the "what if"....
Without my wife working our income would be around $110k per year and we plan on renting a house/apartment in brooklyn.

Any advice regarding the cost and comfort of living in that area and that amount of money and any school/nursery tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to the New York

In my opinion the kids will be fine and should acclimatise easily at that age. My concern would be the salary and only one of you working. You will be looking at apartments not houses with a $110K salary.

There are a few nice family type areas in Brooklyn with reasonable schools, Park Slope and Cobble Hill spring to mind. There are also lots of areas to avoid! We have friends in Brooklyn Heights which is also nice but they don't have kids so I'm not to sure about schools there. Take a look at this site it might help with schools and neighbourhood info. Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools

Basic rule of thumb, the areas which seem to have high rents usually have the better schools.

Be prepared to pay $$$$ for a good pre school nursery and remember kids start school here a year later than in the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.
i was mainly looking at either Park slope or bay ridge as i understand that they both have good schools. bay ridge will have the upper hand in terms of affordability though park slope will cut the commute and close to an amazing park.

im not sure about taxes and other wage deductions, how much net per month would £110k get me? luckily since i've posted the message i found out that my wifes skills are compatible so she should be able to find a good job but i was always taught to expect the worse and hope for the best and that is the basis of my thoughts.

Ive read that in 2013 the average family of 4 in Manhattan needs to earn around $93k per year to live on which excludes savings and treats such as eating out, movies etc... if this is accurate shouldnt $110k and living out of Manhattan work in our favour?

Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MeAndHer
Thanks for the feedback.
i was mainly looking at either Park slope or bay ridge as i understand that they both have good schools. bay ridge will have the upper hand in terms of affordability though park slope will cut the commute and close to an amazing park.

im not sure about taxes and other wage deductions, how much net per month would £110k get me? luckily since i've posted the message i found out that my wifes skills are compatible so she should be able to find a good job but i was always taught to expect the worse and hope for the best and that is the basis of my thoughts.

Ive read that in 2013 the average family of 4 in Manhattan needs to earn around $93k per year to live on which excludes savings and treats such as eating out, movies etc... if this is accurate shouldnt $110k and living out of Manhattan work in our favour?

You do realise that some visas will NOT allow your wife to work.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Ive cleared that with my employer and was told that under my visa she would be allowed to work
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea about your taxes or deductions thats like asking how long is a piece of string as there are so many things to consider. I'll leave that to the financial people on here to point you in the right direction.

Where did you find the info on $93K being enough to live on in Manhattan for a family of 4? I'd suggest you would need to double that to be comfortable and have a rainy day pot for unforeseen expenses.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

I forgot the website i saw it on, it was actually in a few.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

found it:

NYC - Most expensive place to live (Accord: apartment, rent) - New York City - New York - City-Data Forum
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

it was on a forum website called city-data, not sure if youve heard about it
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ive cleared that with my employer and was told that under my visa she would be allowed to work
When you said you had "accepted a job offer" it sounded as if this was a new employer, and thus probably on an H1B. If your current employer is transferring you on a L1, she will indeed be able to apply for authorization to work, but you will find that the cost of childcare for two young children will wipe out a great deal of that advantage. Where in the city will you be working? Bay Ridge (Saturday Night Fever territory) although more affordable, is a good way out.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

it is a new employer and so not an inter-company relocation.
I've asked a direct question and received a direct answer which i dont believe to be untrue but of course i will double check to avoid any nasty surprises.

on public transport it will take me an roughly an hour door to door which is pretty much what it takes me here so that's not a problem.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs P and I moved to NY from London 13 years ago, inflation adjusted I was on similar money to you, and live a relatively modest life style - no meals at fancy restaurants, no theater/shows, no frequent trips away with hotels and airfares. At that time we had no children. ..... We left NY after 8 months for several reasons, but right at the top was that we could not find an acceptable life - cost of living balance.

We lived in Westchester, just to the north of NYC, so had a "cheap" apartment, about ⅔ the cost of an apartment in Manhattan. ...... How family would survive in Manhattan on less than $93k I cannot imagine, except that it would involve housing assistance, no treats, no holidays, no air travel, and no 401k (private pension) savings.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked a direct question and received a direct answer which i dont believe to be untrue but of course i will double check to avoid any nasty surprises. .....
Can I be blunt. .... What visa is your prospective employer applying for for you? .... If you don't know you need to find out. The visa type will affect several things, including whether your wife will be allowed to work.

There aren't many options, and an L1 requires you to have been an employee for a minimum of 12 months outside the US. An H-1A is the most common alternative, but if you don't already have one, your prospective employer can't apply until next April for a start date in October next year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2014 at 4:34 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked a direct question and received a direct answer which i dont believe to be untrue but of course i will double check to avoid any nasty surprises.
Then I'm afraid that doesn't make sense. Sounds like the H1B, which gives your wife an H4 and does not permit employment.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

You can be blunt and i appreciate the feedback, its the reason why i joined this forum.

Im yet to know the visa type offered. ill know more later in the week.
ill be a new employee to the company and transffered straight away which rules out inter-company visa. from what I gather it will be an L1 visa but im not sure yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.