Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to New Jersey

Moving from UK to New Jersey

Old Jan 25th 2020, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mattw7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to New Jersey

Hi all,

restarting this conversation from a similar thread about moving to New Jersey from the UK.

We are looking at moving to New Jersey later this year.

We came out to visit last week and my partner was offered a job in Westwood, Bergen County. We are looking for rental accommodation somewhere between there and Hanover. Does anyone have any recommendations of towns to live in that are about 30 mins to each? We are specifically looking for a more rural area, as we are taking our dog.

We are worried about the lack of credit history as well in terms of house rentals, car leases etc. I have spoken to some colleagues in the New Jersey office and been given some advice to help with this (certain garages, banks etc), does anyone have any further insight that might be useful?

We have a lot more questions but that is probably enough for now!

thanks in advance,

Matt

In answer to the question asked on the previous thread, we are able to get some help from HR at my company (it is a British company that has significant experience of people making this move).

Last edited by Mattw7; Jan 25th 2020 at 4:10 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 25th 2020, 4:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Moving from UK to New Jersey

My first thought was "visa?" and some people are going to be reluctant to invest much time in replying until you confirm that you have a plausible route to a visa, but for now I will assume that you have the visa angle covered.

My thoughts on your proposed move are the sheer cost of living in New Jersey, especially if you have children. Obviously it also depends on your expectations as being fresh out of uni your expectations of life would be very different from a couple with teenagers and manager-level income. That said, I would suggest that household income of $100k for a couple in their 20's should be considered the barest minimum to make the move desirable, and that would rise to $150k for a couple in their 40's used to a few of the nicer things in life, and to $200k for a family with teenagers.

There may be one or two BE'ers along to tell us they raised a family in New York on $2 and a sack of beans every week, but growing up in an area and living as a local with family support is very different from relocating from another prosperous industrialized country with a decent standard of living and expecting the same when you arrive in the US.

For context, I lived in New York myself when we first moved over, back in 2001-2002, and we had considered living in NJ too. The cost of living there, in the whole NYC area, is insane, and we are now very happy in NC, but the question has occasionally come up, as to what it would take, by way of salary, to persuade me to return to New York, and the answer, even ten years ago, was about $400k, and the answer today honestly, would be closer to $500k, so that we could reasonably afford to replicate the standard of living we have in NC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 25th 2020 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You use the term "partner". Is this partner your husband or wife? If not, they cannot be included on your visa to the US.

I found your post a bit confusing. Your partner was offered a position but you were the one talking to YOUR colleagues in the office about living in New Jersey. So which is it? You or They have the visa offer?

Last edited by Rete; Jan 25th 2020 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both for your replies, so I clearly missed a key piece of information out! So I have dual citizenship UK/US with a US passport, social security number etc, so therefore don’t need a Visa.

I have lots of family in the US but they all live in the mid west and are therefore not able to give much help about the local areas etc. And certainly not able to give advice on moving related queries from the UK.

We are currently evaluating options for my partner (not married) and getting her Visa sorted. She has completed her conversion exam already to work in the US and has been offered a job and Visa Sponsorship, however, this I understand would mean going into the lottery, even though she is highly qualified in a field that the US is short of.

I also visited my companies office whilst out there and have a verbal job offer at the moment and a few other potential jobs if that falls through.

In terms of the monetary aspect, we don’t have children (just one dog), are both around 30 and would be in top of the income brackets suggested.

Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:47 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Some more rural towns that would be good for walking a dog and about 35 minutes (more during rush hour) from both Westwood and East Hanover are Ringwood and Kinnelon. There are many hiking trails in the areas and nice lakes. Decent schools if you need schools later on. The houses in Bergen county are usually more expensive than Upper Passaic county, but the property taxes can be higher in Upper Passaic county. Both Ringwood and Kinnelon are near major highways (287/80/23). Also, in the more rural towns, you may well need a car good in the snow as the roads can get pretty treacherous in the more rural towns in the winter. Overall, NJ is known to be expensive to live especially when you throw kids in the picture, however, schools are known to be pretty good, but can vary from town to town. I have worked in Westwood and Florham Park(next to Novartis/East Hanover) so I know quite a bit about both towns. I prefer Westwood over East Hanover, more to do and a nice little downtown area. Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattw7
We are currently evaluating options for my partner (not married) and getting her Visa sorted. She has completed her conversion exam already to work in the US and has been offered a job and Visa Sponsorship, however, this I understand would mean going into the lottery, even though she is highly qualified in a field that the US is short of.
I also visited my companies office whilst out there and have a verbal job offer at the moment and a few other potential jobs if that falls through.

I.
You also have the option of getting married and doing a spouse visa - much simpler and probably quicker.
If your partner has been offered a job then I presume it is going to be an H1B visa. That lottery open in April for starting work in October. Very oversubscribed.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 12:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You also have the option of getting married and doing a spouse visa - much simpler and probably quicker. .....
Not necessarily - there may be personal reasons why Mattw7 or his partner are unable marry.
.... I presume it is going to be an H1B visa. That lottery opens in April for starting work in October. Very oversubscribed.
I heard that the time for applications has been moved backwards into March.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2020 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I heard that the time for applications has been moved backwards into March.
i read that too, I think it’s lightweight application in March, lottery draw and then those who successful with lottery submit full paperwork.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the Visa advice. We are looking at our options this week to decide on the best way forward. One option we will look at is a UK civil partnership, unfortunately as it’s such a new thing I can’t seem to find much information about it’s translation to the US. I don’t suppose anyone has any experience with this at all?

Thanks Moi for your insight of the local area, we were looking at Kinnelon so it’s good to hear a recommendation for there. We have also had West Milford suggested, do you think that would also be a good option? I like the fact they are closer to the ski resorts!

Old Jan 26th 2020, 2:18 pm

Thanks all for the Visa advice. We are looking at our options this week to decide on the best way forward. One option we will look at is a UK civil partnership, unfortunately as it’s such a new thing I can’t seem to find much information about it’s translation to the US. I don’t suppose anyone has any experience with this at all? ....
There are no "civil partnerships" in the US, you're either "married", or not, and clearly, from the perspective of the US, if you have a civil partnership, you are "not".
Old Jan 26th 2020, 3:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the Visa advice. We are looking at our options this week to decide on the best way forward. One option we will look at is a UK civil partnership, unfortunately as it’s such a new thing I can’t seem to find much information about it’s translation to the US. I don’t suppose anyone has any experience with this at all?

Thanks Moi for your insight of the local area, we were looking at Kinnelon so it’s good to hear a recommendation for there. We have also had West Milford suggested, do you think that would also be a good option? I like the fact they are closer to the ski resorts!
Just about anywhere in Northern NJ is a good area in regardless to skiing operations. You are close to the Poconos in NJ and PA and close to the Catskills in NY. Day trips all around.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Just about anywhere in Northern NJ is a good area in regardless to skiing operations. You are close to the Poconos in NJ and PA and close to the Catskills in NY. Day trips all around.
Skiing on the US East Coast us significantly different from ski resorts in Europe - there are neither the mountain slopes, nor the altitude, and therefore the length of runs, and East Coast skiing is often critically dependent on artificial snow.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:00 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think Kinnelon is nicer than West Milford. There are more hillbillies in West Milford and black bears and I think more log cabin-style houses. Also, I'm not 100% sure but there is more septic than sewer water in West Milford than Kinnelon so you will have to maintain a septic system. Kinnelon is closer to more shopping./ highways. Although you do not need schools right now, Kinnelon schools are rated much higher than West Milford schools so in turn real estate is more expensive. Mountain Creek in Vernon has a lot of beginner skiers and can get mobbed. Mount Peter in Orange County, NY is a much better step up for skiing (my husband and older son used to have memberships and was about 40 minutes from us). Good skiers usually head up to NY State and Vermont for the long weekends. Personally, I prefer Kinnelon and Ringwood over West Milford with or without kids. Ringwood base their houses around the 3 lakes (Cupsaw, Erskine and Skyline Lake) and Stonetown. All very nice and family spirit/community. Kinnelon has Smoke Rise which is really beautiful, but pricey. Whatever you end up looking at, make sure you factor in the property taxes!, possibly lake memberships and septic and well water. You have Ramapo hiking trails in Ringwood and many others in Kinnelon and West Milford for the dog. My kids and I have stepped in dog crap several times to know that tons of people bring their dogs to these trails. I live in Wanaque because it is is cheaper than Ringwood and Kinnelon. We live in a condo and our property taxes are almost $10k per year. From there, we can to the George Washington Bridge/Lincoln Tunnel in about 45 minutes with no traffic not that we really go into NYC anymore - too busy with life and kids. I commute to Teaneck every day and my commute in rush hour is about 1 hour.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Whatever you end up looking at, make sure you factor in the property taxes!, possibly lake memberships and septic and well water.

Not sure why you thlnk that this is such a big deal? I've never had a house in the US that doesn't have it's own well and septic. Other than a couple of freak accidents when my well got hit by lightning, the maintenance is negligible -- and many desirable areas outside the city centers in the NE are not "hooked up" to the mains.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:14 pm

Default Re: Moving from UK to New Jerse

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Not sure why you thlnk that this is such a big deal? I've never had a house in the US that doesn't have it's own well and septic. Other than a couple of freak accidents when my well got hit by lightning, the maintenance is negligible -- and many desirable areas outside the city centers in the NE are not "hooked up" to the mains.
We have a well and septic tank, and wouldn't willingly move to a house with city water utilities - our well water is clear and "sweet", far superior to any utility water I have tasted, but that can vary substantially based on local geology.

The septic tank has been emptied once in 21 years, and even that (at around the 15 year point) was precautionary, so it will be at least another ten years before it is pumped again. The house next door to us went about 25 years before the tank was pumped for the first time, also on a precautionary basis.

We know there is a risk of a catastrophic event in the well, including it drying up, which could cost $10k plus, but locally that is a pretty rare phenomenon.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2020 at 5:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.