Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Old May 16th 2022, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Originally Posted by Flaxe
I've been offered my dream job in LA. I currently live in the UK with my partner, and I promised to them that if we were to make the move across the pond, it'd need to increase the quality of life for both of us.
Unfortunately, the visa I would get would only allow me to work, so they'd have to put their career on hold. They're willing to do so, but I want to make sure I can afford the best time for both of us whilst we're over there!
My partner not being able to work or progress her career are serious drawbacks, so we've agreed it would be a short term thing - 18 months to 24 months max before we call it quits and head back home, so she can work again
This was the main sticking point for me, that I've spoken to her about a lot. She would look into volunterring, more time on gym stuff etc but really it's all just temporary padding, and wouldn't work long term. We're aware of this, and it's why we set a limit on how long we could do it for. 18 months seems an upper limit where we're willing to give this a go.

I'm just trying to do the maths on whether my partner and I can stay happy during it.

It's a tough one to decide on. And is compounded more and more on - do I want to pull my girlfriend out of her career, out of our comfort, and then bloody marry her! For her to sit at home waiting for me all day. It's not a fair deal on her - and from the sounds of it, I couldn't afford to improve her quality of life much with the money I'd be earning
She's got a business degree and 4 years under her belt in a good position at a UK branch of a US based company,
And regarding me working overtime just to try and keep the income up, yeah it's not ideal as I want to spend a much time with her as possible. Makes it feel like the only sensible option is to stay in the UK, keep our careers and earnings ongoing, and then just enjoy nice holidays together as we already do
There may be another option....
Before suggesting it I do want to say that the constraints of the tight budget are not what I find most concerning.
What's most worrying is that the scenario you project would gradually turn an independent, fully functioning and busily engaged woman, who has been your PARTNER in your shared life together, into your "DEPENDANT'- a shadow appendage without purpose.
That would be horrific for her and could likely destroy the "partnership" if not her mental health. And perhaps yours a.s well

But none of that need be:
You've mentioned she has a business degree - and has been working in her field for 4 years.
Your LA job offer could provide an ideal opportunity for your partner to invest in her own career advancement:
She could use the 2 years away from work to get her Masters.
Right here!
In Los Angeles! ........
And if she did that you would not be the sole reason she was here. And she wouldn't be holed up all day in a Palms apartment with no friends or pursuits - just waiting for you to come home.
Furthermore - I believe that after the 1st year - she might even be allowed to engage in some kind of (minimally) remunerative work (?) if, instead of coming over on a derivative Visa, she came on her own Student Visa.
There are several Universities in LA with Westside campuses, which offer MBAs....even one in Playa Vista (Loyola Marymount). Others are UCLA and Pepperdine

I don't think this would be cheap....but she could look into Grants and Scholarships to help subsidise it. And remember - it would be an investment with a pretty certain return.

Good luck to you both - whatever you decide .......

Last edited by MMcD; May 16th 2022 at 11:23 pm.
Old May 17th 2022, 12:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
There may be another option....
Before suggesting it I do want to say that the constraints of the tight budget are not what I find most concerning.
What's most worrying is that the scenario you project would gradually turn an independent, fully functioning and busily engaged woman, who has been your PARTNER in your shared life together, into your "DEPENDANT'- a shadow appendage without purpose.
That would be horrific for her and could likely destroy the "partnership" if not her mental health. And perhaps yours a.s well

But none of that need be:
You've mentioned she has a business degree - and has been working in her field for 4 years.
Your LA job offer could provide an ideal opportunity for your partner to invest in her own career advancement:
She could use the 2 years away from work to get her Masters.
Right here!
In Los Angeles! ........
And if she did that you would not be the sole reason she was here. And she wouldn't be holed up all day in a Palms apartment with no friends or pursuits - just waiting for you to come home.
Furthermore - I believe that after the 1st year - she might even be allowed to engage in some kind of (minimally) remunerative work (?) if, instead of coming over on a derivative Visa, she came on her own Student Visa.
There are several Universities in LA with Westside campuses, which offer MBAs....even one in Playa Vista (Loyola Marymount). Others are UCLA and Pepperdine

I don't think this would be cheap....but she could look into Grants and Scholarships to help subsidise it. And remember - it would be an investment with a pretty certain return.

Good luck to you both - whatever you decide .......
USICE has published a schdule of non-immigrants who can study. I know that my “maven” on study still practices near Carthay Circle. He also advise the schools. A sweet human being who knows his stuff. Do note that this schedule does NOT have the force of law.

Last edited by S Folinsky; May 17th 2022 at 12:09 am.
Old May 17th 2022, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

So, my salary would be $90k.
This is not a lot of money for someone who requires a visa sponsorship. It may work in H1-B category but I suspect it'd be highly scrutinized in O-1 and L-1 categories.

The cost of living is higher in the US than the UK. £75,000 =~ $93,500. I think you would need to look at a 30% increase, so a £75,000 UK salary would roughly equal to $120,000 US salary.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Flaxe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for their further answers! There have been some great points here.

We've been recommended the masters route, and it could be fantastic! But the price just seems so high, that we couldn't afford it. But, we didn't look at grants or scholarships - that's something we can look further into.

Looking at the whole thing - let's say I came over with an initial $15k to cover the first month or two, and then also expect a $20k bonus at some point in the year - is this suddenly much more affordable? Also, I would be able to earn about £1000 on rent in the UK, which after mortgage repayments would leave me with about £600 extra a month - does anybody else know how much after US tax on that I might have left, that again I could use to supplement my monthly income?

Also, regarding keeping my partner (yes, will be wife 😁) entertained during the daytime, I'd be working from home half the week hopefully, so that wouldn't be so lonely for her. On the days I'm out, I'd love to be able to find fun things and classes she could do, e.g pottery and painting classes. She'd love things like that! And I think it could make an 18 month stint much more palatable. But again, we probably still couldn't afford a car - so living near the metro e line is crucial, and finding activities near its stops even more so
Old May 18th 2022, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Flaxe is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah sorry and also, yes I'd love her to be able to find work out there. She'd love that too! We just worry about the visa situation, and whether companies would be interested in offering her one. It might be a lot easier once she's already living out there, but there's no guarantee which makes it risky to rely on it. Hopefully earning her more senior position recently would help with impressing the places she's applying for, but when these companies could hire someone without the faff of visa costs and lotteries, I worry that they wouldn't even entertain the idea in the first place
Old May 18th 2022, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Also, regarding keeping my partner (yes, will be wife 😁) entertained during the daytime, I'd be working from home half the week hopefully, so that wouldn't be so lonely for her. On the days I'm out, I'd love to be able to find fun things and classes she could do, e.g pottery and painting classes. She'd love things like that! And I think it could make an 18 month stint much more palatable. But again, we probably still couldn't afford a car - so living near the metro e line is crucial, and finding activities near its stops even more so
Don't forget the "Big Blue Bus" - Her chauffeur to all 3 Westside Unis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Blue_Bus
https://www.bigbluebus.com/routes-and-schedules/
https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-an.../Route-16.aspx
ps: Both UCLA and Santa Monica Colleges offer a variety of "Extension Programs" (individual courses, not degree programs)

Last edited by MMcD; May 18th 2022 at 3:36 pm. Reason: added link
Old May 18th 2022, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their further answers! There have been some great points here.

We've been recommended the masters route, and it could be fantastic! But the price just seems so high, that we couldn't afford it. But, we didn't look at grants or scholarships - that's something we can look further into.

Looking at the whole thing - let's say I came over with an initial $15k to cover the first month or two, and then also expect a $20k bonus at some point in the year - is this suddenly much more affordable? Also, I would be able to earn about £1000 on rent in the UK, which after mortgage repayments would leave me with about £600 extra a month - does anybody else know how much after US tax on that I might have left, that again I could use to supplement my monthly income?

Sorry, but could not imagine not having a car and living in LA - you'd be stuck in the environs of LA ! or having to rent a car everytime you wanted to go out of the city limits.
Old May 18th 2022, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The US has a 26 trillion dollar economy. In addition to this it is estimated to have a off the books cash only economy of about 3 trillion which is as big as the UK economy.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
The US has a 26 trillion dollar economy. ....
The World Bank says was $21Trn, in 2020,
Old May 18th 2022, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The World Bank says was $21Trn, in 2020,
2020 isn't exactly the most representitive year ever
Old May 18th 2022, 10:49 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm….I confess to losing the plot here…..why do we care about the size of the US economy on this post?
Old May 18th 2022, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Hmmm….I confess to losing the plot here…..why do we care about the size of the US economy on this post?
My point was if someone makes a few bucks on the side they won’t be alone.
Old May 18th 2022, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I did too
Then decided it's a subtle reference to this as a funding suggestion for the OP's partner...

Originally Posted by ddsrph
The US has a 26 trillion dollar economy. In addition to this it is estimated to have a off the books cash only economy of about 3 trillion which is as big as the UK economy.
Old May 19th 2022, 3:04 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense, and yes there is large black economy.
Old May 19th 2022, 3:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
2020 isn't exactly the most representitive year ever
Well if you want to adjust back the estimated 2020 decline of 3.5% you get to $21.7Trn, which is still 20% short of $26Trn originally posted above. But congratulations on being correct as that seems to be important to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.