Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Old May 18th 2015, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
I had a quick look on Zillow between $2k and $3k and found properties matching my initial "dream"...for example

Houses For Rent - 3 Homes | Zillow
Properties matching your "dream"?
Best look again if the "dream" includes your chinchillas:

The link you provide currently lists 4 houses

Three of them say : No Pets

The only one which does allow pets says: No Air Conditioning

It specifies all that if you read the descriptions - but you can quickly see those details by putting your cursor on the little symbols over to the right (the column where each house is listed with it's thumbnail photo.)

Don't mean to be a downer and I'm not saying it's going to be impossible - but it definitely won't be easy......
Old May 19th 2015, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Properties matching your "dream"?
Best look again if the "dream" includes your chinchillas:

The link you provide currently lists 4 houses

Three of them say : No Pets

The only one which does allow pets says: No Air Conditioning

It specifies all that if you read the descriptions - but you can quickly see those details by putting your cursor on the little symbols over to the right (the column where each house is listed with it's thumbnail photo.)

Don't mean to be a downer and I'm not saying it's going to be impossible - but it definitely won't be easy......
I don't know what you're looking at after you click the link, but if you click the menu link there is a section marked "Pet friendly homes", and there are lots of apartments and a some single family homes that will accept pets.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 19th 2015 at 2:35 am.
Old May 19th 2015, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know what you're looking at after you click the link, but if you click the menu link there is a section marked "Pet friendly homes", and there are lots of appartments and a some single family homes that will accept pets.
We were in an Avalon apartment and something like that would be good to start with. The building shown on there is a 10-minute walk from Butbank town centre, which is quite a nice place. I think Fatboy is still thinking in Manchester terms (understandably), but better to get into the local way of life.
Old May 21st 2015, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for the advice, learning every day.
We are definitely upping the rent we'll pay to around $2.5k month which has opened up more of the type of property we're looking for.

Im interested in getting your opinions on a good salary to have in LA that allows you to live safe and comfortably, with ok expendable income? I quoted what we hope to expect earlier in this thread and wondered if you think that's enough
Old May 21st 2015, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for the advice, learning every day.
We are definitely upping the rent we'll pay to around $2.5k month which has opened up more of the type of property we're looking for.

Im interested in getting your opinions on a good salary to have in LA that allows you to live safe and comfortably, with ok expendable income? I quoted what we hope to expect earlier in this thread and wondered if you think that's enough
I saw $90,000 as your like-for-like - has she got an actual offer yet? A good salary will be the one you can get to some extent.

With no kids $100,000 odd will be doable I'd say.

Don't know if you have used something like this to see take-home:

http://www.calculator.net/take-home-pay-calculator.html

Last edited by Sally Redux; May 21st 2015 at 12:31 pm.
Old May 21st 2015, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sally Redux.

No offer yet.
So i have been playing with various tax and take home calculators and, particularly the one you linked to, needs me to input what the tax rates are.
Are these the tax rates we'd pay in California:

14.9% Income tax
3.9% Social Sec
1.45% Medicare
7.71 Cali' state tax

Im just doing calculations based on this, estimated salary and seeing what is left on a monthly basis to pay rent, insurances etc

If you don't mind me asking, what salary ranges have other brits gone over to LA on?
Old May 21st 2015, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally Redux.

No offer yet.
So i have been playing with various tax and take home calculators and, particularly the one you linked to, needs me to input what the tax rates are.

14.9% Income tax
3.9% Social Sec
1.45% Medicare
7.71 Cali' state tax .....
There is federal income tax, which is "banded", like income tax in the UK, and (in most states) state income tax. Is the 14.9% just CA state income tax?

Is the 7.71 CA sales tax?
.... If you don't mind me asking, what salary ranges have other brits gone over to LA on?
How long is a piece of string? Some marry a USC and come over without a job to go to, so effectively $0. Some consultants, executives, and what have you, probably come over on more than $1,000,000.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I noted an earlier question on the tax system:

No "council tax." No VAT [it would probably be unconstitutional]

There is a Federal Income Tax. [Which had been declared unconstitutional but it was later allowed by the 16th Amendment]. In additional, California does have a state income tax -- which pretty much track the Federal system [in fact, the California return has the Federal return attached and gives the differences in the tax systems]. The tax rates are progressive and also can take into account married taxpayers].

In computing the income tax, one must take account of "deductions" and "credits" -- the deductions reduce the amount subject to tax [and therefore indirectly reduce taxes], while the credits are reductions in the amount of taxes paid. Unless one owns a home and deducts mortgage interest, most people take the "standard deduction."

Although there is no VAT, there is a State/Local sales tax. There are items not subject to sales tax, the biggest being food in the markets [prepared food in restaurants is taxed].

In payment of salary, the employer must withhold certain percentages for taxes, social security and medicare contributions. If one is self-employed, then quarterly payments must be made. Also, inasmuch as social security is funded by both employer and employee, there is a self-employment tax to compensate partially for the lack of employer contributions.

Property owners are subject to property taxes -- in California, it is capped by "Proposition 13" to roughly 1% of actual cash value but cannot increase more than 2% per year. [That rate is quite low compared to other states, even "low tax" states.]

I hopes this helps.

Last edited by S Folinsky; May 21st 2015 at 4:03 pm.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally Redux.

No offer yet.

14.9% Income tax
3.9% Social Sec
1.45% Medicare
7.71 Cali' state tax

Im just doing calculations based on this, estimated salary and seeing what is left on a monthly basis to pay rent, insurances etc

If you don't mind me asking, what salary ranges have other brits gone over to LA on?
CA/SoCal, not Cali (different country). Generally though, bank on around 25-30% of your entire income being given away for tax and be pleasantly surprised if it's less. There are so many variables (way above the percentages above) that the calculators are virtually useless.

To simplify Mr F's excellent description, let's say your combined income is $100,000. You immediately disregard a certain amount for items that can be disregarded for tax purposes - let's say $10,000 of that. So your income is taxed on $90,000 instead. The "standard deduction" is, I suppose, an average amount that saves you itemising each possible deduction - but you probably want to do that anyway, just to make sure that the standard deduction is going to be better or not.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Sally Redux.

No offer yet.

14.9% Income tax
3.9% Social Sec
1.45% Medicareg
7.71 Cali' state tax

I think it will figure the federal income tax for you - you need to input the state income tax rate and your withholdings I think. California : California Income Tax Rates for 2015 looks like 9.3% for $100,000 filing married (got to admit I use a tax preparer!)

I'll try inputting those

OK this is what I got inputting 9.3% state tax, no federal deductions and leaving 500 for 401(K) (pension):

Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please-image.jpg

Last edited by Sally Redux; May 21st 2015 at 5:01 pm.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

I do find the tax confusing and need some help please.
The above figures were taking from a post I found so actually ignore them a little.
I've used this site, plus google, to help me know the rates.

State taxes: California

I've also used these sites to determine how much id pay on a $90k salary

Paycheck Calculator
California State Tax Tables 2015

So to be clear, is this correct....

- I would pay a Federal Income Tax on my gross salary (minus deductions credits). I have found this to be, based on $90k salary, 10% on the first $9.2k, 15% on the $9.3k to $37.4k, and 25% on the remaining $52k

- I would also pay a California State Tax of about 6% on my Gross Salary

- I would pay 6.2% on Social Security

- I would pay 1.45% on Medicare

- So on average paying about 30% across the year, without considering any deductions etc
Old May 21st 2015, 4:59 pm

.... So to be clear, is this correct....

- I would pay a Federal Income Tax on my gross salary (minus deductions credits). I have found this to be, based on $90k salary, 10% on the first $9.2k, 15% on the $9.3k to $37.4k, and 25% on the remaining $52k

- So on average paying about 30% across the year, without considering any deductions etc
30% sounds about right, though there are various things that can be deducted pre-tax, such as 401k (private pension) contributions, and contributions to some health expense accounts. Also home owners can deduct mortgage interest and potentially second mortgage interest. Those things might cut several percent off your aggregate deductions from gross income. (Obviously the mortgage interest deduction doesn't apply unless/until you buy a home).

There is also the peculiar matter of being allowed to deduct the income tax you pay to the state from your gross income before you calculate your federal income tax. So let's say you pay 6% state income tax on $100,000, your federal income tax will be based on $94,000, so you will pay $1,500 less federal income tax (25%x $6,000) because of your state income tax. If you live in a state with no income tax you can aggregate all the sales tax you have paid during the year and deduct that from your federal tax computation instead.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 21st 2015 at 5:32 pm.
Old May 21st 2015, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do find the tax confusing and need some help please.
The above figures were taking from a post I found so actually ignore them a little.
I've used this site, plus google, to help me know the rates.

State taxes: California

I've also used these sites to determine how much id pay on a $90k salary

Paycheck Calculator
California State Tax Tables 2015

So to be clear, is this correct....

See my edit but taking 30% off gross is probably about right. How much is your health insurance going to be?
Old May 21st 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It should also be mentioned that if one is a US "resident" for tax purposes [which is often different from the immigration definitions], US income tax applies to WORLDWIDE income. So, lets say one rents out the home in the UK while living in the US, the income and expenses of the UK property has to be factored in. This can also apply to interest and dividends.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

personally, unless you're a big fan of very hot weather (32oC+), I think you should be looking in West LA/Beverly Wood/Culver City areas - areas basically around 10miles west of down town LA. I know some folks like it, but I find once I get in over 28-29oC I have to run indoors. The west side of LA is significantly cooler then the areas 10miles+ north/south/east of downtown LA. I've lived on the west side for 14yrs+ without air conditioning, and there's literally only 2-3 weeks in the whole year when I wish I had it. When I go north into the valley - well, I just couldn't live with that heat, and I think it's a waste to live in LA and not be able to take advantage of the outdoors. For me, the west side of LA has the best weather, year round, of anywhere. LA is a fantastic place to live, but in my opinion, the two worst aspects are dealing with extreme heat if you live in an extreme heat area, and dealing with the traffic. The west side keeps you out the extreme heat, and staying around 10miles from known work place should keep you in the under 45min each way commute level. When we bought our first house, we literally drew a 10mile radius around my wifes work, did the same for mine, looked at neighborhoods in the overlap area, and found a good one we could afford. Couldn't be happier! I have friends that live further out and deal with 30-37oC weather through the whole summer, and spend 2-4hrs per day in their car. No thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.