Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Evansville IN

Moving from UK to Evansville IN

Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Eyre 16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Evansville IN

My husband has got a job transfer to KY, have been looking at Evansville, looks ok, but would like some more feed back, or areas that are close to evansville.
Schools
Health care ETC
Activities and attractions for families

Thank you

N
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Evansville KY

Originally Posted by Eyre 16
Health care ETC
Health care is not going to be specific to KY. Health care has to do with what the company coverage is like.

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Health care is not going to be specific to KY. Health care has to do with what the company coverage is like.

Rene

Even though I believe that Evansville is actually in Indiana!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned in the welcome thread, check out city-data.com for the area.

http://www.greatschools.org/ for schooling.

Healthcare will depend on what the insurance coverage offered by the company is. There's a lot of info about what it all means in the wiki here and plenty of threads going over the whole nightmare/minefield.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

thank you really appreciate all the help and advice x
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Evansville is on the border of Kentucky but technically located in Indiana. Unless there is another Evansville in Kentucky (possible).

Check out city-data.com/forum for city specific advice.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/indiana/

Do you know what type of visa they are offering?

Our WIKI has basic primers on US education and health care 'how to'

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eyre 16
My husband has got a job transfer to KY, have been looking at Evansville...
Be aware that if he's working in KY but living in IN, then you might find that several of your local healthcare providers might be considered "out of network" and any of those costs might not be covered by insurance.

It's one of those things that you need to be aware of if, like me, you live in one state but work in another... and you prefer the physicians that are local to where you live.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Be aware that if he's working in KY but living in IN, then you might find that several of your local healthcare providers might be considered "out of network" and any of those costs might not be covered by insurance.

It's one of those things that you need to be aware of if, like me, you live in one state but work in another... and you prefer the physicians that are local to where you live.

Ian
Not to mention having another state tax return to have to deal with...unless either of those states are income tax free, but didn't think they were?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not to mention having another state tax return to have to deal with...unless either of those states are income tax free, but didn't think they were?
They aren't. But you will only pay state taxes to one of them. We live in KY, but hubby works in Indiana. He has some local Indiana taxes taken out of his check, but only pays state taxes to KY. Employers along the border are used to how to setup the tax deductions (or at least they should be, as its pretty common to work on one side of the river and live on the other). I worked through it on turbo tax last year, and we came out at owing IN $0, so I wasn't about to pay the additional $40 to file another state tax form to get nothing back from them.

Eyre16, Evansville is definitely in Indiana. I'm a KY native and have been there a couple of times. It's a decent size town, but definitely not a bustling city. That's probably the biggest city in that area. If your hubby's job is in KY, you could also consider Owensboro, KY, but I don't know how close that would be to your husband's job. I'm a bit partial to KY myself, since I'm from here, but I think either would probably be about the same. Evansville is closer to St. Louis though, if that's a place you'd like to go. And Evansville will probably be a bit bigger, population-wise.

You need to ask them if they offer group health insurance to their employees, and if they do, tell them to give you the breakdown of what it covers. Ask what the co-pays for office visits are, what the deductibles are (think excess), and what the max out-of-pocket expenses are, and most importantly ask what the monthly premiums are for your family. If they do not offer health insurance, then you may want to reconsider accepting any offer. Dealing with individual insurance policies can be a nightmare, and individual policies offer less protections if/when anyone gets sick.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Yes realised i put KY on evansville but meant indiana, thank you for all information, looked at owensboro, had a better feel for evansville will look more into areas near hubby's job if that is easier with health care etc. Henderson is where his job could be. we need to live no more than an hours drive away from hubby's work, but want a place that has plenty to do for family good schools and housing.