Reload this Page >

Moving to UK with child born in USA

Wikiposts

Moving to UK with child born in USA

Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Vegasmum will become famous soon enoughVegasmum will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to UK with child born in USA

We have been living in the USA for 3.5 years now and our son was born here, we're planning to move back to the UK next year as our visa will expire and I just wondered exactly what I need to do for our son to be able to live there with us. I've already registered his birth at the Embassy in DC and have his UK passport, is this all there is to do??? Grateful for any help
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK with child born in USA

Originally Posted by Vegasmum
We have been living in the USA for 3.5 years now and our son was born here, we're planning to move back to the UK next year as our visa will expire and I just wondered exactly what I need to do for our son to be able to live there with us. I've already registered his birth at the Embassy in DC and have his UK passport, is this all there is to do??? Grateful for any help

Well if the child is a citizen of the UK then what else do you think might be needed for him to live in a country that he is a citizen of? Perhaps you can answer your own question!!!!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Well if the child is a citizen of the UK then what else do you think might be needed for him to live in a country that he is a citizen of? Perhaps you can answer your own question!!!!
I wasn't sure whether there was anything else I had to do with him having joint nationality, and thought perhaps someone else would have experience of this. I know there have been cases in the UK of people who have been born abroad and years later they face being deported because their parents haven't completed all the necessary paperwork when they were born. I didn't want that to be the case and was hoping for some friendly advice here.....
Old Jul 12th 2005, 7:10 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want that to be the case and was hoping for some friendly advice here.....
Have a look through this page.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sibsie
Have a look through this page.
Thanks Sibsie
Old Jul 12th 2005, 8:49 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi vegasmum. Yes thats all you have to do. and welcome to the forum.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:56 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

That was a bit harsh Rete, surely you can understand the confusion seeing as her child was born in the USA?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Vagasmumm - you should probably check your child's medical innoculations as well - when we moved the other way with toddlers we found out that US and UK practices are different in what is innoculated against and when. I can't remember the details but if I were you I would find out what shots a UK 3.5 year-old will have already had (by asking a GP) and making sure your kid has had them all.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure whether there was anything else I had to do with him having joint nationality, and thought perhaps someone else would have experience of this. I know there have been cases in the UK of people who have been born abroad and years later they face being deported because their parents haven't completed all the necessary paperwork when they were born. I didn't want that to be the case and was hoping for some friendly advice here.....
That won't be a problem as it sounds like you *have* completed the paperwork by getting him a British passport and a consular birth certificate.

Long term your son (and you in the meantime, before he's older) need to be aware of a few things:

1. There's no problem having dual US/UK citizenship but he needs to enter and leave the US on a US passport. He can keep both US and British passports.

2. As a US citizen he will need to file federal tax returns when older, even if he's living in the UK. He'll also need to register with Selective Service when he's 18, even if living in the UK. http://www.sss.gov
Laws can change in the meantime, so keep up to date.

3. When he's older you'll need to make sure he's aware that as a British citizen by descent, any children he had born outside UK (ie your grandchildren) will not automatically be British unless he applies for them to be registered (or they are British based on the mother). Children born in Britain will automatically be British.

4. Similarly, he needs to know that children he has born in the UK (or elsewhere outside the US) will not automatically be US citizens without further requirements being met. Current laws are described at http://travel.state.gov

5. He won't be able to sponsor you for a green card until he's 21, as far as I know.

Jeremy
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Very timely question Vegasmum. We've just been through the embassy passport/registration process for our 6 month old (actually 7 month old now I think of it).

I had assumed that was all we needed to do to make our daughter legit., but you went the extra step and decided to double check - very smart.

We applied for our daughter's passport with the hope she would be able to use it on our vacation to England last month. Unfortunately the passport didn't arrive in time (I think it arrived the day we left, but since we left at 6am we missed Mr FedEx - it was waiting on our doorstep when I got back 2 weeks later). So we used her US passport which was no bother. Just had to fill in a customs form for her at UK passport control.

Anyway, good luck with your move back to the UK. What visa are you on over here - and how have you enjoyed your time?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
That was a bit harsh Rete, surely you can understand the confusion seeing as her child was born in the USA?
I'm on Rita's side, I have an adopted child who I registered at the embassy and,as such, is as British as me now (the fact she has zero british blood in her is irrelevant). If she is british she can do what I do, and I don't need anything to go home. Dual means dual, equally a citizen of both countries.

Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people.

Patrick
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:16 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
I'm on Rita's side, I have an adopted child who I registered at the embassy and,as such, is as British as me now (the fact she has zero british blood in her is irrelevant). If she is british she can do what I do, and I don't need anything to go home. Dual means dual, equally a citizen of both countries.

Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people.

Patrick

Wow your response really is a shocker. Not.
No wonder you've got a reputation of being in a perpetual bad mood and being about as friendly as Goebbels to a Jew.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:45 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Wow your response really is a shocker. Not.
No wonder you've got a reputation of being in a perpetual bad mood and being about as friendly as Goebbels to a Jew.
Strangely I am in a perpetual good mood and an immensly friendly person. But I'm glad I have an unfreindly reputation, it may stop people making asses of themselfs. I really dont see how agreeing with Rita makes me a Nazi - your concept of reality is a bit strange - Goebels oversaw the murder of 5 million people, I agreed with Rita that the guy answered his own question - can you see that may be a slight over reaction on your part? Can you see where I might think your reality is warped. Do you see that your comparison negates any credability you have. I may not be afraid to tell the truth, I do, however, feel that a comparision with a Nazi for doing so may be a tad silly on your part.

If anyone wants me I shall be invading Poland

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Jul 19th 2005 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:58 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Patrick
Strangely I am in a perpetual good mood and an immensly friendly person. But I'm glad I have an unfreindly reputation, it may stop people making asses of themselfs. I really dont see how agreeing with Rita makes me a Nazi - your concept of reality is a bit strange - Goebels oversaw the murder of 5 million people, I agreed with Rita that the guy answered his own question - can you see that may be a slight over reaction on your part? Can you see where I might think your reality is warped. Do you see that your comparison negates any credability you have. I may not be afraid to tell the truth, I do, however, feel that a comparision with a Nazi for doing so may be a tad silly on your part.

If anyone wants me I shall be invading Poland

Patrick
Yes I was being reactionery, which is regrettable yet understandable.
Listen, the woman who came on here wanted some help, some advice from fellow expats. I felt that in the replies I addressed, she was met with dismissiveness, condescension and arrogance.

How you can be proud of being unfriendly I have no idea. Unless your sole intention of coming on here in the first place is so you can look down your nose at other people, tut at those who ease their worries and patronise those new to this site.

I do not understand that if you don't have any words of advice, solace, empathy or knowledge then why post at all?
Does it make you feel better to look down your nose at people who come on here for the first, second or 40th time asking a question that from your high horse and in your infinite wisdom you deem to be an uncessary one?

Good grief how dare anyone ask a question on here lest they don't already have a Masters in visa administration. What with the endless forms, paperwork, checkpoints and interrogations most of us expats have been through is it not understandable to check, and check again that you have all the information correct, rather than assume, especially when a child is involved? Surely, being a parent yourself, you can understand the level of anxiety and desire to get things 100% correct here?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and being about as friendly as Goebbels to a Jew.
Godwin's_law

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.