Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Atlanta

Moving from UK to Atlanta

Old Sep 1st 2021, 9:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Atlanta

which thinking about it will probably require my own insurance policy, being an adult?
Correct. Since you do not intend to work when you arrive, at least at first, your only options are to remain uninsured or to get insurance through the ACA exchanges at healthcare.gov - since you could probably use your parents address, you might be able to get some idea of what you will be paying before you move over. I do not know if they require an SSN to give a quote though.

A 30 year old will probably not have car insurance costs as high as I mentioned above, since your increased age makes you less risky. However since you won't have a credit score either (and yes, in the US this does come into it) and have no insurance history, I would budget high.

We carry $100k/$200k insurance, and pay just over the stated $2000 pa cost you mentioned. This is however for full coverage on our 2 vehicles, so it is at least possible that you might be able to get it at $2k if go for liability only (meaning they won't pay for your injuries, or damage to your car, in the event of your being at fault OR a hit and run)
Old Sep 1st 2021, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Hallsy_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi christmasoompa ,

Submitted the I-130 in March '21, USCIS are 'actively reviewing' since July 22nd, '21. The application is at Potomac Service Center who are currently quoting 22-29 months processing times. So i am roughly estimating Christmas 2023/early 2024 to be when I get the green light meaning I'll be 30/31.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:01 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't even noticed that. You are in the F1 category, assuming you are unmarried (Unmarried sons and daughters of US Citizens)

Even if your parents were green card holders when they submitted the application, they are not now. Meaning your application would be an F1, instead of F2B. The F2B is only a year shorter anyway.

They are currently processing November 2014 applications for that class of visa... so you are looking at minimum 7-8 years. Not 2.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...gust-2021.html

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 1st 2021 at 10:05 am.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hallsy_
Hi christmasoompa ,

Submitted the I-130 in March '21, USCIS are 'actively reviewing' since July 22nd, '21. The application is at Potomac Service Center who are currently quoting 22-29 months processing times. So i am roughly estimating Christmas 2023/early 2024 to be when I get the green light meaning I'll be 30/31.
But you're aware it's a two stage process? Once the I-130 is approved you then need to wait for a visa number to become available (as adult children aren't 'immediate relatives')?

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news and you're not aware of this, but it's going to take a lot longer than 2 years. Assuming you've applied under category F1, then they're currently processing applications from December 2014, so nearly 7 years ago. And whatever you do, don't get married between now and then as that will then push you to category F3, which is processing applications from 2008! Obviously those timings are a only a rough guide as you have no way of knowing how many people are in the queue ahead of you, but you can keep an eye on the Visa Bulletin once your I-130 is approved. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...mber-2021.html
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:07 am
Often not so civil...

nd whatever you do, don't get married between now and then as that will then push you to category F3, which is processing applications from 2008!
Indeed - and this is always retrogressing. I seem to recall it being about a 9 year or so wait as recently as 3-4 years ago.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Hi both,

I was aware this was a two part process though I did think the second part was a lot quicker than the first part. My immigration attorney didn't make us aware of any of this...

Thank you for making me aware, I'll certainly need to speak with the attorney.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:14 am
Often not so civil...

I assume you are not married to a US Citizen - that is the only application that requires an I-130 that is current other than spouses and children of permeant residents (F2A) You do not qualify as a child as you are over 21, even if your parents did submit the petition when they were PRs.

Thank you for making me aware, I'll certainly need to speak with the attorney.
Please do come back to us after you have spoke to them and let us know. it's always good to add knowledge to the group.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:15 am
Just Joined

No, not married.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was aware this was a two part process though I did think the second part was a lot quicker than the first part.
Unfortunately not, as you can see from the Visa Bulletin. Going on those timescales (although as above, it's only to give you a rough idea as it might change between now and you getting to the front of the queue), you're looking at around a decade in total.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Yeah, thank you for making me aware.

I am majorly disappointed to be honest as I was being impatient about even the 29 month wait with USCIS so to add the NVC times to it is crushing.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah, thank you for making me aware.

I am majorly disappointed to be honest as I was being impatient about even the 29 month wait with USCIS so to add the NVC times to it is crushing.
Any chance of another visa route in the interim? Employment based visa maybe? Could be worth starting a new thread in the immi section of the forum with details of your qualifications/experience to see if anybody can suggest anything.

Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

A long wait for a visa is probably disappointing, but you can use the time to plan you move and avoid the mistakes many people make.

1) You should look into health insurance. Moving to GA I don't think that it is mandated to have it, but it's risky not to have it. My ex does not have insurance and broke their leg last year and had to pay thousands out of pocket and on top of that the doctor discovered a benign growth in the stomach that will cost a lot to remove. So get insurance...I would budget around $500/month and expect to have a high deductible.
2) Get your UK finances set for becoming a US tax payer, This means selling any Stocks Shares ISAs or general investment funds, or other things with capital gains ie your house if you own one. The simplest thing is you get everything into cash and then move it to a US bank account and start investing in the US system. You can leave UK workplace pensions in place.
3) Apply to pay voluntary Class 2 National Insurance, It's inexpensive and will keep up your NI record so you'll get a good UK State Pension amount.

Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

I have spoken with my attorney who has confirmed what you are saying (only after having to push for clarity) and so it seems the long, long wait is on. To be honest, 8-10 years is likely too long to wait so we'll see the outcome of this.

I'm hoping there are people out there who are in the same boat and are having more positive news/pleasant surprises, but we shall see.

Thank you all for your inputs and arguably doing the job of my legal team.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:39 pm
Often not so civil...

I don't know what your relationship plans are of course, but one thing I will say is do not put your life on hold. As others have said about another route to the US (quicker) may come into focus if you do your research, but either way let this petition run it's course in the background.

In the meantime, you can visit for 90 days on the ESTA if otherwise eligible and you can certainly do some travelling on that.

Good luck for the future.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

There is potential movement with work though there is no timescale on that at all, however still likely to be a few years out.

We shall see, hopefully things start to look brighter over the next few months!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.