Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

I would think it will depend on whether their software will accept the out of date licence. I had all sorts of issues trying to get a licence (took 10 months in the end with help from SC Senators office). I tried to use a Cayman licence which was out of date by 2 months initially and the system refused it then managed to get hold of my UK licence so best advice would be to get the valid one to fulfill the bureaucratic need. DMVs are very hit and miss and you may get through without it.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute

in getting a U.S. license though, my UK one shouldnt be a prerequisite should it?

I could get my U.S. license without having a UK one?

I was more asking from the perspective of being able to drive before I do get my U.S. one, but the post above made it sound like you struggled to get your license because your Cayman one was out of date?

You said it took 10 months, were you still able to drive in that time?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The CI licence was only one issue which I sorted out immediately by getting the UK licence soon after.
The other issues included but not were not limited to: I wasn't eligible for a SSN on the visa I am now on, but have a SSN so that caused confusion. They change the parameters every time you go in; so they ask for 4 documents you go back with 4 requested and then they ask for something else. By the time you get what they want, one or two of the others are out of date and the saga continues. Mine was complicated because I left the state (Indiana) before I physically received the licence and co-ordinating between the Indiana DMV and SC DMV was difficult because their systems were incompatible. This was where the Senators office stepped in.

I did drive in that time and didn't get stopped but kept my DMV file in the car just in case. The answer is get your licence up to date as they may or may not require it. Be prepared for bureaucratic madness!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute

ah well hopefully I don't have all those issues.

Idea I have had,

Send off for a new license in the UK before I leave, but only send away the photo card and tick the box on the form for having lost the paper part.

But take the paper part with me so I can show that I have a license, and am just waiting to receive the new card with an up to date photo.

Get my US license ASAP, and when the new UK license turns up, have that sent over anyway.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoachMB
sorry, its New Hampshire....
Then you're probably all set.

NH has some of the slackest road rules in the country...don't need to wear a seatbelt, nor have car insurance in NH...which is made moot if you want to drive out of state, which considering how small NH is, is something you'll do without even realising half the time
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoachMB
in getting a U.S. license though, my UK one shouldnt be a prerequisite should it?

I could get my U.S. license without having a UK one?
You don't need to show a UK license to get a US one, but depending on the state, you might have to do all the pre-requisites such as x number of drivers ed classes, x number of hours driven at night, etc, etc.

Showing a license means you don't have to do any of that and you can just take the local test.

Your UK license is still "valid" in the sense that it doesn't stop you from driving, but that the photo ID part of it needs to be renewed, so you should, in theory still be okay showing the paper portion of your license.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

yeah im hoping thats the case.

Although that being said, I know in England while it out of date you arent supposed to drive with it when it has expired. But once you send away for the new one so are in the process of renewing it you can continue driving.

Any idea if that will still tranlate across the pond though?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:04 am
Just Joined

carfan42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

In FL, I showed my UK License so I could get the full Class E license instead of obtaining the learner permit
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The UK license won't be valid with you moving out of that address, so it doesn't really matter. You've still got to get a US license as soon as you can anyway and they would accept a recently expired card as proof that you're able to drive to get a local license.
Untrue. A GB licence (or a licence from anywhere else, for that matter) does not instantly become invalid when the holder moves outside the jurisdiction. Even if you cannot put an out-of-jurisdiction address on it.

I would not be sure that an expired GB licence can be used to drive legally in another territory as a visitor or new resident pending a local licence issue.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ
Untrue. A GB licence (or a licence from anywhere else, for that matter) does not instantly become invalid when the holder moves outside the jurisdiction. Even if you cannot put an out-of-jurisdiction address on it.

I would not be sure that an expired GB licence can be used to drive legally in another territory as a visitor or new resident pending a local licence issue.
The license part wouldn't be void, but the photo ID part would be.

As for using a expired license, would have to check with the state. Mine would allow you to use a license that is up to 90 days expired.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The license part wouldn't be void, but the photo ID part would be.
That's not from the DVLA. They do not state that the licence becomes invalid - merely that you have to check the extent to which it is acceptable elsewhere as a new resident.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 17th 2012 at 3:34 am.