Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

OK, bit of a problem...

I'm going to the U.S. for a prolonged period in a few days time. I've realised my UK driving license is up for renewal, I had the reminder not too long ago but it just slipped my mind. It's just that you have to have an updated photo every 10 years, as opposed to it be a case that I need to redo a test or anything. But still, it is not currently in date.

My plan was to do my U.S. license as quick as I can anyway, but I assume since my UK license is now technically invalid I cannot drive in the U.S. until I either a) manage to take and pass my U.S. license, or b) my new UK license turns up at home and I can get it sent on.

Is that right? Now I have sent off for the new UK license, if I was in England I would be able to continue driving as the application is being processed. But am I right thinking that wouldn't count for anything in the U.S?

It's not the end of the world, just a bit of a pain if I can't drive immediately. Would appreciate any response, even its just to confirm that indeed I won't be able to drive until it is sorted.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:11 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the U.S. but UK driving license just expired

Apply for the UK license during the few days, then get it mailed out to you.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state. Some allow you to drive on a out of state or foreign license that has expired up to x number of days, within 90 usually, if you are going to get a local license that is.

I wouldn't bother with renewing the UK license if you're moving to the US, it's a waste of money and it wouldn't be valid as you'd not be living in the residence you're listing on the license and you can't use a foreign address, so the license is void.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute

i thought you get 3 months in which you can drive on a foreign license?

so if I had an in date UK license the address on it doesnt matter right? My new UK license would still be registered to my UK address. I was going to renew it here anyway, its only 20 pounds, but can take 3 weeks to get it back again. I assume that means I just couldnt drive in that time? unless I got my U.S. license done by then?

As for what you said about some states would let me drive on an expired license for x days... any idea where I might find such info?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoachMB View Post

so if I had an in date UK license the address on it doesnt matter right? My new UK license would still be registered to my UK address. I was going to renew it here anyway, its only 20 pounds, but can take 3 weeks to get it back again. I assume that means I just couldnt drive in that time? unless I got my U.S. license done by then?

As for what you said about some states would let me drive on an expired license for x days... any idea where I might find such info?
50 states, 50 possible answers.

The UK license won't be valid with you moving out of that address, so it doesn't really matter. You've still got to get a US license as soon as you can anyway and they would accept a recently expired card as proof that you're able to drive to get a local license.

You'd find the info, along with everything else license and car related on the states DMV/RMV/BMV or whatever that state calls it website.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nope....once you are resident in California you OFFICIALLY have 10 days in which to get a Californian licence.

Usually can't be done in that time, but if you are stopped after the ten days, you should at least have applied for the CA licence.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

OK, bit of a problem...

I'm going to the U.S. for a prolonged period in a few days time. I've realised my UK driving license is up for renewal, I had the reminder not too long ago but it just slipped my mind. It's just that you have to have an updated photo every 10 years, as opposed to it be a case that I need to redo a test or anything. But still, it is not currently in date.

My plan was to do my U.S. license as quick as I can anyway, but I assume since my UK license is now technically invalid I cannot drive in the U.S. until I either a) manage to take and pass my U.S. license, or b) my new UK license turns up at home and I can get it sent on.

Is that right? Now I have sent off for the new UK license, if I was in England I would be able to continue driving as the application is being processed. But am I right thinking that wouldn't count for anything in the U.S?

It's not the end of the world, just a bit of a pain if I can't drive immediately. Would appreciate any response, even its just to confirm that indeed I won't be able to drive until it is sorted.

Thanks
I see you worried about the big things that you couldn't do anything about and forgot about the small things that you had control over.

You may be SOL until you get your UK license or a state license. Don't you already have a state license? If you do, a lot of states will issue you their state license without taking the road test.

If you don't have a license from one of the 50 states, then you will likely have to take the test and depending on the state, they may issue you a 90 temporary license instead of a permit if you have a valid UK license after you pass the written test. They may do that since many states can't give you the road test until a few weeks later due to being overbooked.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The UK license won't be valid with you moving out of that address, so it doesn't really matter. You've still got to get a US license as soon as you can anyway and they would accept a recently expired card as proof that you're able to drive to get a local license.
?? DVLA actually says that you don't have to bother updating your license address when you leave the UK, so no idea why you don't think it'll be invalid.

I'd just book the test when you hit the states, and explain that it's a 10 year license (just like most states) if they ask about it not being valid.

And what do the DMV care anyway? You book for a test and a license as a new immigrant.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

I will book it ASAP, but can I still drive when its booked? If I had my UK license and it was in date, I'd have no problem with driving while I waited, but not sure it's the case when this one is out of date.

In which case, am I better to

1. Keep my out of date UK license to take with me, so I am able to show that and explain if stopped

2. Send away for a new UK license and get it sent on as quick as possible

any thoughts?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

vic1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just been through a similar thing but luckily had a few more weeks to sort it out... if i was you i would keep hold of it as bear in mind it isn't your licence that is out of date it is your photo.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

and then just drive anyway until I wait to get my license?

it's my understanding that you can just turn up to do the theory part of your US test, so I guess I can do that near enough straight away (obviously with some study) and ask them there whether I am legally allowed to drive in the meantime.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post
?? DVLA actually says that you don't have to bother updating your license address when you leave the UK, so no idea why you don't think it'll be invalid.

I'd just book the test when you hit the states, and explain that it's a 10 year license (just like most states) if they ask about it not being valid.

And what do the DMV care anyway? You book for a test and a license as a new immigrant.
When you reside outside of the UK, the UK license is invalid because you can not change the address to a none UK address. It's why people should use their foreign license when visiting the UK.

The DMV might not care, but again, it depends on the state, they might require a license so that you can by-pass drivers ed, or having to have a qualified driver sit with you etc.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

it's my understanding that you can just turn up to do the theory part of your US test, so I guess I can do that near enough straight away (obviously with some study) and ask them there whether I am legally allowed to drive in the meantime.
You don't say which state and I can't be arsed to look over your past posts to find out, nor to google what your state DMV site says.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

sorry, its New Hampshire. Not that I'm expecting somebody to do all the running for me. I was looking myself on their DMV site, but couldnt find any info on it. It deals with foreigners applying for a license, but not specifically somebody with an out of date license
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

vic1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that not everyone has a photo card one just show the paper element which isn't dated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.