Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the U.S.

moving to the U.S.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 5:43 pm
Horsedick Ok

I am an american citizen married to a canadian.we have filed fo AOS but haven't had
an interview scheduled yet. My question is it legal or a common practice to move
personal goos into the U.S. with a moving
co. before AOS is granted? or should we wait until she gets her greencard. Her
belongings can be loaded without her presence as she has relatives still there.
Also what documentation is needed?

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Shelley

My husband moved from Canada - with his K-1 visa - in a U-haul truck with all his
things. However, if your wife just entered the US and you got married, she can go
back to get her belongings once she has her Advance Parole. At the border when you
are returning to the US, she will need an itemized list of everything she is bringing
with her. Also you should have a copy of your marriage license, and the receipt of
your AOS filing (not always asked for, but good to have on hand). If you are using a
moving company, you need to ask them what documents they require. They will need an
itemized list of items, and most likely a copy if the AOS filing receipt, but you
need to check with the company you choose. Either way - she doesn't need to wait for
her Green Card to get her things. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >