Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving in three weeks!

Moving in three weeks!

Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving in three weeks!

Well looks like we will exchange contracts on the house sale this week, and probably fix a date for moving out of a couple of weeks after that, so should be out within three weeks.

So I guess time to really start shedding stuff, I can't believe how much stuff we have got rid of already, we filled a 4-ton skip (albeit including a collapsing garden shed) and have had two 10-bin-bag trips to the tip.

Not much left to get rid of, just two sofas and a cabinet, the rest is all getting sold or shipped. We aren't shipping any furniture as it's all pretty old stuff and we will be staying with family when we get there so no room for it anyway.

My biggest dilemma right now is whether to risk shipping all my DVD "backups" and stuff I've recorded off TV (Stargate/BSG and some comedies) in big CD wallets or just rip the stuff I want to DivX and store it all on my 1TB hard drive, and just ship that over in my tower PC. Some say that customs will pull you on non-original DVDs/CDs and you might get done, others say they don't care, so not sure which way to go on that one.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in three weeks!

I shipped my "back ups" with everything else on the boat. No problems, and our shipment was actually pulled for a customs inspection (don't know what that means, though I do know what it costs :curse.

That was as recent as March of this year. Of course, just a personal experience though.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:51 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Well looks like we will exchange contracts on the house sale this week, and probably fix a date for moving out of a couple of weeks after that, so should be out within three weeks.

So I guess time to really start shedding stuff, I can't believe how much stuff we have got rid of already, we filled a 4-ton skip (albeit including a collapsing garden shed) and have had two 10-bin-bag trips to the tip.

Not much left to get rid of, just two sofas and a cabinet, the rest is all getting sold or shipped. We aren't shipping any furniture as it's all pretty old stuff and we will be staying with family when we get there so no room for it anyway.

My biggest dilemma right now is whether to risk shipping all my DVD "backups" and stuff I've recorded off TV (Stargate/BSG and some comedies) in big CD wallets or just rip the stuff I want to DivX and store it all on my 1TB hard drive, and just ship that over in my tower PC. Some say that customs will pull you on non-original DVDs/CDs and you might get done, others say they don't care, so not sure which way to go on that one.
we shipped our "back ups' - we had 4 of those black zip up cases doubled up with disks, plus a couple of boxes of disks in cases - the shipping guys said there would be no probs with them, and there wasnt

Bet your getting excited now!!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:09 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be bringing your electric kettle?

All should be fine. Congrats BTW.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool thanks for the positive responses guys.

I might not bother with ripping all the DVDs then.

Has ANYONE reading this thread been pulled for dubious CDs/DVDs?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Cool thanks for the positive responses guys.

I might not bother with ripping all the DVDs then.

Has ANYONE reading this thread been pulled for dubious CDs/DVDs?
Coming in from Hong Kong I'm frequently asked if I have any DVDs, but never when coming back from Europe.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's not like they would be with me on the plane, they'd be in the items we are having shipped.