Reload this Page >

Moving to Texas from UK

Moving to Texas from UK

Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

eulixe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Texas from UK

Hi everyone, my names Dan.

Hope you're all enjoying the holidays and whatnot.

I have a few questions in relation to moving to the US (Arlington, TX)

I am 24, have a college degree in computing science, some programming skills/web development skills and all the usual retail/customer service/admin experience you get by working your way through different jobs.

I would like like to move to Texas for a while (probably to start with around a year)

My situation:

A good friend of mine (yes we've met many times in real life/not a romantic relationship) will happily put me up for as long as I need. So basically I have somewhere to live for at least 3 months.

They also run their own business and would sponsor me, taking me on as an unpaid intern in their business.

Is there anyway of me being allowed over there on these conditions?
I would be looking for paid work the moment I landed and would have enough money to support me for a few months without any income.

Am I out of luck or could I get by with an H2 visa on this?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Texas from UK

I don't think you can sponsor someone for an unpaid internship. What would that visa even be? A J1?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Texas from UK

When did you graduate? What's the type of work?

If it's suitable, have them look into the J1 visa.

If it's not suitable or you don't qualify, then realistically speaking, it won't be happening any time soon.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That pretty much sums it up.