Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Texas - Job opportunities??

Moving to Texas - Job opportunities??

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

LR87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Texas - Job opportunities??

Hello everyone! As an Englishman thinking of moving to the U.S I have found this site very helpful and informative. I do, however, wonder if anyone could help me out regarding teaching and coaching jobs in Texas and how employable I would be if I decided to make the move?

Firstly, a bit about my situation... I live in England, my fiance is in the U.S. She is a U.S citizen. We are both 24 and in our final years of University looking to graduate by May 2012. As her family live in Dallas we are looking to move there after our studies. However, I would to know if I would struggle to find work there (once we are married and I have been authorized to work).

My degree is 'Sports Performance and Coaching with Qualified Teacher Status' meaning I can teach Physical Education to ages between 6-18. I also hold FA coaching badges and have alot of experience playing and coaching at professional football clubs and academies. I am currently earning good money working part-time at an academy and have been offered the position full time after I graduate, so my fiance moving to England is always an option, however she wants to be nearer her family and I would prefer to move to the U.S so that is what we want most.

I love the U.S and would like nothing more than to live a life there with my future wife. However, I have to be realistic, I know the economy over there is not great and that English qualifications probably do not mean as much over there. We have 9 months of savings to get us starte while we look an her parents have offere to help financialy but I could never take money off them. Any advice or help anyone can give would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Texas - Job opportunities??

So-so.

Best bet is networking and contacting colleges and the like for coaching jobs, thing is you'll be competing against folks who have gone to those colleges and would be favourites to then coach.

If you've got solid clubs behind you, that people would have heard of, your chances are good, other wise, same as anyone elses I'd have guest.

Welcome to BE though and good luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Our local school district is going through a tough time - budget cuts backs. That said, opportunities do arise.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

To teach soccer in a public school you'd need to become qualified to teach in Texas. Most sport's coaches teach other subjects as well as their sport.
Schools in our area (Fort Worth) are going through a really tough time.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know someone who makes an OK living coaching, has been doing it for 15 years in the Boulder area.

Most sports are not directly connected to schools. Not sure if any of them do Football.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:17 am
Just Joined

LR87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your swift replies! Yea it is pretty much the same both sides of the pond regarding cut backs made by the government. I suppose it will just be being in the right place at the right time regarding positions available!

I have looked into the qualifications I need in Texas to teach and if a person has a standard teaching certificate from another country which is accepted (cannot see why one from England would not be) they will be given a 1 year temporary teaching certificate to teach. In this year they must take the standard Texas tests to become qualified in Texas.

Ideally I would like to teach Physical Education in a school and then football (soccer) as an extra part-time thing.

Would anyone know the answer to: if myself and a normal random American both applied for a position with the same qualifications does the rule "must be given to an American first" still apply even if I am a permanent resident??

Thanks again to you all!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps do it the other way around.

They will be qualified, you will not.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LR87
Would anyone know the answer to: if myself and a normal random American both applied for a position with the same qualifications does the rule "must be given to an American first" still apply even if I am a permanent resident??
If you're an LPR, you'd be essentially considered a citizen....it's for anyone needing a visa sponsorship that you'd lose out on.

Have you considered looking at the grot end of the footie leagues? The sunday league and barely above?

don't know about Texas, but up my way, there are quite a few small teams such as Mass Utd, Suncoast Utd in NH etc, etc and there's a couple of divisions at that level.

The Mass Utd team was pretty much all foreign too, the GM is a Brit, the coach Irish, one of the defenders is a Brit, third of the squad is brazilian and the rest pretty much African, only a couple of local talent.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LR87
Where on earth did you find this "rule"? AFAIK, it doesn't actually exist... indeed, I don't believe it can exist under current "equal opportunity" law.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Where on earth did you find this "rule"? AFAIK, it doesn't actually exist... indeed, I don't believe it can exist under current "equal opportunity" law.

Ian
Probably from misquoting the labour cert process.