Reload this Page >

moving from Surrey to Bay area

Wikiposts

moving from Surrey to Bay area

Old Jan 4th 2017, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Sekula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving from Surrey to Bay area

Dear all, hope you all had a great xmas and new year .

my husband just accepted an offer from current employer to relocate to San Jose in April. we are planning to live in Dublin CA.
We have two children , one is 6 and half and the other one just turned 4.
my undertsaing is my older one will go to school , year 1 .
I just wonder what is the sort of life I will be expecting with my younger one. do they have playgroup , or stay home mum meet up? if they do, where I can find these information?

thanks !
Old Jan 5th 2017, 3:36 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving from Surrey to Bay area

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20mom%20groups

As your kids make friends, ask for play dates and start extra curricular activities, you'll meet plenty of other moms - just don't be afraid to strike up conversations

I'm a little further north, in Martinez, with 2 girls: 10 and 7. If you're feeling bored/homesick/overwhelmed, feel free to give me a shout

If your eldest turns 7 before the end of August, s/he would be in 2nd grade this year.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Sekula is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much for your reply ! by the way, do you think its worth to move kids toy to US? are they much cheaper there?
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably check this thread out, which is currently active on a move to the Bay area.
Originally Posted by Sekula
thanks so much for your reply ! by the way, do you think its worth to move kids toy to US? are they much cheaper there?
If the company is paying for shipping then bring all their toys. The move is going to create enough upheaval for them without also depriving them of their familiar toys.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 5th 2017 at 7:06 am.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ha, another for the Tri-Valley area! I live in Pleasanton (the other side of the freeway from Dublin) and can offer some suggestions and advice. Its a great part of the bay area and its well connected (BART and freeways), but you should also consider some other points though.

And when you are over - let me know - my kids are older though at 12 and 15....
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The 4 year old can join a preschool. Just so you know these are normally private and costly but probably not what you are looking for as they are full time as opposed to part time. There is always www.meetup.com for finding Mom Groups for play dates for the kidlet.

You said the littlest one just turned 4 so if the birthday is September or after, the kidlet won't be starting school in September, 2017 ... kindergarten. Each school district in the US has their own cutoff date. My middle grandchild missed going to kindergarten because he turned 5 on the 15th of September and the cutoff date was August 31st. In southern parts of the US school starts in August while most of the US opts to start the first Wednesday/Thursday after Labor Day in September. Labor would be the first Monday in September.

Do you have a home already designated as your residence for when you arrive? If so, have you called the school to find out what you need to register your child. Check with them about the requirements for vaccinations. Most probably it will be different from most of the jabs she has gotten.

Just a lot of ducks to line up when you have transferring school age children.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again
Ah ha, another for the Tri-Valley area! I live in Pleasanton (the other side of the freeway from Dublin) and can offer some suggestions and advice. Its a great part of the bay area and its well connected (BART and freeways), but you should also consider some other points though.

And when you are over - let me know - my kids are older though at 12 and 15....
That's very kind of you. I will be over around May.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:25 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
That's very kind of you. I will be over around May.

I'm getting confused -- are you related to the OP?
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sorry for confusing you . I posted the first message under my husband logging. Now I have logged in as myself.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Either way doesnt matter to me! Happy to help anyone, especially if they are local to me! I know how disorienting it can be and even though its not been 3 years yet (Late Feb!), I still find things that I am learning.

Drop me a personal message or reply to the thread when you want to though - happy to fill in anything that I can.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:00 am
Just Joined

SimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond reputeSimonHobbsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My wife and I moved from Staines to Walnut Creek in the Bay Area in August last year. I would highly recommend asking your school of choice to provide information on the jabs that are required.
We arrived 2 weeks before school started and were told our children required additional jabs before they could start school. As our US healthcare hadn't kicked yet it cost us $400.
We also found that school placement is based on your address, as is the case in the UK, so make sure you choose your house within the catchment area of your chosen school, unless you are going private.

We have 2 girls aged 6 and 11.

Regards, Simon

P.S. If the company is paying for shipping try and ship as much as you can! We left silly things at home like christmas decorations and kitchen utensils which we then needed to re-purchase.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like there a quite a few of us in the area. I live in the area near Dublin.
What made you choose Dublin specifically? considering all the other options available.
The commute to San Jose is a nightmare, I did it for 20 years. Have lived in the area since 1970. Seems like everyone that lives along Hwy 680 commutes to Jan Jose.
Any help I can be, get in touch, good luck, it's a good place for families and lots to see and do, Bart 40 mins to San Francisco.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:37 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20mom%20groups

As your kids make friends, ask for play dates and start extra curricular activities, you'll meet plenty of other moms - just don't be afraid to strike up conversations

I'm a little further north, in Martinez, with 2 girls: 10 and 7. If you're feeling bored/homesick/overwhelmed, feel free to give me a shout

If your eldest turns 7 before the end of August, s/he would be in 2nd grade this year.
Sorry, I meant to say NEXT year.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:40 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Sekula
As others have said, if the company is paying for shipping, then ship everything (unless it's incompatible electronics, or something you wouldn't bother taking with you if you were moving house in the UK).

In the highly unlikely event that shipping isn't part of the package, I'd still prioritise the kids' things. Sure, have them clear out stuff they no longer play with or that they've grown out of, but it'll make the transition easier if they have plenty of familiar belongings with them.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Seems like there a quite a few of us in the area. I live in the area near Dublin.
What made you choose Dublin specifically? considering all the other options available.
The commute to San Jose is a nightmare, I did it for 20 years. Have lived in the area since 1970. Seems like everyone that lives along Hwy 680 commutes to Jan Jose.
Any help I can be, get in touch, good luck, it's a good place for families and lots to see and do, Bart 40 mins to San Francisco.
Thanks for your reply. my husband was told Dublin is a nice area and has a bit of diversity . At last but least the rent is not unbearable .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.