Reload this Page >

Moving Stateside from England

Moving Stateside from England

Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

GreenLid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving Stateside from England

Hello Forum!

I hope I will be able to find alittle direction here as there is such a wealth of information and posts from people that have gone through the move already.

I'm in the UK Military currently and have been across to America for extended periods with my military role and for holidays with my family. I know of afew people that have used immigration lawyers to move over, and even though they say moving and settling was a big adjustment I never here them regret making the change. I'm not sure which immigration route I should consider pursuing. Which is why I'm here.

I have a degree in business administration and an excellent work ethic, my wife has a bachelors aswell. I have run several businesses and definitely have an entrepreneurial streak.

I would really appreciate any help.

Last edited by GreenLid; Jul 12th 2017 at 4:42 pm. Reason: my terrible spelling
Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Stateside from England

Start here Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki you have to be able to qualify for a visa first.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
Start here Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki you have to be able to qualify for a visa first.
Thankyou, helpful! Looks like I need to build my capital!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Getting hired directly is somewhere between impractical and impossible, more viable routes would be to have an existing employer transfer you, or self-employment.

A popular and successful route to a visa, used by Lansbury and myself, among many others here, is not open to you, at least not at the moment.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would your EMployer move you?

Good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Getting hired directly is somewhere between impractical and impossible, more viable routes would be to have an existing employer transfer you, or self-employment.

A popular and successful route to a visa, used by Lansbury and myself, among many others here, is not open to you, at least not at the moment.
Having had the fortune this far to find a woman that has put up with me for the last 10 years+ That boat has definitely sailed.

Self-employment seems to be the only option at this point? I have a UK ltd Company, and can think of afew different businesses I could start state side, but will need to build alittle more capital, and not buy the second-hand AMG i have been eyeing up the last few months.

I do have Irish citizenship via decent as well as my british from birth but i dont see that adding more options for me?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would your Employer move you?

Good luck!
My day job is with the MOD and though there are opportunities for 2-3 year drafts to the states under a special visa for the rank and their family. There is absolutely no scope to extend these arrangements.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenLid
.... I do have Irish citizenship via decent as well as my british from birth but i dont see that adding more options for me? ....
Unless you were born on the island of Ireland (south or north of the border), it doesn't change anything.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

When you leave the MOD look for a job who will move you over in the future?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
When you leave the MOD look for a job who will move you over in the future?
I have considered that but seems to leave everything even more to chance.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

So what is your lower chance option?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have considered that but seems to leave everything even more to chance.
More to chance than what? You have said nothing to suggest that there is any other option.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
More to chance than what? You have said nothing to suggest that there is any other option.
Self-employment seems to be the only option at this point? I have a UK ltd Company, and can think of afew different businesses I could start state side, but will need to build alittle more capital, and not buy the second-hand AMG i have been eyeing up the last few months.
^Apologises I thought I made a clear inference from this comment. I have a background in finance, and worked for an international bank before military service, there were/are secondment opportunities overseas but I found they were always pathed in such a way to retain talent. But that said always interested to hear every viewpoint.

Last edited by GreenLid; Jul 13th 2017 at 3:16 pm. Reason: spelling.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:20 pm

.... I ..... worked for an international bank before military service, there were/are secondment opportunities overseas but I found they were always pathed in such a way to retain talent. .....
What does that mean?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Self employment is not normally a route, certainly International Finance could be.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:31 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

^Apologises I thought I made a clear inference from this comment. I have a background in finance, and worked for an international bank before military service, there were/are secondment opportunities overseas but I found they were always pathed in such a way to retain talent. But that said always interested to hear every viewpoint.
That's unusual. There have been several posters here lately who work for major US banks in the U.K. that have been transferred to the US offices. Maybe you were working for the "wrong" bank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.