British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving States - tax question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-states-tax-question-777003/)

100weight Nov 8th 2012 1:59 pm

Moving States - tax question

Hi all
We're moving to Florida from Michigan in the next week. It just occurred to me that FL doesn't have State tax while MI does. How do we do our taxes next year? Do we inform the MI tax people that we're no longer MI residents or what?
Added to that, we spent 2 months in FL at the beginning of the year. Do we pay MI tax on those 2 months or could we get them FL tax free?:fingerscrossed:

Thanks
CWT

nun Nov 8th 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Moving States - tax question

Originally Posted by 100weight (Post 10372688)
Hi all
We're moving to Florida from Michigan in the next week. It just occurred to me that FL doesn't have State tax while MI does. How do we do our taxes next year? Do we inform the MI tax people that we're no longer MI residents or what?
Added to that, we spent 2 months in FL at the beginning of the year. Do we pay MI tax on those 2 months or could we get them FL tax free?:fingerscrossed:

Thanks
CWT

Where you pay tax depends on your residence. If you lived in MI and spend 2 months in FL and then returned to your permanent residence in MI, then you are probably liable to MI tax for those 2 months.

When you move to FL permanently you should inform MI tax people that you are leaving the state. Then you'll file a MI part year tax return for the time you lived in MI and a FL part year return for the rest of the year.

jeffreyhy Nov 8th 2012 4:37 pm

You start out by going to the Michigan web site to see what the state's filing requirements are. It's possible that you may owe a return, or a non-resident return, to Michigan since you lived there for the first part of the year. Certainly you will want to file a Michigan tax return if you are over-withheld.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by 100weight (Post 10372688)
We're moving to Florida from Michigan in the next week. It just occurred to me that FL doesn't have State tax while MI does. How do we do our taxes next year?

Bob Nov 8th 2012 6:03 pm

Probably a partial tax return form, or whatever they call it.

100weight Nov 8th 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks all.:thumbup:
CWT

JAJ Nov 10th 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by nun (Post 10372827)
When you move to FL permanently you should inform MI tax people that you are leaving the state.

In some states it is harder (or at least requires more evidence) to show that one has abandoned residence in that state.