Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the states need advice

Wikiposts

moving to the states need advice

Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:51 am
Just Joined

paul hall is an unknown quantity at this point

thax boiler seems like my dreams are slowly slipping away i could buy a business but not for 100k and dont have that sort of cash i could buy like a gardening business or hair dressers for about 10k i habve about 36k usd would that get me in or am i screwed until i get more cash but i want to come in the summer
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Paul,

You might need to brush up on your spelling if you want to be a student nurse...but if you become a nursing student in the UK you don't have to pay tuition fees, the NHS pays for those. However, do you have the qualifications/aptitude to do a degree course?

I have an Australian friend who is a master carpenter (was a time-served apprentice and has the Aussie equivalent of the City & Guilds etc.) but he couldn't find an easy way to legally move to the US.

The only way he managed it was to meet an American lady (through his sister's friends - his sister has lived in the US for some time) and it wasn't easy. He returned to Oz, she went over to visit him, a few months later he came back to stay with his sister, and his girlfriend couldn't bear for him to go back to Oz, but his tourist visa-waiver was expiring. Within six weeks of them deciding to get married she planned and arranged for their wedding (which I attended).

He's getting lots of work - everyone wants their kitchens remodelled - but it did take a few months for his work authorisation and social security card to be issued.

Watch out when doing any 'internet dating' though for the nutcases out there.....have you seen the thread called "Hi, I'm New Here" in "The Lounge" forum, by Guinevere? :scared:
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:59 am
Just Joined

thx all for the replies it looks like i need a new approch what about the green card lottery thing would that work
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/florid...num=1067478896

Have a look here and it saves me retyping

I met my fiancee in the UK, but when I went for the interview at the Embassy seemed like everybody else had met over the Internet, so not a bad idea.

This may sound stupid but it is really BYFAR your best chance.

I do remeber somebody suggesting moving to Cuba, getting citizenship and then getting a boat to Florida. I think they were only half joking.
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paul hall
thx all for the replies it looks like i need a new approch what about the green card lottery thing would that work
Not unless you are from Northern Ireland
Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:06 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again

This is a joke right, Sparkster?
Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:10 am
Just Joined

whats a joke me moving to the states was no joke until i came to this site and got informed on how dam hard it is to get in your from florida thats where i was wanting to move to but seems like theres going to be 1 less brit moving this year unless you know a way im all ears
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:20 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Here we go again

This is a joke right, Sparkster?
At last, well done LOTL, I sniffed his BS from the get go.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Paul mate,

There is no easy way, there is no fast track, there is no green card lottery, It's a lot of blood sweat and tears. Most of us are here through marriage, graft or circumstance.

If it were simple people would be doing this all the time. However, aistraila might be a good bet, other than that, your not coming to the USA this summer unless on holiday.

If you stay and try and get work on the side you will be deported PDQ. We don't like bursting peoples bubbles on this site, and sometimes it is very frustrating telling people that they're banging their head on a brick wall, but face facts son, you can't just sell your house and jump on a plane.
(seen as your from Newcastle, does the council know your selling your house? )
TV shows like place in the sun and start a new life just aren't real life. And on this site we try and keep people on this side of the reality line.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default You Have No Chance

You can't spell. you have no command of grammar. You say you are prepared to work very, very, very hard, yet you can't even be arsed to find information the hard way, i.e., DYOR. It seems you haven't even done a simple Web search for US immigration and read up before you start pestering people here to spend more time answering your questions than you are prepared to put into typing them.

Sorry if this seems harsh but there is no "easy way".
Old Mar 17th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paul hall
whats a joke me moving to the states was no joke until i came to this site and got informed on how dam hard it is to get in your from florida thats where i was wanting to move to but seems like theres going to be 1 less brit moving this year unless you know a way im all ears

Paul, a bit of simple advice- if I may. You would be most prudent to learn proper sentence structure, spelling, and use of punctuation. Further, you would do well to organize your thoughts before typing them, so as not to ramble on incoherently. And lastly, forget about moving to the US. Judging from the situation you describe, there is a greater likelyhood that my next-door neighbor's poodle will learn to whistle, than that of you ever being able to legally move to the US.

Sorry, but there's no point in giving you any false hope.

Last edited by Jabba1; Mar 17th 2004 at 8:08 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:27 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jabba1
Paul, a bit of simple advice- if I may. You would be most prudent to learn proper sentence structure, spelling, and use of punctuation. Further, you would do well to organize your thoughts before typing them, so as not to ramble on incoherently. And lastly, forget about moving to the US. Judging from the situation you describe, there is a greater likelyhood that my next-door neighbor's poodle will learn to whistle, than that of you ever being able to legally move to the US.

Sorry, but there's no point in giving you any false hope.

Ouch!!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you are serious or not ... but you could try one of these sites (but I have to say I agree on brushing up on the spelling and grammar etc!)...

www.councilexchanges.org.uk/

www.bunac.org

CIEE has a database of US employers looking for people, but mostly in the hopsitality field. But they do have summer camps and stuff like that - that would get you a few months out there.

If you are serious, good luck but it ain't gonna happen overnight without a lot of hard work, committment and tears I can assure yoU!