Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from State to State? Things to consider.

Moving from State to State? Things to consider.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:10 am
Just Joined

H2CHI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from State to State? Things to consider.

In the early stages of negotiating a possible move to a new employer which will entail a move to the suburbs of Chicago from Houston. I need to at least try and get as much of the expense agreed up front and will try and build some salary buffer for the additional cost of living. Below is a checklist of items. If anyone can see anything missing, would appreciate thoughts - especially if it is a cost specific to Illinois that we might not consider in Texas. This might seem a bit anal but would rather have some science behind the laundry list than just ask for a number.

For salary discussions:
  • Higher sales tax/Gas prices = higher general cost of living.
  • Compare property taxes = this looks quite hard to do as they have a strange calculation system (at least in Cook County). On the face of it, the tax seems lower than we have in Katy, TX based on Trulia estimates but should verify this.
  • State Income tax = 5% of net number from Federal Income Tax return.
  • Compare medical plan costs and other benefits such as 401k contribution by employer.
  • Cost of gas/electricity/water for Chicago vs Houston - I would guess that overall less units are required in Chicago since gas is more efficient than electricity and the A/C will be on but not working quite as hard in summer. I imagine less irrigation needed in Chicago also. Have no idea how the cost per unit varies between the states though.
  • Cost of home/auto insurance - I'm guessing that this will be a bit of a wash as we lose (most of) the hurricane risk but gain more winter risk.

For moving expense discussions:
  • Need to build in cost of moving belongings.
  • Cost of travel for initial reccy and ultimate travel for people and pets.
  • Transportation of cars.
  • Costs of car registration in Illinois - is this difficult?
  • Closing costs for sale of TX house incl. realtor.
  • Possible penalties for early termination of TV and utilities that are on 24 month agreements.
  • Closing costs for property in IL.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from State to State? Things to consider.

You need to consider if your temporary living costs while you are selling your Texas home and before you can purchase your Illinois home are covered.

What happens if it takes a few months to sell your current home and you have accepted the Chicago position? Will the company pay for your flights up and down every X weeks and pay for hotel and other out of pocket expenses during this period?

Will the company alternatively 'buy' your home from you at the median of 3 appraisals after you have had your home on the open market for say 2 months and have not been able to secure a sale? Usually the home will be purchased by a broker on behalf of the company who then try and sell the home.

I have seen people who have been forced to relocate loose a boat load because they either couldnt sell their home because the market was dead or they were so underwater in their current home. Some companies have good relocation packages others are cr@p
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:18 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H2CHI
[*]Cost of gas/electricity/water for Chicago vs Houston - I would guess that overall less units are required in Chicago since gas is more efficient than electricity and the A/C will be on but not working quite as hard in summer. I imagine less irrigation needed in Chicago also. Have no idea how the cost per unit varies between the states though.
But isn't Chicago cold in the winter? As in, really cold? (They call it the Windy City for that cold 'breeze' that comes off Lake Michigan.) I've heard winters can be pretty frigid (well below freezing for months). So far more heating is needed than is ever required in Houston.

[*]Costs of car registration in Illinois - is this difficult?
Probably just takes time at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Possibly a long time. And don't forget changing over drivers license(s) to Illinois too.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
But isn't Chicago cold in the winter? As in, really cold? (They call it the Windy City for that cold 'breeze' that comes off Lake Michigan.) I've heard winters can be pretty frigid (well below freezing for months). So far more heating is needed than is ever required in Houston.

Probably just takes time at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Possibly a long time. And don't forget changing over drivers license(s) to Illinois too.
Depends on how you define really cold. Mid teens, low twenties (F) are common in January and February but I don't think that's cold at all

I believe, though, that it's called the windy city because the residents never shut their f***ing mouths.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:38 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Depends on how you define really cold. Mid teens, low twenties (F) are common in January and February but I don't think that's cold at all
As I recall, coldest average winter temps for Houston run generally low 60s in the daytime, nightime low 40s. Winter temps for Chicago run somewhat below freezing daytime & well below freezing nightime. That seems a big difference to me, but I guess it all depends on what you're used to . . . .

I believe, though, that it's called the windy city because the residents never shut their f***ing mouths.
Hmmm . . . Houstonians had a bit of that probelm too. Very 'friendly' city.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
As I recall, coldest average winter temps for Houston run generally low 60s in the daytime, nightime low 40s. Winter temps for Chicago run somewhat below freezing daytime & well below freezing nightime. That seems a big difference to me, but I guess it all depends on what you're used to . . . .
Maybe, but I moved from a place that is near enough between 35 and 65 degrees year round so it was a bit of a big jump from that, too. I just like the cold

This summer has been unusually hot and dry. I've been here seven years and I haven't experienced this many days over 90F, or such a long period without rain before we had the few storms last week

Originally Posted by WEBLue
Hmmm . . . Houstonians had a bit of that probelm too. Very 'friendly' city.
I live far enough away from Chicago that I'm largely unaffected by it, apart from stereotypes in ads on TV and all the wannabee city boys up here who have lived in Lake County all their lives, 50+ miles from the bloody place
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

ravman007 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the early stages of negotiating a possible move to a new employer which will entail a move to the suburbs of Chicago from Houston. I need to at least try and get as much of the expense agreed up front and will try and build some salary buffer for the additional cost of living. Below is a checklist of items. If anyone can see anything missing, would appreciate thoughts - especially if it is a cost specific to Illinois that we might not consider in Texas. This might seem a bit anal but would rather have some science behind the laundry list than just ask for a number.

For salary discussions:
  • Higher sales tax/Gas prices = higher general cost of living.
  • Compare property taxes = this looks quite hard to do as they have a strange calculation system (at least in Cook County). On the face of it, the tax seems lower than we have in Katy, TX based on Trulia estimates but should verify this.
  • State Income tax = 5% of net number from Federal Income Tax return.
  • Compare medical plan costs and other benefits such as 401k contribution by employer.
  • Cost of gas/electricity/water for Chicago vs Houston - I would guess that overall less units are required in Chicago since gas is more efficient than electricity and the A/C will be on but not working quite as hard in summer. I imagine less irrigation needed in Chicago also. Have no idea how the cost per unit varies between the states though.
  • Cost of home/auto insurance - I'm guessing that this will be a bit of a wash as we lose (most of) the hurricane risk but gain more winter risk.

For moving expense discussions:
  • Need to build in cost of moving belongings.
  • Cost of travel for initial reccy and ultimate travel for people and pets.
  • Transportation of cars.
  • Costs of car registration in Illinois - is this difficult?
  • Closing costs for sale of TX house incl. realtor.
  • Possible penalties for early termination of TV and utilities that are on 24 month agreements.
  • Closing costs for property in IL.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.
The car registration part should be easy. I moved from Vancouver Canada to Los Angeles in my Canadian car. Got the import stuff sorted out at the border, went to the DMV and they processed everything in 10 minutes. Gave me new plates there and then.

Hopefully that will be the easy part of your move.

Good luck
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your visa, might need to fill in AR-11 as well as financial sponsor if you move.

Salary, you're not going to get a bump just for moving to a state with income tax, but good luck with it! Don't know if there is county/city tax, but look into that too.

Utilities won't be much cheaper...depends on the heating, if it's gas it won't be as bad as oil, but it will be fooooking massive all the same.

Car maintenance is also higher. Tyres don't last nearly as long, our last set were busted to the wire after 15K miles as all weather tyres that didn't handle the winter very well. Depending on how well the local roads are kept, might be better getting a set of winter tyres even if they aren't studded, they're softer so last better in the cold.

You don't want to buy when you first arrive, it'll be a horrid mistake, especially if you've never lived in a cold place before.

What might seem like fun could be a nightmare, the snow clearing, on a hill, taking out the rubbish etc.

The car thing, DMV site for details, at a guess, ball parks of $50-150 to register, plus $30 for inspection, plus $40 for plates, plus new title, plus $40 to switch over the license, or for a re-test if your TX license is a new one.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck on your move!

"But isn't Chicago cold in the winter? As in, really cold? (They call it the Windy City for that cold 'breeze' that comes off Lake Michigan.)"

The nickname for the city came about in the 1800s due to all the political bickering that went on and "hot air" from politicians-- at least that's what we were told in 8th grade US history class.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Car maintenance is also higher. Tyres don't last nearly as long, our last set were busted to the wire after 15K miles as all weather tyres that didn't handle the winter very well. Depending on how well the local roads are kept, might be better getting a set of winter tyres even if they aren't studded, they're softer so last better in the cold.
The usual recommendation for the NorthEast is that if you are not in the city themselves is to get a set of winter tyres and have them changed every winter/spring. You will also probably need to change your oil viscosity and have general winter maintenance done on the car.

You should also check any smog/registration inspection requirements of the new state as one state may be different to another.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:48 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
The nickname for the city came about in the 1800s due to all the political bickering that went on and "hot air" from politicians-- at least that's what we were told in 8th grade US history class.
Yes, I think there are several stories about where the nickname came from, probably different ones taught depending on the state & the era.

Wikipedia assigns three origins of the name: the weather, the rivalry with Cincinnati, & the local boasting to attract the World's Fair in 1890.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_...2Windy_City%22
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

You only really notice how cold it is in the Winter, once you are lying on your ass, after slipping and falling on the Ice.

Lots of stuff to do, all times of the year. Beautiful scenery within a short drive of Chicago.

Jim.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

In the early stages of negotiating a possible move to a new employer which will entail a move to the suburbs of Chicago from Houston. I need to at least try and get as much of the expense agreed up front and will try and build some salary buffer for the additional cost of living. ...
It's a great idea to consider all this in detail so you are armed with information when considering an offer. However, there are, in my opinion, bigger factors to take into account - such as, does the new job have better stability, long-term potential, career-growth possibilities, etc.

Unless you have some very unique skills, you have to consider that you are up against 'locals' who are not going to need coverage for any relocation expenses, so getting them to cover these expenses will simply add to the cost of hiring you versus a local. Since relocation expenses may have some separate budget allocation, this could have a greater or lesser impact.

I would echo what someone else said; don't buy immediately ... make sure the area is what you expect it to be.

My g/f is considering a job in Florida right now, and we just got back from her interview trip. There are lots of furnished rentals that she could start off in. When I transferred down to Scottsdale from CA, I found a great furnished rental that I occupied for 6 months before buying a place. I wish I'd waited longer ...