Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving state and drivers licence

moving state and drivers licence

Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:47 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice
Default moving state and drivers licence

ok ,say I moved from NYS to another state, would I have to apply for a new licence in that state or wait till it expires?
when i does expire do i go to my local state dmv or back to the issue state?

i'm not in any position to be doing this but just for future refrence.
ILM
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving state and drivers licence

Originally Posted by ILM
ok ,say I moved from NYS to another state, would I have to apply for a new licence in that state or wait till it expires?
when i does expire do i go to my local state dmv or back to the issue state?

i'm not in any position to be doing this but just for future refrence.
ILM
Gotta get a new one mines changed 4 times lol..and the worst is some make you test again the written exam, depends which state!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:56 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Gotta get a new one mines changed 4 times lol..and the worst is some make you test again the written exam, depends which state!!
i'm in NYS and I know all residents that move here have to take a test again etc and lose their old licence.in favour of a NYS licence
phew glad i cleared that one up , it was topical in the last thread i looked at lol

ILM
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

NYC to FL, need new licence, within 30 days of residency. Eye test & swap one for one.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ILM
i'm in NYS and I know all residents that move here have to take a test again etc and lose their old licence.in favour of a NYS licence
phew glad i cleared that one up , it was topical in the last thread i looked at lol

ILM
That's BS, just moved to NY from Oregon, just paid the $42 and handed in old license, new one arrived in the mail a few days later.....
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving
But yes, you will need a new license, normally must be done with in 30 days... but hey they don't ask...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the state you'll reside in, anything from 10 days to 60 days, usually 30 days to switch the license, cost of new license and you hand your old one over, usually have an eye test and that's it, if your under 26 you might have to do a theory test in some states....and you'd also have to register and title your car in the state and get new plates.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:19 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrightontoBoston
That's BS, just moved to NY from Oregon, just paid the $42 and handed in old license, new one arrived in the mail a few days later.....
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving
But yes, you will need a new license, normally must be done with in 30 days... but hey they don't ask...
What did they give you in the meantime in case you needed proof of identification or a way to prove that you are licensed driver if you were to get pulled over after leaving the DMV? I've never heard of someone getting their license in the mail unless they were in the military. That seems odd to me. Especially when you turned over your old license.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
What did they give you in the meantime in case you needed proof of identification or a way to prove that you are licensed driver if you were to get pulled over after leaving the DMV? I've never heard of someone getting their license in the mail unless they were in the military. That seems odd to me. Especially when you turned over your old license.
you get a paper slip that's good for a few weeks till the real one arrives, well it's what they do in Mass....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:30 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you get a paper slip that's good for a few weeks till the real one arrives, well it's what they do in Mass....
Each time I've moved I've gotten a license on the spot. They took my Oklahoma license when I moved to Virginia so I had something in my pocket for a government issued photo ID. It would suck not to have it for check writing purposes. When I moved from Virginia to Missouri they snagged my license and replaced it on the spot with a new drivers license. It just seems weird to have it mailed.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the state you'll reside in, anything from 10 days to 60 days, usually 30 days to switch the license, cost of new license and you hand your old one over, usually have an eye test and that's it, if your under 26 you might have to do a theory test in some states....and you'd also have to register and title your car in the state and get new plates.
Louisiana they do it on the spot and give you the new licence there and then, just an eye test.

Illinois is a written 35 questions or rather a computer screen multiple choice.

California written test.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Each time I've moved I've gotten a license on the spot. They took my Oklahoma license when I moved to Virginia so I had something in my pocket for a government issued photo ID. It would suck not to have it for check writing purposes. When I moved from Virginia to Missouri they snagged my license and replaced it on the spot with a new drivers license. It just seems weird to have it mailed.
Agreed, i'm fortunate enough to get asked for id on occasion when buying alcohol, generally the DMV print out a new card on the spot don't they? But i may be an extra address verifiction in NY?
But Bob was right, they gave me a paper 'interim' one.... expires on 06/18/08
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

well in Maine and Mass, they don't make them on the spot, you get them in a couple weeks and the paper slip is as good as the real thing, in theory It's good enough to get into a bar at least.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

PA gave me a temporary photo license with a big red "TEMPORARY" on it while they verify your photo in their database, then the permanent arrives in the mail 2 weeks later.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Texas is the same as Maine and Mass.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of someone getting their license in the mail unless they were in the military.
Then I am guessing that you have never lived in California ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.