Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from Spain to USA with personal belongings shipped via UPS & customs

Moving from Spain to USA with personal belongings shipped via UPS & customs

Old May 23rd 2019, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

daavem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Spain to USA with personal belongings shipped via UPS & customs

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of relocating from Barcelona, Spain to Austin, TX and I'm getting a little confused about the customs declaration I need to complete to ensure my shipment with UPS glides through CBP without any issues or taxes.

So far I've determined that I need to complete a 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles, however I do not have all the necessary details to complete the entire form such as the shipment details and plane that UPS will use. Also, should this just be attached to the side of the box, or should it be within some form of additional packaging so only the CBP agents can receive my details?

If anyone has any prior experience or further knowledge I'd really appreciate your help!
Old May 24th 2019, 3:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Spain to USA with personal belongings shipped via UPS & customs

Originally Posted by daavem View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of relocating from Barcelona, Spain to Austin, TX and I'm getting a little confused about the customs declaration I need to complete to ensure my shipment with UPS glides through CBP without any issues or taxes.

So far I've determined that I need to complete a 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles, however I do not have all the necessary details to complete the entire form such as the shipment details and plane that UPS will use. Also, should this just be attached to the side of the box, or should it be within some form of additional packaging so only the CBP agents can receive my details?

If anyone has any prior experience or further knowledge I'd really appreciate your help!
I don't, sorry, but don't UPS know?
Old May 24th 2019, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Spain to USA with personal belongings shipped via UPS & customs

normally this is done by the shipping company, ask them.
It is fair that you do not know the plane, probably they do not know either. The freight business for goods is not like the passenger one, your items are not confirmed in a precise flight unless you pay extra.
Old May 25th 2019, 7:42 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daavem View Post
Hey everyone,

As per LiW, UPS will know, ask them. .... But FWIW, customs paperwork is typically inserted in a plastic pocket attached to the exterior of the (a) box/ case that is being shipped. This method of attaching the destination address and shipping paperwork is not used in the UK for domestic parcels, but is common in the US even if the shipment is within the US.