British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving some of my 5 year-time stuff to USA by boat?airplane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-some-my-5-year-time-stuff-usa-boat-airplane-924922/)

Trex386 May 13th 2019 9:51 am

Moving some of my 5 year-time stuff to USA by boat?airplane?

Hello,

I am new here and I think this forum can help a lot. I am moving to USA at the end of July with my partner and I would like to bring with me stuff from my renting home like clothes, flat furniture like a small trunk, maybe a TV?, some bibs and bobs, a couple of laptops, etc. The majority of thing we are pretending to sell it. So it would be in total like 5 or 6 big suitcases. But all companies II have seen on the internet they are asking for around £2k... and I am super lost here. Is there any cheaper way to bring my stuff there?

Regards.

scar May 13th 2019 11:21 am

Re: Moving some of my 5 year-time stuff to USA by boat?airplane?

if it all fits into suitcases why not pay the £65 per cases (BA charge) and add extra cases onto your flights?

We recently moved UK > USA and it was £1200 to ship a 1 bedroom flat across (minus bed & chest of drawers)

Glasgow Girl May 13th 2019 1:53 pm

The TV may be more hassle than it is worth. you need to consider if it will work on 120V, if not you will need a transformer. If you get the voltage issue fixed, It may or may not work on the US system depending upon the TV. The manufacturer could answer that question. Unless it is a new TV, or something special, just buy one here. They are relatively inexpensive. Given the shipping cost, insurance, and what you may get from selling the TV in the UK, you will probably come out ahead. Same comments really on anything electrical. Ditto the furniture.

On the clothes, I agree with paying extra for additional baggage on the flight over. I brought a couple of boxes the maximum dimensions allowed by the airlines. You could also look into sending via UPS or FedEx.

Pulaski May 13th 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl (Post 12683141)
The TV may be more hassle than it is worth. you need to consider if it will work on 120V, if not you will need a transformer. If you get the voltage issue fixed, It may or may not work on the US system depending upon the TV. The manufacturer could answer that question. Unless it is a new TV, or something special, just buy one here. They are relatively inexpensive. Given the shipping cost, insurance, and what you may get from selling the TV in the UK, you will probably come out ahead. Same comments really on anything electrical. Ditto the furniture. …...

!00% agreed, you can get a new 4" TV for less than $250, when there is a good chance that your "not-new" TV will be damaged in transit. Honestly even if you would otherwise have to give/ throw it away, these days I would not bring a TV from the UK.

A few other electrical things will work(computers are a notable exception here, especially laptops), but not many, and kitchen appliances and gadgets are notorious for not being 120V/60Hz compatible, and in fact there's a good chance that anything with a motor won't run properly on US mains power.

Trex386 May 14th 2019 6:47 am

Hopefully, my laptop will work... I just bought it 3 months ago.

Any comments on <snip>? Apparently, it is the cheapest one. 100 cubic feet £700. But I am scared of hiding fees.

tom169 May 14th 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Trex386 (Post 12683441)
Hopefully, my laptop will work... I just bought it 3 months ago.

Any comments on <snip>? Apparently, it is the cheapest one. 100 cubic feet £700. But I am scared of hiding fees.

Yes it should work. You will likely only need to change the power cord... Sometimes called a kettle lead in the UK

markcst May 18th 2019 2:08 pm

There are places that have calculators and also advise of costs. We walked our mover round our place and he gave a firm quote for the shipping costs. Our simple rule of thumb was no point bringing electrics bar laptops or dual voltage stuff and anything we could buy here at relatively cheap costs we didn’t bring. There were some emotional objects we bought here, but we were also pretty strict on that (I sold my whole vinyl collection for example).

as others said TVs are stupidly cheap here. Use Best Buy or Walmart to price up real worth of bringing things.

Pulaski May 19th 2019 2:16 am

Originally Posted by markcst (Post 12685459)
.... Use Best Buy or Walmart to price up real worth of bringing things.

Or Amazon. :nod: .... Just make sure you're getting the .com site prices.

Noorah101 May 19th 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Trex386 (Post 12683056)
Hello,
The majority of thing we are pretending to sell it.

Did you perhaps mean "intending" to sell? ;)

Rene

steveq May 20th 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12683147)
!00% agreed, you can get a new 4" TV for less than $250,

....but the magnifying glass to read a 4 inch screen is somewhat more expensive....

Pulaski May 20th 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 12686067)
....but the magnifying glass to read a 4 inch screen is somewhat more expensive....

How did that happen. I was sloppy there, with two typos :(

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12683147)
100% agreed, you can get a new 40" TV for less than $250, ….

newadventure May 20th 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12686086)
How did that happen

Three! :)