Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving/Shipping Insurance

Moving/Shipping Insurance

Old Jul 1st 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving/Shipping Insurance

Finally booked the shippers to start packing up the house. We are definitely going to take out insurance on the shipment for loss and damages. What has been your experience of going with the shipper's insurance policy opposed to taking out a policy independently.

The quote from the shipper is £2155 plus IPT, but a google search brought up several companies who offer such policies at a much reduced premium. For example, Royal Sun Alliance offer an 'Insure Your Move' policy which reading their T&Cs compares in the main on a like for like basis to the shipper's policy, yet the premium was £1312 inc IPT.

Is this too good to be true? Advice and opinions welcome.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving/Shipping Insurance

When we were moving from Ireland to the US, I shopped around a bit, but my removals company (Beverly Smyth) came in at the cheapest at 2.5% of replacement value (other quotes were in and around there, with a few outliers who were swiftly discounted!)

If it's with a large insurer like RSA, and you're comfortable the coverage is equivalent, I'd go with the cheaper option. Personally, I did more homework on making sure the shipping firm and US agent were reputable - as I think they have more impact on what condition your stuff arrives in, barring the ship sinking :-/
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1981
..... I did more homework on making sure the shipping firm and US agent were reputable - as I think they have more impact on what condition your stuff arrives in, barring the ship sinking. ......
The biggest risk of a "total loss" is probably this happening to your container. I have read estimates that around 10,000 -12,000 containers per year wash overboard.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 2nd 2015 at 10:13 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://gcaptain.com/how-many-shipping-containers-lost-at-sea/#.VZUXvlL3bCQ

I'm still attaching greater risk to Dodgy Joe Packer not wrapping my wife's teacups correctly :-D
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

geekguy is an unknown quantity at this point

The guys we used were:

A Letton Percival & Co Ltd
The Old Malthouse
Trueman Street
Liverpool
L3 2BA

tel: 0151 236 4568

Underwritten by Lloyds via Kiln Regional Underwriting Ltd.

"Please note the rate applicable from UK to USA is 1.40% plus 6% Insurance Premium Tax (based on the total consignment value which should include all items being shipped based on their full AS NEW replacement value at destination, other than garden furniture, tools, garage items etc which should be valued on a secondhand replacement basis). If the goods are not professionally packed, please refer to the Owner Packed Effects Clause on the Conditions side of the form."

There is a standard excess per claim (not item) of £250.

Hope this helps..
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geekguy
The guys we used were:

A Letton Percival & Co Ltd
The Old Malthouse
Trueman Street
Liverpool
L3 2BA

tel: 0151 236 4568
Thank you, I'll give them a call on Monday