Reload this Page >

Moving to Seattle - Shipping goods

Moving to Seattle - Shipping goods

Old Jan 23rd 2024, 11:00 am
Just Joined

JT42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Seattle - Shipping goods

Hi
We're moving from NW England to Seattle towards the end of February.

I've searched the forums and read lots of the removals threads, but could still do with some advice please.

We plan on just taking personal stuff and won't be taking any furniture. But as there are 5 of us we have quite a lot. I'm estimating 10 tea chest size boxes, maybe some smaller boxes for the books.

I've had quotes from multiple removal companies, and up to today the best option for us seemed to be using Pickfords or Anglo Pacific to do 5 of the boxes via courier and the rest shipped across, as we don't need it as quickly.
Quotes were around -
£869 for courier 5 boxes
£955 for sea 5 boxes, plus bike and golf clubs/bag
that was Anglo Pacific, Pickfords was a bit more.

But after reading through things here today I saw Upackweship mentioned, and spoke to them. If we wanted to send stuff by sea, their website prices seem higher than the removal companies.
He recommended Mybaggage for things sent by air/courier. Looking at their website it seems like a cheaper option for sending stuff by air/courier. Has anyone used them before?

Also, I'd been in touch with doreebonner and they said-
"Many thanks , a courier service is a completely different offering to what is provided by us and other BAR/Fidi registered shipping companies , a courier in essence is a transport option , I am unsure of the clearance and delivery side involved as I imagine they are unable to fully clear customs and quarantine and or delivery would be curbside only.
Please do check the service the courier is offering as we wouldn’t be able to help with that method , it is fraught with risk for us as we manage the end-to-end product and experience and couriering anything more than a large parcel {DHL} would not be something we would consider nor be able to endorse. "
So that's made me worried about using a courier company. Although I know many people do, so it must work and be able to clear customs.

Also trying to work out if it's worth paying to take my 8 year old's bike, or just buy over there.

My brain is fried! Would people recommend using the removals companies (such as Pickfords) or the courier only type companies? Would removals be more reliable, albeit dearer? If courier, can anyone recommend a good one they've used recently? Are there any customs issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Last edited by JT42; Jan 23rd 2024 at 11:18 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 5:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Seattle - Shipping goods

Originally Posted by JT42
Hi
We're moving from NW England to Seattle towards the end of February.

I've searched the forums and read lots of the removals threads, but could still do with some advice please.

We plan on just taking personal stuff and won't be taking any furniture. But as there are 5 of us we have quite a lot. I'm estimating 10 tea chest size boxes, maybe some smaller boxes for the books.

I've had quotes from multiple removal companies, and up to today the best option for us seemed to be using Pickfords or Anglo Pacific to do 5 of the boxes via courier and the rest shipped across, as we don't need it as quickly.
Quotes were around -
£869 for courier 5 boxes
£955 for sea 5 boxes, plus bike and golf clubs/bag
that was Anglo Pacific, Pickfords was a bit more.

But after reading through things here today I saw Upackweship mentioned, and spoke to them. If we wanted to send stuff by sea, their website prices seem higher than the removal companies.
He recommended Mybaggage for things sent by air/courier. Looking at their website it seems like a cheaper option for sending stuff by air/courier. Has anyone used them before?

Also, I'd been in touch with doreebonner and they said-
"Many thanks , a courier service is a completely different offering to what is provided by us and other BAR/Fidi registered shipping companies , a courier in essence is a transport option , I am unsure of the clearance and delivery side involved as I imagine they are unable to fully clear customs and quarantine and or delivery would be curbside only.
Please do check the service the courier is offering as we wouldn’t be able to help with that method , it is fraught with risk for us as we manage the end-to-end product and experience and couriering anything more than a large parcel {DHL} would not be something we would consider nor be able to endorse. "
So that's made me worried about using a courier company. Although I know many people do, so it must work and be able to clear customs.

Also trying to work out if it's worth paying to take my 8 year old's bike, or just buy over there.

My brain is fried! Would people recommend using the removals companies (such as Pickfords) or the courier only type companies? Would removals be more reliable, albeit dearer? If courier, can anyone recommend a good one they've used recently? Are there any customs issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks
for bikes and other similar sports equipment look at airline baggage, United lets you bring it free / as part of your baggage allowance, I brought skis and a Brompton… and because I was commuting for a couple of years I moved all my personal stuff by carry on, but checked bags even if paid may work out cheaper than shipping…