British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving to Seattle from Ontario Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-seattle-ontario-canada-332382/)

SmilerJen Oct 19th 2005 4:21 pm

moving to Seattle from Ontario Canada

Hi Everyone,
Moved to Ontario, Canada 3 years ago from the UK and love it, now my Husband has been giving the opportunity to move to Seattle (outskirts) we are looking at Enumclaw, Bonney Lake, Tacoma around that area.
To be honest i am quite nervous about this as it took me a while to settle in Canada and now i feel this is home, we are uprooting again. Does anyone have any info on living in Canada versus the US how different is it??
Any info on these areas in Seattle would be useful also
Thanks for the input
Smiler

Mick Travis Oct 20th 2005 5:13 pm

Re: moving to Seattle from Ontario Canada

Originally Posted by SmilerJen
Hi Everyone,
Moved to Ontario, Canada 3 years ago from the UK and love it, now my Husband has been giving the opportunity to move to Seattle (outskirts) we are looking at Enumclaw, Bonney Lake, Tacoma around that area.
To be honest i am quite nervous about this as it took me a while to settle in Canada and now i feel this is home, we are uprooting again. Does anyone have any info on living in Canada versus the US how different is it??
Thanks for the input
Smiler

I can answer this. I was born in the UK, emigrated to Canada when I was one (Oakville), grew up there, then moved back to the UK in the late 80's, where I stayed until I moved to Venice, California a couple of years ago.

You're going to find the weather is very different. Lots of rain and fog, and not a lot of snow. Seattle is a wonderful city - very liberal and cosmopolitan. Great live music scene, and lots of great pubs and restaurants. Cost of living is about the same as Toronto, minus the health care issue. Gas is cheaper, as are most other things. You'll pay fewer taxes, and your salary will likely increase by about 50%, at least. Housing is expensive, but that's true in Canada now, too (especially in the GTA.)

The differences between the US and Canada are slight compared to the difference between the UK and Canada. You're already over the hump. The only thing you'll notice is that a lot of Americans make fun of Canada, despite knowing next to nothing about it. A good way to shut them up is to ask them who the prime minister is. If they can't answer tell them they clearly are talking out of their arse.

Have a great time in Seattle!

AmerLisa Oct 20th 2005 6:53 pm

Re: moving to Seattle from Ontario Canada

Originally Posted by SmilerJen
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the input
Smiler

Oooh, you'll be in my neck of the woods, so to speak. :D We live in Puyallup. Where you live depends on where you want to commute from. Let me know if you'd like more specific details.