Reload this Page >

Moving to Seattle

Moving to Seattle

Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

EllaLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Seattle

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this thread already exists somewhere else.

I'm looking for any help and advice.

We are considering moving to Seattle as my husband is in the final stages of the recruitment process with a business based in the centre of Seattle.

I'm basically after all the advice I can get for a family with a 5 year old considering moving to Seattle.
We would be looking to rent for the first 12 months and rent out our house in the Uk (just in case we hate it!!!)
We have 2 dogs and a pony which would all need to come with us!
We'd be looking to move somewhere that great for families and that can also accommodate my daughters pony. My husband would be looking for his commute to be 30-45 mins maximum as we want to maintain our work/life balance that we currently have in the uk.
Excellent schools are a must and we would also consider sending out daughter to a private school if this is something that people would highly recommend.
We ideally want to live somewhere with access to outdoor space, close to livery yard for our pony, close to good schools and within 45 mins of the centre of Seattle. Is that possible or am I dreaming???
If anyone can point us in the direction of great websites to look for property rentals.
Does anyone have experience of bringing pets over from the uk? Or a pony?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. It's not a done deal yet but if my husband is successful I'm sure things will pick up speed quickly and we'll be in Seattle before you know it! 😀😀😀 xx
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Seattle

A 45 minute commute means that space for a pony comes at a huge price or some off-peak working times.

Use Google maps to find a commute you'd be happy with, here's a link to North Bend which has plenty of paddock space and is just about within 45 minutes at offpeak times: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nort...47.6062095!3e0
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

First question to ask is what kind of 'recruitment process'? Is this a company that is going to sponsor your husband for a visa? Because if not, it's not happening. Anyone can apply for a job in the US, but getting sponsorship is a whole other matter.

If this is a done deal, then there are a few people on this board from the PWC who can help. I've visited a couple of times (once as a guest of Mr. Gates and once for an Alaskan cruise). I love it, but it does rain a lot!

A good source of information is city-data.com.

As for pets, I know a lot of people have brought cats and dogs, but a pony, I think, would be a new one!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For rentals and buying houses, you can try Zillow.com or realtor.com

Also bear in mind that your start up costs for renting might be expensive, i.e. additional security deposits to the landlord due to not having a credit history, deposits on utilities, rental insurance, car insurance, on and on and on. Ain't life wonderful?

As noted, if you are insistent on bringing the pony with you, you will find that either you and your daughter will have to travel to ride said pony or hubby will have a longer commute to the office. I understand the desire to keep the pony in the family as I have a niece who had to board her horse out in the country while their home was in Rochester proper. She needed to drive 45 minutes each time she needed to see her horse and do the barnyard chores that reduced her boarding fee.

Depending on what he does for a living, you might be pleasantly surprised to find that he might well spend less time in the office while in the US then he did in the UK. This has been the experience of many transplants from the UK.

Do hope you are not too disappointed in the US when you find it is not utopia and will never fulfill all your dreams. Give and take is necessary.

Please use the search function. There have been numerous threads on bringing cats and dogs to the US and at least two of them have been within the last two months and are quite informative.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:16 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

That pony is going to make the other requirements tough / expensive to meet. One thing: You do NOT want a north / south interstate commute in Seattle.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Depending on what he does for a living, you might be pleasantly surprised to find that he might well spend less time in the office while in the US then he did in the UK. This has been the experience of many transplants from the UK.
Really? The norm is longer hours here and far less vacation time than in the UK so I am wondering why you say this.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
Really? The norm is longer hours here and far less vacation time than in the UK so I am wondering why you say this.
Agreed.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We moved a horse to Pittsburgh in March. The transport by road from JFK to Pittsburgh was arranged locally just by searching online. The air transport and customs etc was through a company called Pedens Bloodstock (or mersant int in the US).

As an indication the air transport cost us almost $10,000 and that was just to the east coast.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.
Dave
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

For realty/ rental service I recommend RedFin as a starting point. Easy to navigate.

Last edited by vikingsail; Aug 5th 2016 at 7:40 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I was expecting the opposite but pleasantly surprised to find not so (in my current job, at least).
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I found that quite the opposite when reading posts. But then again, probably depends on the nature of the employment. I didn't mention vacation time ;-) Know that to be a thorn on the rose.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider selling that pony. It will be expensive to bring.
We feel office hours are the same here but commute is faster than london and that alone improved ouraualityoflife. Try to live a reasonable commute to the job is my advice.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

k1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nice

You might try looking for houses in either the Lake Stevens/Everett/Monroe area. Lots of farmland and I am sure Horse boarding. Commute is about 45 minutes to 1 hr. You might also try Redmond/Issaquah area with lots of farmland in the Duvall area and all relatively close to Seattle.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Not me. I am on 1/2 the vacation time I had in the UK (15+1 floating vs 31 in the UK), and that's after 15 years here (I was on the max vacation the moment I moved to the US) and I regularly work 60+ hour weeks, oh and in July I had exactly 3 weekend days off in the whole month (i.e. 3 out of 8 weekend days).....
Old Aug 12th 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I live out in the East Side (Issaquah). I'm pretty sure there are stables around here.

Schools are good, commute is reasonable - especially if you can car/vanpool. This could change depending on where exactly your husband works. some bits are a bit 'nice' - I like a little grit and I'm not sure my neighbors appreciate my old '97 GMC Suburban.

As to work life balance, I think the answer here is that it totally depends on the employer and the industry. I have an excellent work life balance, sensible hours (8-4), can work from home if need to, 25 ish days a year PTO (the downer here is that is for sick and for vacation time).

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.