Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Scottsdale AZ

Moving to Scottsdale AZ

Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Scottsdale AZ

Originally Posted by kodokan
Not quite - technically you need an AZ license 'immediately' you start acting like a resident rather than a visitor
Unless you're Canadian or from Montana, Idaho, Alaska... mumble grumble bloody snow birds mumble grumble.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Unless you're Canadian or from Montana, Idaho, Alaska... mumble grumble bloody snow birds mumble grumble.
In fairness, they're usually neither working nor placing kids in the schools. And I can't wait until I can be one, but in reverse!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 4:41 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elin1
Scousepete, Kodokan - thanks so much - area specific information is the kind of thing I was looking for.

We are open to suggestions about location for where to live as a short(ish) commute into Scottsdale would be acceptable - say about 30 minutes drive. Which are the nicest neighbourhoods? Is there anywhere that is more suited to families/young children?

I have heard a lot about the temperature. I take it most homes have AC?!!

Also - how easy was it to get an AZ drivers licence (if you have one) if you already had one in the UK?

Thank you.
Within 30 minutes you have cave creek, fountain hills, anthem, Tempe, Mesa, chandler, Gilbert. Chandler is probably the most ethnically diverse due companies like Intel.
Also thier parks and recreation has lot of classes for kids from about six months up.

The heat you get used to and apart from monsoon season the humidity is low.

Driver's. License is easy to get as long you can show legal residence, simply a computer multiple choice followed by 30 minutes driving.

If you want night life such as bars and clubs then downtown Scottsdale or Tempe which has younger crowd as it is college town.

And welcome to the neighborhood

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Jan 30th 2014 at 4:45 am.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you reading for your driving test. I came over here last year and was told the driving test was just right turns. Not so, I had left turns, right turns and reversing! Do read especially about parking on hills.

I live in Northern Scottsdale and I am as common as muck!! Very nice place. Come before the summer and then the summer won't be too bad. Winters are great. Good Luck.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carlisle401
Do you reading for your driving test. I came over here last year and was told the driving test was just right turns. Not so, I had left turns, right turns and reversing! Do read especially about parking on hills.
My road test WAS just right turns, scarily, but hubby had something resembling a proper test that took about 15-20 mins and involved the usual range of junction manoeuvres.

The reversing/ parallel parking is a standard part of the AZ test and done every time, before the road test, where you have to reverse the car into a parallel parking position alongside a painted line 'kerb', between a set of cones (because parallel parking is SO regularly used in AZ...). Again, mine was weird - I'd been out practising that morning using wheelie bins: drive past second bin, stop, reverse into space on my right rear corner, etc. But when I got to my test site, they had the space set up on the left of the car, as if you'd somehow crossed all the traffic lanes and were now trying to parallel park facing the oncoming traffic! Pretty easy to do though, as I could just lean out of the window and see the line.

And hey, even if by some chance you don't pass, you can just turn up the next day and try again, and the next, all for the same $10. So there's no real pressure.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elin1
I have heard a lot about the temperature. I take it most homes have AC?!!

Thank you.
Yep, since the 1970s

Its hot out but as the locals like to say its a dry heat (no humidity so its doesn't feel sticky). A few months of the year you might be stuck indoors but houses are generally of a good size here. I'd prefer to be stuck inside a decent size house for 3 months or so than stuck in a tiny house up in the north east for 5 months.
You will notice people in Arizona get up and going as soon as the sun comes up at 5am to take advantage of the cooler weather. There are no clock changes and its dark by 7.30pm in the summer.
Not having to bundle your children up every time you go out is nice.
Mums clubs seem to be popular here. Most of my wife's current friends are mums club friends. There are quite a few indoor play places, public splash pad type places around. Also when its hot its off season so all the large resorts with lots of pools and lazy rivers, water slides etc offer deep discounts. Its common for families to have "staycations" at these resorts to help cool off.

Good luck with the move to Scottsdale, most of it is considered posh and they actually nick name it Snottsdale. But its very nice and has great schools. You will expect to pay more to live in the scottsdale/paradise valley area than you would for a comparable property anywhere else.

Have you tried websites such as http://www.realtor.com/ to look for houses?

Driving test is really easy, four right turns around a block and some stupid questions along the line of "what do you do at a red light"
Biggest shock was the tester was a police offer who sat in my passenger seat fully armed.

I hope all goes well

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Feb 24th 2014 at 9:11 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carlisle401
I live in Northern Scottsdale and I am as common as muck!!
Lots of people were able to get into better areas after the property bubble burst like you did.

Fortunately for the OP the housing market is still tilted in favour of the buyer.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Feb 24th 2014 at 9:33 pm.