Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from Scotland to New Mexico

Moving from Scotland to New Mexico

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

lashface88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Scotland to New Mexico

In january im moving to New Mexico. Are there any Brits out there who have moved to this area? Or can anyone tell me whats its like etc. Im very nervous but so excited at the same time. Any replies would be great!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving from Scotland to New Mexico

Originally Posted by lashface88
In january im moving to New Mexico. Are there any Brits out there who have moved to this area? Or can anyone tell me whats its like etc. Im very nervous but so excited at the same time. Any replies would be great!
My husband first started out in New Mexico, in a little town called Rio Rancho just outside Albuquerque. It was fairly quiet there, slow pace of life, lots of nice scenery and very different to the UK. People were great, very friendly and helpful. I was only there for a couple of months but enjoyed it. Very convenient to travel to California and Vegas and we got around quite a bit and saw some of the other major towns in NM. Had the best salsa ever in Santa Fe! The Mexican food was unbelievable. There was quite a big expat group out there at the time as the company my husband worked for had a big job on at the Intel site, not sure about now.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 9:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Newsflash - it's hot!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by denzil75
My husband first started out in New Mexico, in a little town called Rio Rancho just outside Albuquerque. It was fairly quiet there, slow pace of life, lots of nice scenery and very different to the UK. People were great, very friendly and helpful. I was only there for a couple of months but enjoyed it. Very convenient to travel to California and Vegas and we got around quite a bit and saw some of the other major towns in NM. Had the best salsa ever in Santa Fe! The Mexican food was unbelievable. There was quite a big expat group out there at the time as the company my husband worked for had a big job on at the Intel site, not sure about now.
Thank you for the reply. I'll be living in Albuquerque. Im a qualified beauty therapist and hope to get a job in a spa near there. Im glad people are nice and friendly! Also looking forward to trying the mexican food!! How did you find the adjustment moving to the states?
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Thank you for the reply. I'll be living in Albuquerque. Im a qualified beauty therapist and hope to get a job in a spa near there. Im glad people are nice and friendly! Also looking forward to trying the mexican food!! How did you find the adjustment moving to the states?
If you can get a job in a spa then you should be fine, a great way to meet lots of people. I found the adjustment okay, it was all rather exciting and loved exploring new places. My husband then got moved to Arizona so went spent more time there but loved it. Unfortunately, I started to get really homesick when I was pregnant with our first so we moved back to the UK after he was born. Didn't settle in the UK which is why we are back out in the States now.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Ah ok. Do you find people are quite accepting to brits who move over? Im a little worried :/ does everyone drive over there? I dont have a license as I live in Edinburgh and you can pretty much walk everywhere or bus. But ive heard that ill definately need to drive in the states. Thanks for your help and advice!!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah ok. Do you find people are quite accepting to brits who move over? Im a little worried :/ does everyone drive over there? I dont have a license as I live in Edinburgh and you can pretty much walk everywhere or bus. But ive heard that ill definately need to drive in the states. Thanks for your help and advice!!
People will probably be amazed that you have chosen to live in NM! Never come across anyone that has had a problem with expats, everyone finds it pretty intriguing why we end up in the States. You'll probably be even more of an intrigue in NM than I am here, there are loads of expats around this area, we are quite common

You will need to drive. I didn't drive in NM as I was only visiting on the VWP so couldn't. Husband got his first US license in NM and didn't even take a test! Depending on how close you are to things you could walk but I would get your license as soon as possible. I did walk in NM, we had a supermarket about a 30 min walk from us. But to be able to get to the mall and visit other places we had to drive. Are you coming out on your own? Just curious if it is a job transfer with your husband (if you have one)? If so, he may meet people from work that might help you to settle in quicker. It is a big adjustment and does take time, I still feel homesick 7 years later but I think that's normal for most expats.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Im getting married in a few weeks and my husband to be works for the air force so we'll stay at the base there for at least a year. He works long hours so as soon as I get my work visa I'll get a job and my license. Yeah I prob will get homesick but I'll use skype and whatsapp to keep in touch with everyone in the uk. Some people have said NM is dangerous but I guess it can be like that anywhere. Is there any other tips you have for first moving over? Thank you
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from Dcotland to California. Just one piece of advice that my wife continually tells me.

Sunscreen. Even in January.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Haha thank you! Im very pale so sun screen is a must!!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Haha thank you! Im very pale so sun screen is a must!!
We own a bit of land in the bootheel of NM, we went to visit it once, and we're invited to lunch.... now here in the uk we live in Manchester. Lunch was 45 miles away... for us, the same as going to Leeds...so you have to be able to drive...the scale of the West is just mind blowing.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Although New Mexico is mainly known for it's deserts, there are quite a few ski resorts within a 3 hour drive from Albuquerque.

http://skicentral.com/newmexico-map.html

Also New Mexico is significantly more liberal politically than it neighbors Texas and Arizona.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Im getting married in a few weeks and my husband to be works for the air force so we'll stay at the base there for at least a year. He works long hours so as soon as I get my work visa I'll get a job and my license.
As soon as you get your "work visa"? That suggests a problem, the U.S. visa system doesn't work that way usually ...

What is your plan for a visa? Is your husband a U.S. citizen or is he a British serviceman who will spend time temporarily in the United States?
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

He is in the U.S military so I'll become command sponsored and I'll get my visa within the first 2 months of being there.

Thats great thanks for the link, I look forward to skiing there
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Again, it doesn't work that way. Are you already married? If so your visa will need to be processed while you remain in the UK, same goes for the fiancée visa. It will be quicker for a serviceman, but you still cannot live in the US without the appropriate visa to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.