British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to SC Next Week (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-sc-next-week-748606/)

SarahG Feb 15th 2012 1:10 pm

Moving to SC Next Week

Next Friday we are moving from Carmel, Indiana to Mt Pleasant, South Carolina. You'd think I'd have packed more by now! I keep finding other things to do. Like bake cookies, watch stuff I've got in my DVR.... I *hate* packing! Doesn't help that we are moving ourselves! I'm so not looking forward to the drive south. OH in a Budget truck and me and the kids in our car. :eek:

Sheepdip Feb 15th 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Moving to SC Next Week

Welcome to SC in advance, Nothing could be finer you know :D

SarahG Feb 15th 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks. I hope it proves to be as pleasant a place to live as Carmel has been for us. :fingerscrossed:

Brat1 Feb 15th 2012 1:53 pm

Hey Sarah, this is just another chapter in the journey you have been taking since 2009. I wish you, your OH and the kids, all the best in your new life in South Carolina and I hope the job works out better than the last one. It's such a shame you're having to move again, but everything happens for a reason and I'm sure the kids and you will settle in just fine. So, get your butt in gear, get packing and stop baking cookies :D I look forward to hearing about your journey, all the best :thumbsup:

Sally Redux Feb 15th 2012 3:50 pm

Good luck and hope you are very happy in your new home!

Brit3964 Feb 15th 2012 4:32 pm

SC will be warmer than IN for sure. Enjoy that 95 degree heat ;)

SarahG Feb 15th 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 9903813)
SC will be warmer than IN for sure. Enjoy that 95 degree heat ;)

My OH keeps comparing the temps in Central Indy to Mt Pleasant. It snowed yesterday and he was not a happy camper. It is all gone today but he has said he is looking forward to being near a beach. The fact that we will be closer to a beach and have better weather than Indy has encouraged my father in law to get over his fear of flying and make the flight over the Atlantic. His longest flight to date has been Luton to the Algarve!

Bob Feb 15th 2012 6:07 pm

Good luck!

lisa67 Feb 15th 2012 6:47 pm

Oh I hate moving house and packing. I find copious amounts of alcohol makes the process go by so much smoother ;)
Good Luck :)

nethead Feb 15th 2012 7:06 pm

I hate moving too, it seems like no matter how much you've packed, you're still left with a load of stuff to pack in the last couple of days. We moved from PA to VT in November and it's such an upheaval. But moving to a new place is exciting too, I like getting to see new places etc, moving from one state to another is like moving to another country and having to learn ways of doing things all over again. I hope you enjoy your time in SC and the move goes relatively smoothly :)

rebs Feb 15th 2012 7:58 pm

Good luck with the move, Sarah :)
The trip sounds like the sort of thing that's a bit daunting to think about, but that you might look back on as being a terrific adventure!

Sue Feb 19th 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9903521)
Thanks. I hope it proves to be as pleasant a place to live as Carmel has been for us. :fingerscrossed:

I don't live that way, but have visited quite a few times, it's one of my fav places and I'm sure you will be very happy there.

Best of luck with the move.

Orangepants Feb 20th 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Sarah,

We did the trip Indy - SC twice last year - Jan 1 to move there and then June 30th to get the hell outta there - both times with OH in the removal truck towing my SUV and me driving an F150 with a large boxer in the cab! Fun times!
The drive south was better as we didn't go through so much of the mountains in WV - took us about 10 hours to just south of Charlotte. You see some stunning scenery though that we missed on the way up because of the winter weather. Good luck and enjoy SC.

Englishtart Feb 21st 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Sarah:)

You will love it in Mt.P, we lived there for our first year in SC, wonderful schools there, especially Wando HS.

Yes, the weather will definitely be 'warmer'! I am in Canada until April 16th, and it is a little chilly here to say the least! Once it gets to April the weather in Sc usually starts it's rapid rise to Summer heat/humidity, that's not my favorite time of year in SC, I am a 'humidity hater'! But if you can stand it you will love it:)

Would be great to get together after you have settled in, where will your OH be working? Jay worked in N.Charleston and it was a 40 minute commute both ways, much easier than people going towards Summerville though, that Dorchester road in rush hour can be a bugger!

Good luck with your move hun, it's not fun moving yourself however far you are going! We moved from Mt.P in June last year to N. Chas. and that was a PITA!

Our next move will be into a 40ft DP motorhome sometime later this year:) Can you imagine having to de-clutter a houseful of 'stuff' down to a few boxes:eek: I am looking forward to it though, it has been our dream to be fulltimers in a MH and visit more of this beautiful Country:)

Just Pm me if you need any info on SC or just want to rant about the move;)

huggies Kim x

SarahG Feb 21st 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart2 (Post 9913331)
Hi Sarah:)

You will love it in Mt.P, we lived there for our first year in SC, wonderful schools there, especially Wando HS.

Yes, the weather will definitely be 'warmer'! I am in Canada until April 16th, and it is a little chilly here to say the least! Once it gets to April the weather in Sc usually starts it's rapid rise to Summer heat/humidity, that's not my favorite time of year in SC, I am a 'humidity hater'! But if you can stand it you will love it:)

Would be great to get together after you have settled in, where will your OH be working? Jay worked in N.Charleston and it was a 40 minute commute both ways, much easier than people going towards Summerville though, that Dorchester road in rush hour can be a bugger!

Good luck with your move hun, it's not fun moving yourself however far you are going! We moved from Mt.P in June last year to N. Chas. and that was a PITA!

Our next move will be into a 40ft DP motorhome sometime later this year:) Can you imagine having to de-clutter a houseful of 'stuff' down to a few boxes:eek: I am looking forward to it though, it has been our dream to be fulltimers in a MH and visit more of this beautiful Country:)

Just Pm me if you need any info on SC or just want to rant about the move;)

huggies Kim x

Thanks. Will definitely take you up on that. OH will be working for Blackbaud so will be commuting to Daniel Island every day. We spent all weekend packing and have a few bits and pieces to do over the rest of the week. Sorted out cable guy to come and connect internet etc next week and I have a fun trip to SSA and then DMV to look forward to as I need to get a letter saying I'm not eligible for a SSN before I can get a new licence. Got to register kids with school and generally find my bearings. We won't be far from Mt Pleasant Town Center so I may find myself browsing the shops there during the week.
Brother in law is coming over to the US to see some of his friends and said he wanted to come visit us. We told him NOT next week as we will have just moved and will still be settleing in. He seems to have ignored that fact and has decided he will be arriving next Monday and staying WITH us! :frown:
I don't want to be rude but I want to be able to sort out my new house myself without someone getting under my feet and annoying me and trying to do stuff for me that I don't want them to do. (He does that a lot)
Trying to not get too stressed about moving but this is not helping. Any good bars in MP you could recommend?!