British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to SC...need help/tips (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-sc-need-help-tips-771855/)

DaniMoose Sep 17th 2012 1:49 pm

Moving to SC...need help/tips

HIya... we are planning to move to South carolina in the Clemson/Anderson area with my husbands company transfer, in which we will be looking to become citizens eventually.
We have a little 1 year old boy and would LOVE to hear a few hints/tips like where are the best areas to live, places to avoid etc...

I also keep reading that some people are being ousted because they are not church goers?! i hope this is not true :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated

Guindalf Sep 17th 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Moving to SC...need help/tips

We live about 30 miles from Seneca, which is just south of Clemson. We're actually in Georgia.

Seneca seems to be a nice size. Not as big as Anderson and away from the college hubbub in Clemson. Anderson would be your main shopping location for things other than food and essentials. We used to go there from Toccoa, GA, as there's nothing here! We've moved to the other side of the city and Gainesville, GA is easier for us now.

I don't know the area up there well enough to tell you where to avoid and we don't have kids, so can't help there, either.

As for the church thing. You're in the deep South, so one of the first questions you will get from anyone is "Where do you go to church?" If you respond that you are undecided, you will get an invite, guaranteed! The best response is to say that you're going somewhere out of town and that MAY get you a reprieve. ;) Whatever you do, DON'T tell anyone that you don't go to church!

I have not heard of anyone specifically being ousted, but it's definitely frowned upon. Obviously, bigger cities are better than small towns from the religious point of view, so if this is a major concern, maybe Anderson is better for you as there are more people to hide behind ;).

civilservant Sep 17th 2012 3:43 pm

My wife (OptomisticGirl on here) is from Anderson, perhaps give her a PM. We're now just over the other side of the border in GA.

For what it's worth I am a non-believer, and I have been asked many times already (while visiting) if I am religious. There is a palpable sense of surprise when I say I am not.

Orangepants Sep 17th 2012 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaniMoose (Post 10285147)
HIya... we are planning to move to South carolina in the Clemson/Anderson area with my husbands company transfer, in which we will be looking to become citizens eventually.
We have a little 1 year old boy and would LOVE to hear a few hints/tips like where are the best areas to live, places to avoid etc...

I also keep reading that some people are being ousted because they are not church goers?! i hope this is not true :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated

I have only been to Greenville which is lovely place which is near Anderson. I find people pretty religious here but it is pretty shallow in my experience - they are fair weather spiritual - it is a business and social gathering group rather than real believers but they do try and make you feel like there is something wrong with you but just ignore it and dont get into conversation about it. You wouldn't really want to be friendly with those who are so easily brainwashed and judgemental?

DaniMoose Sep 17th 2012 4:35 pm

lol...so i can keep going with the whole baby brain scenario whooop!

but otherwise....i know sc has a lower cost of living, but what is the reality?
We have a mate that is living there already (a bit of a joker) who is in a senior role earning around 100k who says he doesn't really have much expendable money month after month. I find this hard to believe as they are only a 2 person household.

hubby is transferring through his company, in which i will have a working visa but will start working when the kids start kindergarten most probably

Sheepdip Sep 17th 2012 4:40 pm

Hey y'all!

We're in Lexington so can't offer any living advice on the local Clemson area (apart from the fact that you'd be better off being a Gamecock than a Tiger :D ). It is a lovely area though.

Don't worry too much about the religion thing. It is pretty heavy but most accept that you are or you aren't (at least that's how we've found it). The ones that don't you can do without anyway!

I can't believe that about your mate on $100k unless he doesn't have good company health cover etc (the usual stuff you here about living in the US). In comparison to other states, it is pretty cheap here.

Welcome to SC!

Guindalf Sep 17th 2012 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10285316)
My wife (OptomisticGirl on here) is from Anderson, perhaps give her a PM. We're now just over the other side of the border in GA.

For what it's worth I am a non-believer, and I have been asked many times already (while visiting) if I am religious. There is a palpable sense of surprise when I say I am not.

You must be close to me - outskirts of Toccoa?

civilservant Sep 17th 2012 5:12 pm

Short memory Guindalf - didn't we have a PM conversation not a couple of months back? :p

Magpie1 Sep 17th 2012 5:26 pm

Welcome to upstate South Carolina. I live in Anderson County although a lot closer to Greenville than Anderson and Clemson.

Regarding the cost of living me and my wife live on about half of your friend and do ok although no kids. I have been here about 22 years wife is from the area.

The religious thing can get on your nerves a bit but i just ignore it as some one else said most only go as theirs not much else to do around here.

Things you will notice nearly everyone wears orange (not me). You would think the Dutch national football team were in town, thats real football and not the american version.

By the way our house is for sale if your interested about 20 miles from Clemson.

DaniMoose Sep 17th 2012 5:45 pm

ooo well thats alot better than i have been reading elsewhere so thank you for putting my mind at rest....

got a linky to the house?

Hubby will be working around west union but we are looking anywhere upto Anderson at the moment...in the hope we will be there around xmas time but will know more tomorrow.

Am i right in thinking that renting a house will be best until we find a house? and how long for would be recommended?

sorry if i am asking too many questions, we have soo many :S

Guindalf Sep 17th 2012 6:51 pm

Civ - you're right - short memory! Check you PMs

Looks like we have the makings of a meetup at the Wild Wing Cafe or Fatz in Anderson, people!!!!!

:D

Bob Sep 17th 2012 7:06 pm

Welcome to BE and goodluck with the move!

city-data.com and greatschools.org are good resources to check out as well to get an idea about areas.

Orangepants Sep 17th 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by DaniMoose (Post 10285382)
lol...so i can keep going with the whole baby brain scenario whooop!

but otherwise....i know sc has a lower cost of living, but what is the reality?
We have a mate that is living there already (a bit of a joker) who is in a senior role earning around 100k who says he doesn't really have much expendable money month after month. I find this hard to believe as they are only a 2 person household.

hubby is transferring through his company, in which i will have a working visa but will start working when the kids start kindergarten most probably

Yes you should definitely rent for a year to see whether you like it, whether you like the area.
Cost of living - really depends on HOW you live. I used to live in Cayman where I couldn't imagine earning less than $80 k tax free (as a single person) but many people I knew there lived on half of that.. it is the same here in the US. It depends if you are frugal and budget or like to spend money like me!:lol: But it is more expensive generally here in the US than you would think with all the taxes and health deductibles etc.

sunnysideup Sep 18th 2012 2:26 am

[QUOTE=DaniMoose;10285147]I also keep reading that some people are being ousted because they are not church goers?!/QUOTE]

If you want a laugh, tell them you're CofE. Most of them have no idea what that is and they end up thinking it's some kind of cult. Then you have to explain that's why we have the part in the constitution about seperation of church and state, because in the CofE the monarch is head of state, head of government and head of church. Many in the South seem not to have any idea about that crucial part of US history.