Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sarasota Florida

Moving to Sarasota Florida

Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

BritMum1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sarasota Florida

Hi, my husband, 3 yr old son and I are moving to Florida in June/July. We will be moving to the Lakewood Ranch area. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend pre-schools for my son. He currently attends a nursery 3 full days a week and I don't want him taking too long a break between moves. Do the pre-schools run throughout the year or break for holidays? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:54 am
Just Joined

RCMUM21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Sarasota Florida

No really advise other than we are looking to move to the same area Sarasota/Bradenton area as well. You can find all year round nurseries/preschools, I would recommend visiting the ones in the area to see which is the best fit for you and your child.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Daycare-preschools typically run five days a week 52 weeks of the year, less major public holidays (1/1, Memorial Day (spring bank), 4th July, Labor day (1 wk after August BH), Thanksgiving, and Christmas). Many of them are franchise outfits, (such as Bright Horizons and Kids R Kids) and can be extremely well equipped, which goes a good way to explaining the cost. I would guess you'll be charged about what we paid a few states further north. My daughter is now in her fifth year of school (4th grade), and by the time she finished five years ago we we paying almost $1,000/mth, which today will probably be pushing $1,200. The cost in larger cities is two to three times as much!

As with any franchise business, each location will vary a little in how it is managed, so you will probably need to visit several to take a look and speak with the manager. Even different locations under the same brand can vary.

I am not sure how the state might regulate and inspect day cares in Florida, but in NC they are rated on a five star scale, which includes the range of services and staff-child ratio, and five star facilities are extremely good.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 15th 2017 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Woodland Early Childhood Center, it's a Church run establishment so does depend upon your attitude towards Christians but they are very nice and not the Westboro racist basta*d type of 'Christians'!
It's just down the road from Lakewood Ranch (once part of the largest cattle ranch in Florida, Schroeder Manatee ranch, which my wife spent much of her childhood roaming on horseback!!), on SR70 so reasonably close.

Good daycare nurseries in this area tend to have a bit of a waiting list so it's something you want to start the ball rolling on ASAP.