Reload this Page >

Moving to San Jose, California

Wikiposts

Moving to San Jose, California

Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

RockBank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to San Jose, California

What a great forum. Thanks for setting it up.

I'm moving with wife and two boys next month(aged 2 1/2 and 10 months) to San Jose California.

The package seems generous. Earning considerably more than the UK plus a housing allowance. 75% of healthcare costs paid. 2 return flights each year to UK. The housing allowance probably won't cover all the rent but we have budgeted that in.

Biggest problems reading here would be;

Also my wife is a registered nurse in the UK but currently isn't envisaging working in the USA but I do want to make sure she doesn't go stir crazy so will need to sort out a car (they're giving us an interest free loan) asap. We'de be looking at a decent people carrier, e.g. Chrysler Voyager, with plenty of room for us four plus any friends or relatives come over. I know the insurance is expensive but isn't this offset, to some extent, by the cheap petrol?

Obviously the best thing for her would be to make some new friends with local parent groups or something.

I haven't checked through the forum fully but hope to in due course, but any tips/advice welcome.

We aren't, at present, planning on renting out our UK house as we still plan to educate the boys in the UK. Our youngest will be starting reception late next year but we may change our minds whilst in CA.

RB
              Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:29 am
              Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
              Default Re: Moving to San Jose, California

Originally Posted by RockBank
              What a great forum. Thanks for setting it up.

I'm moving with wife and two boys next month(aged 2 1/2 and 10 months) to San Jose California.

The package seems generous. Earning considerably more than the UK plus a housing allowance. 75% of healthcare costs paid. 2 return flights each year to UK. The housing allowance probably won't cover all the rent but we have budgeted that in.

Biggest problems reading here would be;

Also my wife is a registered nurse in the UK but currently isn't envisaging working in the USA but I do want to make sure she doesn't go stir crazy so will need to sort out a car (they're giving us an interest free loan) asap. We'de be looking at a decent people carrier, e.g. Chrysler Voyager, with plenty of room for us four plus any friends or relatives come over. I know the insurance is expensive but isn't this offset, to some extent, by the cheap petrol?

Obviously the best thing for her would be to make some new friends with local parent groups or something.

I haven't checked through the forum fully but hope to in due course, but any tips/advice welcome.

We aren't, at present, planning on renting out our UK house as we still plan to educate the boys in the UK. Our youngest will be starting reception late next year but we may change our minds whilst in CA.

RB
                          Welcome to British Expats! Many of us are very familiar with the issues surrounding relocation and settling into life in the USA.

Don't take this the wrong way but most of your questions have been answered courtesy of this very forum.

Plus, the HR dept. at your employers maybe able to give you some advice/pointers about recertification for engineering in the US.

Alternatively, it shouldn't take long to find the professional body for your speciality if you do a search on the web.

There's quite a number of British Expat members living in CA. I hope some of them will contribute to your thread, especially regarding the kids.
                          Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:48 am
                          Just Joined

RockBank is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that NC.

We've been told good places to live in San Jose, if you aren't too fussed about the schools at present, are Campbell, Willow Glen and Santa Clara.

We currently live in a largish village in the UK so would also prefer somewhere with easy access to countryside and the sea. I know we'll find out a lot when we've got our feet on the ground, so to speak, but any useful pointers for starting out will be useful.
                          Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:35 am
                          looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
                          Be prepared for much higher rent than you expected - it's very expensive for anything decent. Willow Glen is the pricey area of San Jose but there are cheaper areas which are just as nice. Santa Clara has a newish development called 'Rivermark'. There are some lovely houses there but they have no back yard and that is one thing you will be surprised about when you look around anywhere around here - tiny gardens. Everyone uses the parks.
                          Get a 'McCormacks' guide book of Santa Clara county. It will tell you lots and lots about the area including neighbourhood profiles.
                          Your wife will need to do the NCLEX if she wants to work. Most areas have a 'mothers club' which you join to meet other mums and you get as much or as little as you want from it. They assign you to a playgroup which meets at the same time every week in each others houses.
                          You will need to get your children immunised against Hepatitis B and Varicella (chickenpox) if they are going to go to a preschool.
                          Ummmmmmm, just thinking if there is anything else...... Can't think at the moment but good luck!
                          Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:25 am
                          Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Hi RockBank - welcome!

We moved to sunny CA just over a year ago - hopefully our experience can help you...

We're living in an area of San Jose known as 'Cambrian Park' - it's between Los Gatos and Campbell. It's a nice neighbourhood - and has its own school district, which has a better rep than San Jose Unified.

We pay $2250 a month for a very ordinary 3 bedroom ranch style house. You'll pay more in Willow Glen and Los Gatos - they both have an old-style 'Main Street' and there is a premium for being within range of them. Similar houses go for about $700,000 to buy. There is a trade-off (as ever) between price, location, commute - all that stuff. We're considering moving to Santa Teresa next year (where 85 meets 101 at the South edge of San Jose) as our $$$ will go much further than in Cambrian/Willow Glen area. The downside would be that my commute would go from 13 miles to 18 - a significant difference in Bay Area traffic!

If it is at all possible, get your employer to contract with AIG for expat services. I got this - I think the cost to the employer is about $400. Basically, you get a real credit card (HSBC), car insurance (they take your UK record into account) and mobile phone without all the crap that the banks/insurers/telcos usually give new arrivals.

We have two boys - Tom is 3 soon and Alex is nearly 5 months. We know quite a few other families through kids' activities. Gymboree do gym and Music classes at the local malls, but we recently switched to MyGym for gym classes.

PM me with your email address if you like - it would be good to know another Brit family in the area.

Cheers,

Pat
                          Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:19 pm
                          Just Joined

miffy_palmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello RockBank and Pat,
                          Me and my 11 month-old son have recently moved into San Jose to join my husband who works here. I was a registered nurse specialized in psychiatry working in Yorkshire, and have been missing england and my work so much. It was such a pleasant surprise when my husband found this online forum and, in particular this message about brit families in san jose.
                          I would love to be in touch and find out all about other english people in the bay area. The situation I am in with the nursing etc seems so similar to Rockbank's. Would love to hear from you both. Feel free to PM me.

Kind regards,
                          Sarah

Originally Posted by superpat
                          Hi RockBank - welcome!

We moved to sunny CA just over a year ago - hopefully our experience can help you...

We're living in an area of San Jose known as 'Cambrian Park' - it's between Los Gatos and Campbell. It's a nice neighbourhood - and has its own school district, which has a better rep than San Jose Unified.

We pay $2250 a month for a very ordinary 3 bedroom ranch style house. You'll pay more in Willow Glen and Los Gatos - they both have an old-style 'Main Street' and there is a premium for being within range of them. Similar houses go for about $700,000 to buy. There is a trade-off (as ever) between price, location, commute - all that stuff. We're considering moving to Santa Teresa next year (where 85 meets 101 at the South edge of San Jose) as our $$$ will go much further than in Cambrian/Willow Glen area. The downside would be that my commute would go from 13 miles to 18 - a significant difference in Bay Area traffic!

If it is at all possible, get your employer to contract with AIG for expat services. I got this - I think the cost to the employer is about $400. Basically, you get a real credit card (HSBC), car insurance (they take your UK record into account) and mobile phone without all the crap that the banks/insurers/telcos usually give new arrivals.

We have two boys - Tom is 3 soon and Alex is nearly 5 months. We know quite a few other families through kids' activities. Gymboree do gym and Music classes at the local malls, but we recently switched to MyGym for gym classes.

PM me with your email address if you like - it would be good to know another Brit family in the area.

Cheers,

Pat
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:03 am
                          my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Er, Ray, the OP moved over in Jan this year, I guess he's probably already got all that sorted by now....
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:05 am
                          Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
                          Er, Ray, the OP moved over in Jan this year, I guess he's probably already got all that sorted by now....
                          The bloody newbies digging up old post ..really pisses me off
                          miffy_palmer... you are a pratt............
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:37 am
                          Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miffy_palmer
                          Hello RockBank and Pat,
                          Me and my 11 month-old son have recently moved into San Jose ..........

Kind regards,
                          Sarah

Hi there!

You replied to an ancient thread. The OP doesn't seem to be an active member of this board.

Join us on some of the active threads. You could even vote in the poll for most irritating member (just as long as you don't vote for me of course).

Anyway, welcome to the BE Madhouse

(Oh, and ignore Ray. He's senile )
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:48 am
                          Goldina

Goldina is an unknown quantity at this point
                          Smile Re: Moving to San Jose, California

I have lived in san Jose for 21 years. Can't tell you much about housing and mortgages or banking and such as I did all that all those years ago!

However, I can give you info. on a Mothers group I joined when my now teenagers were babies.

There is a whole network of mothers and childrens playgroups all over the SF Bay Area called Las Madres Neighborhood Playgroups. You will be able to find local chapters as simply as dialing 411 / phone information or you can find them on any search engine.

You will meet many parents and most probably quite a few British and European expats as well. I have made lasting friends to this day from joining that group. Discovered places, museums and parks, etc. that I didn't know existed.

I live in the Santa Teresa neighborhood of San Jose. It has become a very desireable place to live in recent years because the price of housing in slightly less than other areas around here.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by Goldina; Dec 23rd 2005 at 2:51 am.
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:50 am
                          Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldina
                          I have lived in san Jose for 21 years. ...........
                          Good luck with your move!

You guys might want to start a new thread!
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:58 am
                          Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldina
                          I have lived in san Jose for 21 years. Can't tell you much about housing and mortgages or banking and such as I did all that all those years ago!
                          FFS... are all the nutters joining this week.....
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:08 am
                          Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray

Be nice - it's Christmas!
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:27 am
                          Just Joined

miffy_palmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
                          The bloody newbies digging up old post ..really pisses me off
                          miffy_palmer... you are a pratt............
                          Dear Ray,
                          Thank you for your kind words. I did not realize such nice English people would welcome me to the USA. Merry christmas.
                          sarah
                          Old Dec 23rd 2005, 10:43 am
                          Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
                          I joined fours yeas ago thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.