Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Francisco without a job

Moving to San Francisco without a job

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Francisco without a job

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
Along with Monster.com, don't forget dice.com as well. Great for IT jobs.
guru.com ain't to bad either, though for short term stuff.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:35 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
guru.com ain't to bad either, though for short term stuff.
Hmm... anyone know any sites for publishing jobs then?? I've only found mediabistro.com and have been attempting to collect contacts.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
Hmm... anyone know any sites for publishing jobs then?? I've only found mediabistro.com and have been attempting to collect contacts.
best bet might be the usual monster and career builder?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:26 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
best bet might be the usual monster and career builder?
I've tried them but it never seems to come to anything. But thank you anyway!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

tonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to alltonyoci is a name known to all

I only read the first page but here goes.

I'm a Brit who now lives in the US. I live in San Jose south of San Fran. Google and most of the "silicon valley" jobs are actually south of San Fran.

Google posts tons of jobs and I don't think it's that hard to get a job there if you're qualified. There are many other well known places such as eBay, Paypal and many many small Web 2.0 and other similar companies. If you have the skills you will have no problem finding a job.

Truth is that as a 40yo family man there are times when I'd love to be single and living in San Fran. If you are outgoing enough and willing to join things in your interest area you will have no problems there are so many relocaters and single people out here.

Good luck and please contact me if you have anything you want me to answer.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

georgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud of

Hey, thanks again to everyone who is posting here. I am feeling much more confident about my move thanks to all you. Especially liking your comment Tonyoci. Glad I am getting to be single and 24 and moving there! Can't wait.
I will check out all these websites and try to line up some interviews before I leave. So excited, but got 2 months to go until I move. I am hoping to get on the Oct 1st apartments by arriving 27th September.

Is there anything else I can do from here, as I really don't feel like working during my last 4 weeks in the office! ;-)
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=georgio;5133521]Hi,

This is my first post on here.

Just wondering if any of you can offer some advice / information / opinions on my situation.

I'm 24, a dual US/UK citizen, but I've lived in London since I was 7. I have a degree from UCL and have been working for 3 years for a large American firm in London. I've wanted to live & work in the US since I started, but my company are now saying they won't move me for a few more years

Georgio, your 24 yrs old, now's has good a time as any to take a chance. Don't wait until you are older, it gets tougher to take chances, the older you get.
Have the time of your life, go for it.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgio
Hey, thanks again to everyone who is posting here. I am feeling much more confident about my move thanks to all you. Especially liking your comment Tonyoci. Glad I am getting to be single and 24 and moving there! Can't wait.
I will check out all these websites and try to line up some interviews before I leave. So excited, but got 2 months to go until I move. I am hoping to get on the Oct 1st apartments by arriving 27th September.

Is there anything else I can do from here, as I really don't feel like working during my last 4 weeks in the office! ;-)
Another thing you might try is a company web site, they often advertise jobs.
I've never tried this but take look anyway. most companies have an employment page.

http://www.google.com/support/jobs/b...54&loc_id=1116
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

georgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud of

I bought my flight finally and I've agreed to let my flat out too.

Sept 27th I'm going to be arriving... with whatever I can bring on the plane. Definitely feeling a little nervous now as I have approximately 2 friends in California at the moment and no job and nowhere to live.

Current plan is to buy a laptop and a cellphone on the first day, find some place with free wifi and try to arrange some viewings with some craigslist apartments. I guess I'll book a hotel for the first few nights? Can't believe I'm actually doing this...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sept 27th I'm going to be arriving... with whatever I can bring on the plane. Definitely feeling a little nervous now as I have approximately 2 friends in California at the moment and no job and nowhere to live.

Current plan is to buy a laptop and a cellphone on the first day, find some place with free wifi and try to arrange some viewings with some craigslist apartments. I guess I'll book a hotel for the first few nights? Can't believe I'm actually doing this...
Congratulations on the start of your adventure.

My advice is to buy a Skype In phone number ($30 a year) in the 415- area code. Set up skype on your computer in the UK and start printing out resumes in the UK with your phone number and email address (I know you don't have a home address, but nothing is worse than having to sit in a Kinkos printing resumes at .50ยข a page or whatever). Get your resume out via email and what not as early as the first week in September (Sept 3 in the US is a holiday, btw). You can get some phone calls back and whatnot and start to arrange interviews for the end of the month.

Really hit the ground running.

Once you get your mobile phone (it will probably be a pay as you go version as you likely don't have a US credit rating) then you should forward your Skype calls to that number (easy to do--put about $10 in Skype Out credit on the account and it will forward for a few pence each call).

You're going to arrive at an 'off' period for housing--most rents are 'first of the month' so the property available at the end of Sept. is the stuff that didn't get rented during the month of Sept. Most of the other stuff you will see is going to be Oct. 1st or so.

If you are planning on > 1 week in SFO hotels, then consider renting a temp apartment. They are expensive vs. a real apartment, but usually cheaper than a hotel for long stays. Check craiglist 'short term' section as sometimes people go away for a month and need a house sitter.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sub/

You're going to hit the ground running, buying this, buying that, call these people, calling that. You are going to hit a slump though--there will be a point in a week or two when the phone doesn't ring, your bank account is going down, and you start to question if this was such a great idea. Don't let that get you down. It happens to everyone. Few and far between are the people hired 'right on the spot'. It can take weeks or months sometimes, which is why it is all the better to start getting your name out before you even land on US soil.

Good luck.

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 25th 2007 at 1:24 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably take your UK laptop with you if you already have one. Mine works on US voltage, you just need an adaptor for the plug.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Craigslist is good as mentioned but I used to use www.roommates.com it lets you see peoples home's and will let you get a bit of knowledge into who they are etc.

As for the job front I work all over the west coast and I can tell you now that you will have no worries in the slightest getting a job in San Fran, the money you may have to take a drop to start with you may not! time will tell my british buddy got his job through the officeteam he is in Marketing and lives in San Fran and on 85k plus a year, I was there on business 3 weeks ago and live in California so from my general meetings with the folk I was with, it appears that there is a lack of skilled workers in the bay area, I am sure you will be fine
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

All of you are brilliant. Thanks so much for the help.

I bought the Skype In # - that's genius. I tested it and it works fine. I am nervous and conscious that I will hit this slump in a bit. I hope someone will pay me money to do some sort of work Because I won't be able to get by for more than about 8 weeks without any job. Your comments are encouraging me though.

I don't have a laptop, I am getting rid of my old beast of a desktop here and then it'll be easier (and cheaper) to get one with a US plug etc when I get there.

I'll check out this roommates site too, thanks!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

snath is an unknown quantity at this point

All of you are brilliant. Thanks so much for the help.

I bought the Skype In # - that's genius. I tested it and it works fine. I am nervous and conscious that I will hit this slump in a bit. I hope someone will pay me money to do some sort of work Because I won't be able to get by for more than about 8 weeks without any job. Your comments are encouraging me though.

I don't have a laptop, I am getting rid of my old beast of a desktop here and then it'll be easier (and cheaper) to get one with a US plug etc when I get there.

I'll check out this roommates site too, thanks!
Hey Georgio,
Good on you for taking the gamble. I am also heading down to San Francisco at the end of the month (visa permitting) - fortunately with a job. I was also a bit concerned about finding a place to live but have been keeping an eye on craigslist for the past few weeks and there seems to be plenty around. Give me a shout if you fancy a cold beer sometime.

...Great tip on the Skype phone whoever suggested that - I'm going to do the same - Thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snath
...Great tip on the Skype phone whoever suggested that - I'm going to do the same - Thanks.
The other thing to consider is picking up a London number for Skype so your friends can keep in touch as a 'local call' instead of having to call you in the US long distance. I have Skype in #s in my parent's hometown, my sister's, London and Hong Kong. I also have it set to forward to my mobile when I'm away from the computer so it's really just like having a 'world number'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.