Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Francisco from the UK

Moving to San Francisco from the UK

Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

mattsaundersmcp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to San Francisco from the UK

Hi their I am looking at moving to San Francisco form the UK in August of this year but I have a few questions

In the UK I work in IT as Support Administrator and would like to do this in San Fran. To move over the San Francisco can I get a travel visa then look for a job or do I have to have a work visa?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Francisco from the UK

Originally Posted by mattsaundersmcp View Post
Hi their I am looking at moving to San Francisco form the UK in August of this year but I have a few questions

In the UK I work in IT as Support Administrator and would like to do this in San Fran. To move over the San Francisco can I get a travel visa then look for a job or do I have to have a work visa?
You need a work visa if you are not a citizen or LPR ('green card' holder). Have a read of this to see which visa (if any) you may qualify for, and then you can come back and ask specific questions about it. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Bear in mind that the US is notorious as one of the hardest countries to immigrate to, so you might want to have a 'Plan B'.

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...and based on what you've told us so far, Plan B should definitely involve working in a country other than the US.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

mattsaundersmcp is an unknown quantity at this point

My plan B would be canada is this easier to get into?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My plan B would be canada is this easier to get into?
Easier, but certainly not easy for IT professionals at the moment as they are not an occupation in demand - have a look in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) to understand the visa requirements for Canada.

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

IT Support means something to me, but that might be a misunderstanding of what you do.

Every IT person I have met has gone through a L (moved over by their UK Employer) or a H1b (I would be hard pushed to think of one that was not Indian)

If you are looking at a H1b be aware of the qualification requirements for both you and the job.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The thing to understand is that it is the employer that applies for the work visa, NOT you.

So you have to find a job with an employer who is prepared to go through the time and expense to get you a work visa.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:35 am
Just Joined

angelicstar is an unknown quantity at this point

You must have a work visa as not allowed to apply for jobs on a travel one. Employers want to know you already have a right to work. Only way to really get in is if you find an employer willing to take the time, effort and money to apply for a visa for you and this isn't easy. It could take you years as I've met Brits who it took 3-5 years to obtain one.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:46 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelicstar View Post
You must have a work visa as not allowed to apply for jobs on a travel one. Employers want to know you already have a right to work. Only way to really get in is if you find an employer willing to take the time, effort and money to apply for a visa for you and this isn't easy. It could take you years as I've met Brits who it took 3-5 years to obtain one.
You do not need a visa to apply for a job
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you're really just shooting at the moon aren't you.