Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Francisco

Moving to San Francisco

Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Lakey83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to San Francisco

My family and I are moving to San Francisco, looking to live in the Peninsula. My husband will be at work so I'm looking for things to do, places to go, people to meet. I have a 19 month old son so love to keep busy (and drink coffee)!

Does anyone have any recommendations for classes, groups, parks?

We move over on 19th Feb and I have 2 days with hubby then my son and I are on our own
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:27 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Francisco

Originally Posted by Lakey83
My family and I are moving to San Francisco, looking to live in the Peninsula. My husband will be at work so I'm looking for things to do, places to go, people to meet. I have a 19 month old son so love to keep busy (and drink coffee)!

Does anyone have any recommendations for classes, groups, parks?

We move over on 19th Feb and I have 2 days with hubby then my son and I are on our own
The Peninsula it is a wonderful part of the world to live.

Check out meetup.com, the local library, local YMCA, there are lots of things to do for stay at home mums.

Where are you moving to? We are in Mountain View, let me know if you have any questions and i'll try help you out.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! Funny they are obvious places to look but never entered my mind.

We are looking at redwood shores, foster city... Anywhere close to my husbands office which is redwood shores.. We will be in serviced accommodation for a month whilst we look.

I'm excited but my son has jus begun really playing with his friends so want to get him a new social scene asap, without that I fear it will be a struggle.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakey83
Thank you! Funny they are obvious places to look but never entered my mind.

We are looking at redwood shores, foster city... Anywhere close to my husbands office which is redwood shores.. We will be in serviced accommodation for a month whilst we look.

I'm excited but my son has jus begun really playing with his friends so want to get him a new social scene asap, without that I fear it will be a struggle.
There are plenty of nice places within an easy commute of Redwood Shores, it's good that you'll be in accommodation for a month it will give you a good chance to look around.

There is a great free magazine called Bay Area Kids, it's on all the racks as you leave the supermarkets, library, cinema... That tells you events and activites that are going on.

I think not working and having a young kid is a great time to move over, you'll both meet lots of people in no time. You can't even go to the local park without getting talking to someone.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:33 am
Just Joined

ellendarvell is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved last year with 2 year old twins to Oakland. I've been here 4 months and just starting to find things to do with the twins. Check out meet up. In Oakland there is a group called Oakland Moms. They are nationwide so check out whether there is one local to you. I am sure there it is. It costs $30 a year to join but they have lots of things to do as a Stay At Home mom. I was given a list of things to do on the Penninsula by someone at my husbands work so I can try and find that for you
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Hi, that would be great thank you. We've not been to our classes here due to move and my son is getting more and more bored!
How are you finding oakland area?

We fly on Sunday as soon as we land I'll be in meet up :-)
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

ellendarvell is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.u-meplace.com/Visit/ - this place is in Menlo Park

http://www.pumpitupparty.com/ - i think this place will be Nationwide

We are just starting to settle into Oakland. It is a lovely area and there are great views of the bay. There seems to be alot of people with kids over here and when I go to the park get to meet some people. Alot of families seem to have moved over here from San Francisco for bringing up their children. I am not sure how long we will stay in Oakland as the Middle and High Schools don't have a good reputation.

Have you definately planning on staying on the Penninsula or have you thought about the East Bay? If you want to check the East Bay out let me know and I can advise the best places to look that your husband would be able to commute to the Penninsula (lots of people do it)