Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Francisco

Moving to San Francisco

Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to San Francisco

It seesm it is an E2 visa he is applying for - which i guess from what ive just read isnt good
Just reading through the paperwork he has been sent from the lawyers, but it doesnt seem to say which E2 visa.
Also the email says they will file the petition once we have filled in the paperwork and the fee attached is $5000, is this normal? Also once the petition is filed, surely there is a fee to pay to the US embassy too.
Just want to make sure we arent being scammed by the lawyers if there is an easier way to apply.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
It seesm it is an E2 visa he is applying for - which i guess from what ive just read isnt good
Just reading through the paperwork he has been sent from the lawyers, but it doesnt seem to say which E2 visa.
Also the email says they will file the petition once we have filled in the paperwork and the fee attached is $5000, is this normal? Also once the petition is filed, surely there is a fee to pay to the US embassy too.
Just want to make sure we arent being scammed by the lawyers if there is an easier way to apply.
Hi:

You don't give enough in the way of facts. Your questions are just way too generalized in nature.

Also, your husband should not just say "I want an e-2 visa" -- it is like medicine -- you have to give entire facts and then get the diagnosis.

BTW, it is normal to pay an attorney a reasonable fee. Yes, it is normal to also pay the visa fees. "E" visas do not require a "visa petition" from USCIS. On the visa fees, it seems that the UK imposes a fee on Americans, so an additional $105.00 is charged to each individual UK national. I don't know if this is part of the visa application or the visa issuance fee.

BTW, why do you ask if there is a "scam?" You don't give enough details. Do you think the "lawyer" is not really a lawyer at all? That has happened within the United States.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Sorry for not being precise enough
My husband has spoken with his immigration lawyers in length about visa and they have told him the visa that he should apply for is an E2 visa.
My question was - i was unsure if the fee the lawyer is charging was over priced, i have no doubt about their status as lawyers, as it was the same lawyers who helped him set his US company up, and we have had no problems so far.
I was unsure if they were charging us extra money, when it is something we could have done ourselves for a lot less, but reading through the paperwork he has been sent it is very confusing so I think a lawyer is needed.
Unfortunately i wasnt on the phone call my husband was on, so he may have left out some details.
I am just wanting to make the whole process as smooth as possible for us, so thought if i had some advice from here it may help us avoid making silly mistakes that delay things - although hopefully that wont happen as we are using the lawyers.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Sorry for not being precise enough
My husband has spoken with his immigration lawyers in length about visa and they have told him the visa that he should apply for is an E2 visa.
My question was - i was unsure if the fee the lawyer is charging was over priced, i have no doubt about their status as lawyers, as it was the same lawyers who helped him set his US company up, and we have had no problems so far.
I was unsure if they were charging us extra money, when it is something we could have done ourselves for a lot less, but reading through the paperwork he has been sent it is very confusing so I think a lawyer is needed.
Unfortunately i wasnt on the phone call my husband was on, so he may have left out some details.
I am just wanting to make the whole process as smooth as possible for us, so thought if i had some advice from here it may help us avoid making silly mistakes that delay things - although hopefully that wont happen as we are using the lawyers.
Hi:

I don't know where the lawyer is and what the "going rate" in her area is. However, I saw nothing in your post to give rise to a belief that there is some overcharge somewhere. What besides the $5K and the visa fees are you talking about? You don't say.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think $5,000 for a lawyers fee in a visa submission is a bit high. I've seen lawyers in the US do more complicated submissions for as much as $2,000, but $5k seems a bit over the edge.

It could be $5k for the visa and the corporate work, maybe. Still a bit high.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think $5,000 for a lawyers fee in a visa submission is a bit high. I've seen lawyers in the US do more complicated submissions for as much as $2,000, but $5k seems a bit over the edge.

It could be $5k for the visa and the corporate work, maybe. Still a bit high.
Hi:

I don't do "E" work -- but $5K actually strikes me a tad on the low side. I've heard of "E" legal fees often being much higher. It is hard to put a general rule on it -- I don't like paying more than I have to, but a $2,000 fee would strike me as "cheap" while, say a, $25,000 fee would strike me as excessive.

Do note that under legal ethical rules, a fee cannot be "unreasonable" -- one which is so high it "shocks the conscience."

I know that I have had a "PC" [potential client] tell me from time to time, but so-and-so will do my case for 25% of what you are asking -- and I say "fine" "It is your choice on who you want to hire."
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Which kind of E2 should be obvious - is he going as a manager or are you investing a lot of money? The manager kind is the better one. The one where you invest all of your money is the one people don't like.
BTW if you have kids or plan to have them and want to stay in the US permanently the E2 investor visa is generally seen as not leading to a green card. So your children will have to leave when they turn 21 unless they can get their own visa to stay.
And if you are going as a manager rather than an investor then surely the company should be paying the fees?