British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving to San Francisco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-san-francisco-256897/)

rachel75 Sep 27th 2004 12:13 pm

moving to San Francisco

I will be moving from Frankfurt to San Fran next month. Can anyone recommend a good but cheap moving company. I will probably be needing only part of a container for household items.....
Also, anyone moving to the Frankfurt area in need of an apartment or furniture/household items (iron, kettle, TV etc etc - all those annoying little things that are not worth shipping and are not fun to have to buy when new in a city) should get in touch
RACHEL

veryfunny Sep 27th 2004 2:47 pm

Re: moving to San Francisco

DHL is the only company I will ever trust to moving. UPS and FEDEX both crap!

Originally Posted by rachel75
I will be moving from Frankfurt to San Fran next month. Can anyone recommend a good but cheap moving company. I will probably be needing only part of a container for household items.....
Also, anyone moving to the Frankfurt area in need of an apartment or furniture/household items (iron, kettle, TV etc etc - all those annoying little things that are not worth shipping and are not fun to have to buy when new in a city) should get in touch
RACHEL

Chopper-Chris Sep 27th 2004 4:03 pm

RACHEL

Top Tip: try not to call San Fransisco either 'San Fran' or (and especially) 'Frisco' both nicknames are hated by the majority of people who have grown up in the city and have especially nasty memories for me, mainly of a slimy, greasy, medallion wearing, all hairy chested (and top 3 buttons undone) travel agent in the Swindon area telling me that 'Frisco' is the place I really wanted to fly to, because 'Frisco' is just excellent...before he even questioned why my travel plans included New York he told me that NYC was shit and San Fransisco was excellent (on further questioning, it turned out he hadn't actually been to NYC)...then when I told him that I wanted a one way ticket, he refused to sell it to me, telling me that I would never get in the country if I didn't have a return ticket...he told me that he would then feel guilty and responsible for a wasted journey. I told him about 5 times that I had a valid H1B visa but he didn't understand (bless him) what I was talking about...moron...well, either that or he just wanted to sell me a more expensive (and completely pointless) ticket

whatever...he's still a moron.

Have a nice time in San Fransisco, it is a beautiful city, you won't want to leave.

Pimpbot Sep 27th 2004 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

Have a nice time in San Fransisco, it is a beautiful city, you won't want to leave.

Thats true. I'll be there saturday through monday this week for about my 15th visit.

vivsavage955 Sep 28th 2004 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
Top Tip: try not to call San Fransisco either 'San Fran' or (and especially) 'Frisco' both nicknames are hated by the majority of people who have grown up in the city

Excellent tip. But it's San Francisco, not San Fransisco.

And yes, we DETEST when people call it Frisco. Frisco is a town in Texas, I think. San Fran is also annoying, but at least mildly more tolerable than Frisco. ;)

bored-silly Sep 29th 2004 5:15 am

You actually in 'the city' then? Or outside it? SF is nice but the weather is crap. Nicer on the penninsula.

Chopper-Chris Sep 29th 2004 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by vivsavage955

oops...what an arese. :o

spooling wasnet ever my best subjekt in skool

rachel75 Oct 1st 2004 6:00 pm

Thank you for the tips. The only reason I used the abbreviated form of San Francisco was the confusing c´s and s´s on the keyboard problem that obviously is a problem for not just me! But I will now stop being so lazy and refer to the city by it´s full name at all times!
I have already discovered craigslist and love it! I would also recommend the website for anyone moving to any city in the USA.
I will probably be living outside the city to begin with - in fact quite a long way from the city - in Sacramento, but plan to spend as much time as possible in San Francisco for work and pleasure!

RACHEL

ScousePete Oct 1st 2004 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by vivsavage955

And yes, we DETEST when people call it Frisco. Frisco is a town in Texas, I think. San Fran is also annoying, but at least mildly more tolerable than Frisco. ;)

There's also a Frisco in Colorado ;)