British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-questions-648339/)

puddinghampie Jan 10th 2010 9:11 am

moving questions

We are planning a move to Ohio by April and have just begun to search moving companies. Does anyone have any advice for which company to use and how to keep our costs down. At this point we are just about to get rid of everything and start over!
Thanks!

chrisfromusa Jan 10th 2010 9:26 am

Re: moving questions

Well firstly, you will be barraged by other fellow BE members, you have your appropriate visa already worked out, and a job offer firmly in hand?

puddinghampie Jan 10th 2010 11:21 am

My wife is American and has been in contact with several universities and has offers for teaching positions. We are beginning the visa process but would like to have quotes firmly in hand before we get too far in. She will be moving back to the states a few weeks before me to get things set up.

dunroving Jan 10th 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by puddinghampie (Post 8234279)
My wife is American and has been in contact with several universities and has offers for teaching positions. We are beginning the visa process but would like to have quotes firmly in hand before we get too far in. She will be moving back to the states a few weeks before me to get things set up.

I hope you realise most universities won't be able to afford a major relocation package so you may well end up paying for much of the shipping yourselves.

I went with Wheaton Worldwide (US end)/Britannia (UK end). They were pretty good.

Rinkens (US-based) has also received good reviews, and I used them last time. Ask to speak to Christoph.

tonrob Jan 10th 2010 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8234065)
Well firstly, you will be barraged by other fellow BE members, you have your appropriate visa already worked out, and a job offer firmly in hand?

Why would you want to know about their visa? The question was clearly about moving companies.

Brat1 Jan 10th 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by puddinghampie (Post 8234041)
We are planning a move to Ohio by April and have just begun to search moving companies. Does anyone have any advice for which company to use and how to keep our costs down. At this point we are just about to get rid of everything and start over!
Thanks!

Welcome Puddinghampie.

We are in the same situation and have our shipping organised for February this year. We are using Doree Bonner and so far, they seem ok and their quote was reasonable. Obviously, the more stuff you take, the bigger the volume, therefore, the bigger the cost. If you share a container, you will keep the cost down also, although, apparently, this could take longer because they have to tie you in with someone else. If you take a 20ft container yourself, then the timescale is quicker so it depends on whether this would be an issue.

I will let everyone know how the move goes!!!! Fingers crossed. We are off on 8th February so I'm really excited now. Hope everything goes ok with the visa and keep us posted. :thumbup:

puddinghampie Jan 10th 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. Since my wife is a US citizen there are less issues involved as far as her job situation goes. That's not a worry at any rate.
Do let us know how the move goes. We are thinking of getting rid of most of our large bits of furniture and just moving the necessary things. There won't be much of a rush as we will stay with the in-laws while we set up house.

Brat1 Jan 10th 2010 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by puddinghampie (Post 8234540)
Thanks for the replies. Since my wife is a US citizen there are less issues involved as far as her job situation goes. That's not a worry at any rate.
Do let us know how the move goes. We are thinking of getting rid of most of our large bits of furniture and just moving the necessary things. There won't be much of a rush as we will stay with the in-laws while we set up house.

You're welcome

We're trying to get rid of most of the big items and electrical stuff, but it's proving more difficult than we thought. I think we are shipping 420 cubic feet and its costing 2600 pounds and the insurance will be an extra 2% I think. We'll let you know how we get on.

puddinghampie Jan 10th 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks tons! Where are you moving to in the states? We will contact the moving company you suggested. Our lowest quote so far is 1995. There has to be an easier way! I think that was for just moving a few furniture items I am attached to. Looks like they may have to stay in Holyhead. Darn!

Brat1 Jan 10th 2010 1:57 pm

We are flying into JFK, hubby will be working in White Plains, New York and we are going to be living in Connecticut as it is slightly cheaper. I know all these moving companies quote by the cubic foot volume, so it really depends on whether it is financially viable to take your stuff or buy new when you get there. There is a great discount furniture shop called Bobs Discount Furniture, which I'm sure is a chain, but don't know whether they cover different states. They have a web site so it's worth taking a look. I think our plan is going to be to get a crate over with things that we need right away and they get to the States reasonably quickly. Maybe some of the other members will clarify if this is right or not!! :unsure:

tonrob Jan 10th 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 8234652)
We are flying into JFK, hubby will be working in White Plains, New York and we are going to be living in Connecticut as it is slightly cheaper. I know all these moving companies quote by the cubic foot volume, so it really depends on whether it is financially viable to take your stuff or buy new when you get there. There is a great discount furniture shop called Bobs Discount Furniture, which I'm sure is a chain, but don't know whether they cover different states. They have a web site so it's worth taking a look. I think our plan is going to be to get a crate over with things that we need right away and they get to the States reasonably quickly. Maybe some of the other members will clarify if this is right or not!! :unsure:

Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa). I think as long as you realize that you get what you're paying for (and we did to be honest) then it's fine. Same with crappy Ikea.

Oh, and they do free ice cream.

puddinghampie Jan 10th 2010 7:13 pm

Not too worried about getting things when we are there. My mom and dad are packrats and have lots of dishes and even a couch we can borrow. There are plenty of resale shops around my town as well. Should be interesting.

Brat1 Jan 11th 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8234754)
Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa). I think as long as you realize that you get what you're paying for (and we did to be honest) then it's fine. Same with crappy Ikea.

Oh, and they do free ice cream.

Thanks for that! Just as well you told me that because Bob's was going to be our first stop once we arrive. Any ideas about decent furniture shops in Connecticut? It will be for big items such as sofas and beds. Any advice would be great - Free hot dogs would be better :D:D

Bob Jan 11th 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8234754)
Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa)....

If there's a Ocean State Jobs Lot, Big Lots, Building 19 type of place, can get some great furniture for not much money...have to arrange delivery yourself though, or high a pick up...

tonrob Jan 11th 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 8237729)
Thanks for that! Just as well you told me that because Bob's was going to be our first stop once we arrive. Any ideas about decent furniture shops in Connecticut? It will be for big items such as sofas and beds. Any advice would be great - Free hot dogs would be better :D:D

Depending on timing check to see if there's a sale on at Macy's Home. They have some great stuff - often pricey but we've seen some deep discounts. We could have got a much better sofa than our Bob's one for about 20% more at the Macy's sale if we'd waited.