Reload this Page >

moving questions

Wikiposts

moving questions

Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

puddinghampie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving questions

We are planning a move to Ohio by April and have just begun to search moving companies. Does anyone have any advice for which company to use and how to keep our costs down. At this point we are just about to get rid of everything and start over!
Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving questions

Well firstly, you will be barraged by other fellow BE members, you have your appropriate visa already worked out, and a job offer firmly in hand?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

My wife is American and has been in contact with several universities and has offers for teaching positions. We are beginning the visa process but would like to have quotes firmly in hand before we get too far in. She will be moving back to the states a few weeks before me to get things set up.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puddinghampie
My wife is American and has been in contact with several universities and has offers for teaching positions. We are beginning the visa process but would like to have quotes firmly in hand before we get too far in. She will be moving back to the states a few weeks before me to get things set up.
I hope you realise most universities won't be able to afford a major relocation package so you may well end up paying for much of the shipping yourselves.

I went with Wheaton Worldwide (US end)/Britannia (UK end). They were pretty good.

Rinkens (US-based) has also received good reviews, and I used them last time. Ask to speak to Christoph.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well firstly, you will be barraged by other fellow BE members, you have your appropriate visa already worked out, and a job offer firmly in hand?
Why would you want to know about their visa? The question was clearly about moving companies.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning a move to Ohio by April and have just begun to search moving companies. Does anyone have any advice for which company to use and how to keep our costs down. At this point we are just about to get rid of everything and start over!
Thanks!
Welcome Puddinghampie.

We are in the same situation and have our shipping organised for February this year. We are using Doree Bonner and so far, they seem ok and their quote was reasonable. Obviously, the more stuff you take, the bigger the volume, therefore, the bigger the cost. If you share a container, you will keep the cost down also, although, apparently, this could take longer because they have to tie you in with someone else. If you take a 20ft container yourself, then the timescale is quicker so it depends on whether this would be an issue.

I will let everyone know how the move goes!!!! Fingers crossed. We are off on 8th February so I'm really excited now. Hope everything goes ok with the visa and keep us posted.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving questions

Thanks for the replies. Since my wife is a US citizen there are less issues involved as far as her job situation goes. That's not a worry at any rate.
Do let us know how the move goes. We are thinking of getting rid of most of our large bits of furniture and just moving the necessary things. There won't be much of a rush as we will stay with the in-laws while we set up house.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Since my wife is a US citizen there are less issues involved as far as her job situation goes. That's not a worry at any rate.
Do let us know how the move goes. We are thinking of getting rid of most of our large bits of furniture and just moving the necessary things. There won't be much of a rush as we will stay with the in-laws while we set up house.
You're welcome

We're trying to get rid of most of the big items and electrical stuff, but it's proving more difficult than we thought. I think we are shipping 420 cubic feet and its costing 2600 pounds and the insurance will be an extra 2% I think. We'll let you know how we get on.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks tons! Where are you moving to in the states? We will contact the moving company you suggested. Our lowest quote so far is 1995. There has to be an easier way! I think that was for just moving a few furniture items I am attached to. Looks like they may have to stay in Holyhead. Darn!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

We are flying into JFK, hubby will be working in White Plains, New York and we are going to be living in Connecticut as it is slightly cheaper. I know all these moving companies quote by the cubic foot volume, so it really depends on whether it is financially viable to take your stuff or buy new when you get there. There is a great discount furniture shop called Bobs Discount Furniture, which I'm sure is a chain, but don't know whether they cover different states. They have a web site so it's worth taking a look. I think our plan is going to be to get a crate over with things that we need right away and they get to the States reasonably quickly. Maybe some of the other members will clarify if this is right or not!!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:39 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
We are flying into JFK, hubby will be working in White Plains, New York and we are going to be living in Connecticut as it is slightly cheaper. I know all these moving companies quote by the cubic foot volume, so it really depends on whether it is financially viable to take your stuff or buy new when you get there. There is a great discount furniture shop called Bobs Discount Furniture, which I'm sure is a chain, but don't know whether they cover different states. They have a web site so it's worth taking a look. I think our plan is going to be to get a crate over with things that we need right away and they get to the States reasonably quickly. Maybe some of the other members will clarify if this is right or not!!
Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa). I think as long as you realize that you get what you're paying for (and we did to be honest) then it's fine. Same with crappy Ikea.

Oh, and they do free ice cream.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Not too worried about getting things when we are there. My mom and dad are packrats and have lots of dishes and even a couch we can borrow. There are plenty of resale shops around my town as well. Should be interesting.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa). I think as long as you realize that you get what you're paying for (and we did to be honest) then it's fine. Same with crappy Ikea.

Oh, and they do free ice cream.
Thanks for that! Just as well you told me that because Bob's was going to be our first stop once we arrive. Any ideas about decent furniture shops in Connecticut? It will be for big items such as sofas and beds. Any advice would be great - Free hot dogs would be better
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Be careful with Bob's. We moved over here 5 years ago and as we were starting from scratch we looked for some cheaper things and went to Bob's - some stuff hasn't exactly stood the test of time well (e.g. our sagging sofa)....
If there's a Ocean State Jobs Lot, Big Lots, Building 19 type of place, can get some great furniture for not much money...have to arrange delivery yourself though, or high a pick up...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:48 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Brat1
Thanks for that! Just as well you told me that because Bob's was going to be our first stop once we arrive. Any ideas about decent furniture shops in Connecticut? It will be for big items such as sofas and beds. Any advice would be great - Free hot dogs would be better
Depending on timing check to see if there's a sale on at Macy's Home. They have some great stuff - often pricey but we've seen some deep discounts. We could have got a much better sofa than our Bob's one for about 20% more at the Macy's sale if we'd waited.