British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving Question to the US! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-question-us-727428/)

glasgow1 Aug 4th 2011 12:06 pm

Moving Question to the US!

Hi guys,

I have finally recieved my visa and we are looking to move to Maryland, USA as soon as possible!

At the moment I am doing some research as to how to move my personal belongings, clothes etc etc in the most economical way.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process, or is going through this process that has some advice or recommendations for moving companies.

Also, what is the average cost? I am looking to move just clothes and a few personal items.

Any info is appreciated!

britishspouse Aug 4th 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Moving Question to the US!

Originally Posted by glasgow1 (Post 9537333)
Hi guys,

I have finally recieved my visa and we are looking to move to Maryland, USA as soon as possible!

At the moment I am doing some research as to how to move my personal belongings, clothes etc etc in the most economical way.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process, or is going through this process that has some advice or recommendations for moving companies.

Also, what is the average cost? I am looking to move just clothes and a few personal items.

Any info is appreciated!

well I am just doing it on the airplane, Taking two checked bags and a big hand luggage bag

The first bag upto 50lbs is free, the 2nd is $60 and the 3rd is $200. This worked out cheaper than any moving quoted I could find, and i also sent some very light stuff via regular post for about $20 a box. I looked into sharing a shipping contained but the cost was upwards of $1000 so didnt seem worth it unless ur shipping big items like furniture.

ian-mstm Aug 4th 2011 1:30 pm

It's probably important to distinguish between "most economical way" and "most economical yet safe/secure way". Also, is time to delivery a factor... because "economical" usually means slow?

Ian

Jerseygirl Aug 4th 2011 1:37 pm

Hi guys,

Any info is appreciated!

Take a look through this thread by Ozzidoc...it may be of interest to you.

Bob Aug 4th 2011 6:34 pm

Have a search, also in the wiki...subject is a frequent one :)

glasgow1 Aug 4th 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks guys!!

Just trying to work out now which company to go with and what stuff to take! mostly clothes as far as I am aware.

Best to start packing then see how much stuff I have got!

Apfelkuchen Aug 4th 2011 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9537454)
well I am just doing it on the airplane, Taking two checked bags and a big hand luggage bag

The first bag upto 50lbs is free, the 2nd is $60 and the 3rd is $200.

In case you happen to have Star Alliance silver membership or above, I think you can then get the second bag for free too (on a Star Alliance airline obviously). I imagine other frequent flier programmes have similar deals too.

Deeks Aug 5th 2011 3:46 am

We shipped 5 tea chests using Seven Seas on 9 June, due to arrive at our door in one week, cost 325pounds. Communication has been very good. We had friends who used them moving to Australia, they were well pleased.

Deeks Aug 13th 2011 3:55 am

Update... Our boxes arrived today on schedule, all in good order. We are very pleased with Seven Seas and would recommend them. :)