Reload this Page >

Moving to Portland oregon

Moving to Portland oregon

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

philandsarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Portland oregon

Hello
we have been asked to consider a move with my husbands job . Probably wouldnt be centre of Portland but surrounding suburbs or towards to coast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, particularly on schools and universities. We have 2 children aged 17 and 14. Can my 14 year still study for her GCSE’s?
Thanks very much 😊😊
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 1:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Portland oregon

Hi and welcome.

As it is only 6 am out on the West Coast at the moment, we'll have to wait for someone with more 'on the ground' experience in Oregon to wake up and reply, but in a more general sense, US schools do not offer GCSE's with the exception of a few British International Schools in big cities like Houston, Boston and Washington DC (and I think even some of them are now more IB-based). They could study 'correspondence' style online and whatnot, but if you are looking for classroom instruction you'll have basically an impossible time unless you happen to find a Portland-based tutor.

Bigger issue though is your long-term plans for the kids and the question of US or UK universities. If seeking a US uni experience, the 14-year-old would probably be better suited going into a US high school system and getting a GPA and an SAT score. If going back to the UK for uni then you also need to watch out for the UK-residency requirement for your kids prior to starting Uni as it is very possible they could be classified as "Foreign" students requiring you to pay foreign student fees (note: this happens frequently to expats who get sent over when the kids are this age). This is a good guide on what courses to take in what countries to go to unis in those places.

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/i...culum-uk-or-us

Also worth noting: assuming you are getting a work visa for this move, will this job transfer have your employer's support for a "Green Card" permanent residency? I ask because if the kids stay on and go to University here, they could find themselves after graduation no longer welcome in the USA (i.e. unable to obtain a work visa on their own merits, too old to continue staying with you on your work visa). As a general expat observation: I can't tell you how many people I've met overseas who are on "year six, nine or twelve of a 'three-year assignment'" such that long term planning might need to be part of your decision-making process.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 5:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The 17 year old would be primary concern. They will 'age out' and have to return to the UK at age 21 unless they can get a visa in their own right or you already have Green Cards by then.

There is much you need to consider before agreeing to this move.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Where the job is makes a difference as to where to live. The west side is the expensive side and US26 is a nightmare most days at rush hour. The east side is cheaper and perhaps not as nice, or as newly developed with the exception of Happy Valley and Wilsonville. I live in Milwaukie bordering SE Portland.

If it was me I would be looking to live within easy reach of light rail to commute. If you are a raving left wing Corbynnitte City of Portland will suit you well, otherwise look to be outside the City of Portland somewhere in the Metro area which will be liberal minded but laced with common sense. Quite happy to answer any and all questions you might have, Oregon is a wonderful place to live.

Where you live will dictate what school your kids go to. Again if it where me I'd avoid Portland School District and some parts of North Clackamas School District.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 3rd 2019 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/02/opini...ano/index.html

I have not been to Portland but it does not seem to get very good coverage in the media, see above for example from today..
Old Jul 5th 2019, 2:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/02/opini...ano/index.html

I have not been to Portland but it does not seem to get very good coverage in the media, see above for example from today..
Boiler, stop trolling on threads where people are looking for serious immigration advice.

OP, pay no attention to him, he trolls multiple threads with this stuff - Portland is a delightful city, the area is beautiful, and the violent crime rate low.

I don't live there so don't have detailed advice on schools, etc, but do think carefully about the 17 year old especially. The 14 year old could not do GCSEs as explained above, but could still attend UK universities with US qualifications - my son is doing just that. But if you have not been "habitually resident" in the UK for the three years prior to uni you will absolutely be paying international fees which are approx double the UK fees.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Boiler, stop trolling on threads where people are looking for serious immigration advice.

OP, pay no attention to him, he trolls multiple threads with this stuff - Portland is a delightful city, the area is beautiful, and the violent crime rate low.

I don't live there so don't have detailed advice on schools, etc, but do think carefully about the 17 year old especially. The 14 year old could not do GCSEs as explained above, but could still attend UK universities with US qualifications - my son is doing just that. But if you have not been "habitually resident" in the UK for the three years prior to uni you will absolutely be paying international fees which are approx double the UK fees.
Honoured to get a mention, you may have missed Lansbury's comment.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 4:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That CNN article is spot on. Problem with the local left wing nut jobs, like the Mayors of Portland and Milwaukie, is you are not allowed to disagree with them, As the mayor of Milwaukie once said, his job is to educate those that disagree with him as to the error of their ways. If he can’t do that he just laughs at the ignorant. The mayor of Portland is also the police commissioner and how Portland is policed is very much along the lines of his political views. AntiFA violence as regular demonstrations is becoming quite a challenge to opposing views, and the police do little to stop it.

I wouldn’t live in the City of Portland as it is becoming a left wing dictatorship. I much prefer living where all views are expressed and listened too, and that isn’t the City of Portland.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to cities of a similar size, Portland is relatively safe. I guess the "left wing dictatorship" is doing something right...

My view on Portland is that it's a very livable place, with a lot of art, culture and quality academic institutions. For an America city, public transit is pretty good too. I'd choose somewhere on the east of the Willamette River, say south of NE Knott and north of SE Division. A lot of cool neighbourhoods in that area.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
As the mayor of Milwaukie once said, his job is to educate those that disagree with him as to the error of their ways. If he can’t do that he just laughs at the ignorant.
Lion in Winter behaves the same way. She has spent a lot of time trying to "educate" Boiler and he still disagrees with her about a lot of things. Impossible - must be a troll.

That being said Portland is a fine city to live in with a high quality of life. All things being equal I wouldn't have any issues living there.

However the university scene there is not very robust. The University of Oregon and Oregon State University are both mid-range research institutions - both are fine - but neither are in Portland. As well Higher Education in the US is very state-centric and tuition rates for "in state" residents are much lower than "out of state" residents - however that is locally defined (and, depending on your visa situation). That is for public universities.

You need to pull out the calculator for your situation with the 17 year old and weigh everything up. University education in the US if classified as an "international student" can be exorbitant.

What is the name of that enormous bookstore in Portland that takes up an entire city block? Isn't it one of the biggest in the world?

Politics should play no role whatsoever in the decision.

By the way - Hillary under-performed Obama ('08 and '12) in Oregon, as well as John Kerry - and Bush almost beat Gore there. Hillary won there 50-39, with 4 percent going to the Libertarians and 2.5 percent going for the Greens. So combine the totals and that's about 52-44, 53-44 for left/right? Solid but hardly landslide territory, and nowhere near the margins Republicans put up in some parts of the South. Oregon is not nearly as reactionary as portrayed.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 6th 2019 at 8:57 am.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
By the way - Hillary under-performed Obama ('08 and '12) in Oregon, as well as John Kerry - and Bush almost beat Gore there. Hillary won there 50-39, with 4 percent going to the Libertarians and 2.5 percent going for the Greens. So combine the totals and that's about 52-44, 53-44 for left/right? Solid but hardly landslide territory, and nowhere near the margins Republicans put up in some parts of the South. Oregon is not nearly as reactionary as portrayed.
Chunks of Oregon are right wing militia territory.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Chunks of Oregon are right wing militia territory.
Yeah, the left-wing dictatorship seems to be faltering

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/26/ore...-wing-militia/

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ators-militia/

Some aspects of this country are quite mad.

In the meantime, the poor OP hasn't posted again - we really should keep this kind of thing out of the actual information threads.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yeah, the left-wing dictatorship seems to be faltering

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/26/ore...-wing-militia/

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ators-militia/

Some aspects of this country are quite mad.

In the meantime, the poor OP hasn't posted again - we really should keep this kind of thing out of the actual information threads.
If you are quick you can edit your post.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you are quick you can edit your post.
Trolling.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou

Politics should play no role whatsoever in the decision.
While in general I would agree in Portland's case I think it should be considered, as the council policies can have an effect on the quality of life.

For example in order to reduce green house gases they discourage car ownership. One way they do this is to allow developers to buy up single family homes and build apartment blocks in their place. These blocks are built without parking spaces resulting not as the council wishes in people not having cars, but in blocking the street with their parked cars. Now that policy suits most of the people who live in the City of Portland, but it might be something someone coming to live here might want to consider. Other parts of the metro area don't have such a policy and require a certain amount of parking spaces for new developments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.