Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to Pittsburgh, PA next week

moving to Pittsburgh, PA next week

Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice
Default moving to Pittsburgh, PA next week

Hi all,

After moving back to the UK from Houston last year my wife and I are now moving back to the US to Pittsburgh, PA, on a semi-permanent basis (I have a job at the uni there). The H1-B came through last week so we are all set to go. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience of Pittsburgh, knows nice places to live, shop (for my wife!) etc...

Thanks for any help and advice,

SamJ
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Pittsburgh, PA next week

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
Hi all,

After moving back to the UK from Houston last year my wife and I are now moving back to the US to Pittsburgh, PA, on a semi-permanent basis (I have a job at the uni there). The H1-B came through last week so we are all set to go. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience of Pittsburgh, knows nice places to live, shop (for my wife!) etc...

SamJ
Poor Bastard !!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:28 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

SamJ
EEEEEK!!!! :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:36 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

SamJ
See if you can relocate to Philadelphia instead......

Okay, its not that bad, there are a few people on here who live in Pittsburgh, UKImmigrant, JumpingDoris to name a couple.

It has had a lot of money ploughed into it in the past couple of years so is experienceing a rennaisance of sorts and now has a fair few good restaurants, art galleries and theatres. However its still a bit of a bleak industrial landscape and crime there is still going strong. There are nice parts like everywhere....and there's always the Heinz factory and the Sports teams, if you're into that.

You will experience driving,and realise that road signs in Pitt are a bit of a joke and that it seems as though someone has only put them there for a laugh at your expense,a s they seem to make no sense whatsoever. At some point will have to go over the iron bridge which leads to the four-pit tunnel. Pittsburghians treat this as some sort of Nascar Death Race and if you're doing anything less than 140mph going over the bridge you're screwed. Oh and the sign for your exit will only appear as you drive past it and realise its 5 lanes over on the other side.

Good luck in Steel Town!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Poor Bastard !!!!
That voice of reassurance strikes again!!!

Jim.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:23 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
See if you can relocate to Philadelphia instead......

Okay, its not that bad, there are a few people on here who live in Pittsburgh, UKImmigrant, JumpingDoris to name a couple.

It has had a lot of money ploughed into it in the past couple of years so is experienceing a rennaisance of sorts and now has a fair few good restaurants, art galleries and theatres. However its still a bit of a bleak industrial landscape and crime there is still going strong. There are nice parts like everywhere....and there's always the Heinz factory and the Sports teams, if you're into that.

You will experience driving,and realise that road signs in Pitt are a bit of a joke and that it seems as though someone has only put them there for a laugh at your expense,a s they seem to make no sense whatsoever. At some point will have to go over the iron bridge which leads to the four-pit tunnel. Pittsburghians treat this as some sort of Nascar Death Race and if you're doing anything less than 140mph going over the bridge you're screwed. Oh and the sign for your exit will only appear as you drive past it and realise its 5 lanes over on the other side.

Good luck in Steel Town!
Oh god. I have just driven over the Fort Pitt for the first time and I've been here nearly a year!!!. I usually choose a different way into town but on this occasion I had no choice. I closed my eyes like all the locals do, hit the gas and aimed for downtown.
To the OP...where will you be living?
I like Pittsburgh and everyone we have met here has been great. I think it's a very friendly place. I wish it had more shops etc in the city centre because I don't enjoy shopping malls. We have found loads to de here and there is some really pretty country side around.
PM me if you would like to know anything specific.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:26 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Poor Bastard !!!!
You want them to go to Florida?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You poor thing ;-(

Enjoy the steel mills and polluted air.

Hi all,

SamJ
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch...I've yet to hear a nice word said about the place, except that's it behind ya as you leg it through...everyone says it is a bit of a shit hole....and PA is just a weird state anyway
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Oh god. I have just driven over the Fort Pitt for the first time and I've been here nearly a year!!!. I usually choose a different way into town but on this occasion I had no choice. I closed my eyes like all the locals do, hit the gas and aimed for downtown.
To the OP...where will you be living?
I like Pittsburgh and everyone we have met here has been great. I think it's a very friendly place. I wish it had more shops etc in the city centre because I don't enjoy shopping malls. We have found loads to de here and there is some really pretty country side around.
PM me if you would like to know anything specific.
Thanks for the replies. Nice to know someone likes it!!! We don't know where we'll be living yet. To begin with we'll be staying in a hotel or with another professor from the uni. Hopefully finding somewhere to rent after a few days to a week. I've heard that Squirrel Hill & Shadyside are pretty nice areas, and close to the universities. Credit allowing we'll probably be looking to buy after a year or so.

I'm a big sports fan so that is a big plus.

Cheers,
SamJ
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch...I've yet to hear a nice word said about the place, except that's it behind ya as you leg it through...everyone says it is a bit of a shit hole....and PA is just a weird state anyway
so, so true.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

SamJ
Would the uni be CMU by any chance?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
Would the uni be CMU by any chance?
it's Pitt.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:11 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Nice to know someone likes it!!! We don't know where we'll be living yet. To begin with we'll be staying in a hotel or with another professor from the uni. Hopefully finding somewhere to rent after a few days to a week. I've heard that Squirrel Hill & Shadyside are pretty nice areas, and close to the universities. Credit allowing we'll probably be looking to buy after a year or so.

I'm a big sports fan so that is a big plus.

Cheers,
SamJ
Take no notice of them.
There are no steel mills left.
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are very nice and have some lovely old houses but the schools are not brilliant if you have children. Most people move out when they have kids or educate privately.
Fox Chapel is nice, so is Sewickley also Mount Lebanon. I live in the South Hills because the schools are good. The North Hills also have good schools.
We have spent a few Summer evenings at the Pirate games. The stadium is amazing and we don't know enough about baseball to know if the team are any good. A great night out.
We moved here from Liverpool and Pittsburgh reminds me of it in many ways.

I live in a place called Upper Saint Clair and there is almost zero crime, mostly underage smoking and drinking.
I never lock my doors, most people where I am don't lock their cars.
I am amazed that we still have all our garden furniture because unless it was chained down back at home it would have been stolen.
There is more crime in the city and we have friends in Shadyside who hear gun fire very frequently.

Go to the Strip on Saturday mornings for lots of Italian, Mexican and other markets.
Shadyside has a lovely shopping street.
As I said before the surrounding countryside is beautiful.
I like having four seasons and of course the Winter means you can ski ( not my idea of fun, though).
I hope you have a great time here.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:19 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

I spent about 6 months up in Pittsburgh working for Alcoa. It wasn't a bad place and I was staying downtown, in the Westin hotel. Having said that though, most of my evenings were spent in the hotel bar since downtown is nothing special at all.

People are very friendly and I never had any problems or noticed any problems.

The downtown has been revamped (according to the locals) and is much better than it used to be. I do like the way that the football stadium and baseball stadium are basically next door to each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.