Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with pets?

Moving with pets?

Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with pets?

Play nice please. There is no need to get picky with someone's grammar etc.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:02 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

But children read these forums. What example are we setting for them? Won't someone please think of the children? And the cats?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

HSHMN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Im going through the K1 visa route, and hopefully if all goes well i should be in America in June.

However im taking my cat with me, hes had rabies shots, gonna have a blood test at some point to apply for his pet passport. so the requirements etc are dealt with no problem.

my main worries are tho, how he is going to be in another country, with different dangers like guns, tornados and deadly animals - what is it like for a cat to live in america?

has anyone else moved their pets with them? what are they? how do you cope? what airline id you fly with? did you have any worries about them being in the cargo hold? or even with the vet at the other end of the flight?

i just wanna make sure my cat gets their safely and comfortably and that im not worrying over nothing really

thankyou in advance!
Hi
We recently moved with our 2 cats to Minneapolis. They didnt need the rabies as UK is classed as a 'rabies free' country. Just a certificate (letter really) from a vet saying they had been seen and were fit to fly. Depending on the airline depends when the vets should see the cat. We used North West and they said 10 days before - read 24 hrs before somewhere too so I took them the day before we flew. We got a special kennel online which met the size requirements. We flew from Heathrow and they were really looked after, no problems at all with the check in - we just had to pay the fare for them $150 each I think. They went in the hold - picked them up on baggage claim the other end, they managed the journey fine, esp one who has a heart murmur - both fine.
They are indoor cats so I cant say about living outdoors, a friend here has 2 that are mostly outdoor cats and they get into some fights with strays, chase rabbits.. she says they might not live that long as there is wildlife that would see them as prey..coyotes, bears maybe.. I am glad ours are indoor cats!!
The airline you travel with are the ones who state the regulations re kennel and vets cert..as for the health/jabs requirements - its upto the state you fly into - the export dept in the US Embassay might be able to help here..
Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:23 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HSHMN
The airline you travel with are the ones who state the regulations re kennel and vets cert..as for the health/jabs requirements - its upto the state you fly into - the export dept in the US Embassay might be able to help here..
Good luck!
This bit's important. It's not wise to rely solely on advice from the airline, as they may well get it wrong. You can ask the feds, but they, quite correctly, have tunnel vision and will only speak to their mandate. So state (and county, city) laws are what counts.

The thing is, when you speak with the state, you'll get given the letter of the law. In our case, they said she'd need a rabies shot to enter the state and another rabies shot 30 days later because UK vaccines aren't on their list. In practice, however, you may find that your vet will be prepared to exercise discretion...

Edited to add: It may not be only one state. There's the state where you land, the state where you end up and any states you set foot in in between.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

right, well I did notice the state of Missouri says cats should be vaccinated against feline leukemia so I'll be looking into that.