Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with pets?

Moving with pets?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving with pets?

Im going through the K1 visa route, and hopefully if all goes well i should be in America in June.

However im taking my cat with me, hes had rabies shots, gonna have a blood test at some point to apply for his pet passport. so the requirements etc are dealt with no problem.

my main worries are tho, how he is going to be in another country, with different dangers like guns, tornados and deadly animals - what is it like for a cat to live in america?

has anyone else moved their pets with them? what are they? how do you cope? what airline id you fly with? did you have any worries about them being in the cargo hold? or even with the vet at the other end of the flight?

i just wanna make sure my cat gets their safely and comfortably and that im not worrying over nothing really

thankyou in advance!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with pets?

Originally Posted by PepsiChic

my main worries are tho, how he is going to be in another country, with different dangers like guns, tornados and deadly animals - what is it like for a cat to live in america?

I know you're being serious and I know you really want to know......but

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

im sorry! i know it all seems dumb, but people i talk to keep saying their pets are "indoor" pets and my cat loves the outdoors, he loves chasing spiders and with Missouri being full of brown recluses im worried he'll get bit or something.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

im sorry! i know it all seems dumb, but people i talk to keep saying their pets are "indoor" pets and my cat loves the outdoors, he loves chasing spiders and with Missouri being full of brown recluses im worried he'll get bit or something.
I'm not a cat owner, but my grandmother is. She's had cats for years (she is originally from the mid-west - Indiana and now lives in Oregon.) She's always let her cats come and go as they pleased.....and nothing has ever happened to them, that I know of. Her cat that she has now is an indoor cat, mainly because she (my grandmother) is 93 years old and she likes to know where the cat is. She does live in a wooded area and there have been cats gone missing...... I don't think you can control wild animals.

I really don't think you need to worry. I've heard that after you move to a new home that you should keep the cat indoors for a few weeks.....but other then that I suppose its how comfortable you feel to letting it go out.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:51 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Im going through the K1 visa route, and hopefully if all goes well i should be in America in June.

However im taking my cat with me, hes had rabies shots, gonna have a blood test at some point to apply for his pet passport. so the requirements etc are dealt with no problem.

has anyone else moved their pets with them? what are they? how do you cope? what airline id you fly with? did you have any worries about them being in the cargo hold? or even with the vet at the other end of the flight?

i just wanna make sure my cat gets their safely and comfortably and that im not worrying over nothing really

thankyou in advance!
We moved from the UK to California a year ago with our two cats, both of whom are outdoor, not indoor as so many are over here.

Whilst they had proper tantrums about being kept in for 4 weeks after we moved over to make sure they knew where we are and try to prevent them from swimming across the atlantic back to the UK, they have settled in well.

We were also quite nervous about letting them out at first, what with earthquakes, different wildlife, rattlesnakes etc, but its something you just have to do. Just like with kids. A few days of watching them when they were outside put my mind to rest. Try not to worry about it too much, and make sure he is in at night the first week or two. At the end of the day, yes cats are very curious creatures getting themselves into loads of trouble, but when something scares them or is "new and different" they'll be running and howling back to you to escape it!.. Scaredy cats!

You may find that local vets also recommend different / extra vacinations for your cat once you get here for disease that are most common locally. Our cats went through a stage of skin allergies whilst they got used to the new flora and forna of the area. Sure it was a nusence and cost for us, but they didnt seem to be too bothered by it.

The cats food here is crap (whiskas is not the same formula) so definitely recommend switching him to the science diet or vet supplied one, which is better for their digestion.

We were fortunate enough to have the company we moved with look after all the cat relocation issues, so we said goodbye to them on Friday and hello on Sunday. I do know they flew with BA Cargo, and was reliably informed that they were better treated on the plane than we were! Its easier for cats since they tend to just sleep for the whole flight. Dogs on the other hand panic alot and sometimes have to be sedated.

I know there have been others who have posted before on this site who have made al the arrangements themselves, so may be worth checking that out using the search function. (eg http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571663 )

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; Mar 5th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

we live out in the country here in Texas and our neighbours moved from the city out to here and all 3 of their cats were eaten by cayotes within a matter of weeks
Caught our 8 month old corgi chewing on the head of a large snake yesterday..goodness only knows where she found it. Life over here is certainly different!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou in advance!
The American language is the main problem...that and the accent...British pets can't understand it.

Use the search feature located at the top of the page to search the Moving Back to UK Forums...there are dozens of threads in there about international pet transportation.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The American language is the main problem...that and the accent...British pets can't understand it.

Our border collie barked with an English accent......
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Our border collie barked with an English accent......
I can understand my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and she understands me...but it's very difficult with my Chihuahua especially when she keeps disappearing into the garage to find the leaf blower.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can understand my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and she understands me...but it's very difficult with my Chihuahua especially when she keeps disappearing into the garage to find the leaf blower.
have you tried talking to your Chihuahua in Spanish...might help??
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:24 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing you need to do is check for any local ordinances. For example, where we're going, all cats must be indoor cats, or else on a leash. No exceptions, it's a quirky local law.

Any answers to this would depend on the question above.

We're doing it this weekend. Delta across the pond, 'cos the kitten can come in the cabin with us (United also do this) and breaking up the journey into manageable chunks - we're taking three days. I've posted a fair bit about the prep (you'll need various letters, etc.). Once I get an Internet connection at the new house, I'll report back about how it worked out in practice.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a cat owner, but my grandmother is. She's had cats for years (she is originally from the mid-west - Indiana and now lives in Oregon.) She's always let her cats come and go as they pleased.....and nothing has ever happened to them, that I know of. Her cat that she has now is an indoor cat, mainly because she (my grandmother) is 93 years old and she likes to know where the cat is. She does live in a wooded area and there have been cats gone missing...... I don't think you can control wild animals.
The OP is not going to AZ, but in some parts of the country (I know Arizona for a fact) it's not unusual for a coyote to run off with a cat and it is NOT smart to let your cat go outside.

That being said, there are some outdoor cats here in Ohio in our neighborhood (more similar to Missouri) who seem to do just fine.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:32 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
have you tried talking to your Chihuahua in Spanish...might help??
Mrs tonrob always speaks to animals in German. She's convinced that they all understand, wherever they're from...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
The OP is not going to AZ, but in some parts of the country (I know Arizona for a fact) it's not unusual for a coyote to run off with a cat and it is NOT smart to let your cat go outside.

That being said, there are some outdoor cats here in Ohio in our neighborhood (more similar to Missouri) who seem to do just fine.

Who said anything about Arizona?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Who said anything about Arizona?
My point was just that there are parts of the country where having an outdoor cat is a very bad idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.