Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with Pets

Moving with Pets

Old Dec 21st 2003, 4:05 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving with Pets

I'm taking my two cats with me when I move. They've already moved from London to Spain and went through the Pet Passport scheme so they are up to date on their rabies jabs and have been microchipped.

Does anyone know what sort of documentation I'll need when I take them to the US?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kite Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with Pets

Hi Sibsie

I have recently moved with my two cats from the UK to Chicago. All that was required once I landed in the US was that I had their vaccination records and a letter from my vet deeming them healthy. Once I had collected my luggage they were brought out to me.

Just make sure that they have plenty of water for the flight and that they are not given any tranquillisers as this can be very dangerous for the animal. My vet recommended that they both travel in the same carrier as this gives them bit more comfort - unless of course they don't get on!!

They have made their first trip to a Vet here in the US about 2 weeks after they arrived to get their rabies vaccinations.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your trip!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:36 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kite. I'm going to get massive sized carriers and think I'll put them separately. They do get on really well but the Burmese is a hell of a lot livlier than the British Blue. Sadly I can't fly direct from here so they'll have two flights.

I swear I worry more about them moving than I do me.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

I was in a worse state worrying about them than me actually leaving the country. I was convinced that I would get stateside to find 2 dead cats in the carrier! However all was fine.

My cats were in the carrier for 18 hours in total. Although you will be taking 2 flights (assume from Spain to UK and then US?) they will probably be in their carriers less time in one stretch if you are doing the flights one after another. In the UK, for transfers, I know they take the animals to the reception centre where they let them out of their carriers to use the litter tray etc. When the second flight then boards they take the animals straight to the plane.

One other tip, I brought some tinned cat food with me so that when we arrived they could have something to eat that wasn't different for them.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks Kite. I'm going to get massive sized carriers and think I'll put them separately. They do get on really well but the Burmese is a hell of a lot livlier than the British Blue. Sadly I can't fly direct from here so they'll have two flights.

I swear I worry more about them moving than I do me.
You may not be allowed to put them in oversized carriers. When I took Suzy (dog) across to the UK, and back to US (2000 and 2001), IATA had quite strict regulations about carrier size and construction. I think the fear with an oversized carier is that the animal might literally get bounced around in it - smaller carriers (though not too small) give the animal support if the aircraft hits turbulence. Check http://www.iata.org/cargooperations/...imals/pets.htm for details. These things seem to change regularly, so don't take my word for it.

Also, you should check for state-specific regulations regarding live animal import. Some regulations are federal, others vary from state to state. You may need certain certifications and tests done (I had to have a vet letter dated within 48 hrs of travel, for example, stating the animal was healthy and free of certain "infestations"). I believe CDC has taken over this regulation since I came here in 2001. Of course, when I arrived, no one in Customs seemed to care or know about anything, so I didn't need the certifications - but it gave me peace of mind knowing that I did meet the official regulations.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:53 pm
C.G.D.S

Kite you've just made my mind up for me! I was pondering over whether to fly via London or Paris. Paris is my usual routing to Boston but I'd had half a thought that LHR would be better for treatment of the cats. Now I'll defo go through there. Thanks. You've really put my mind at rest.

Good tip about the food. When I was moving to Spain I remember going through security and having to empty my pockets and I set the scanner off. For some reason I'd loaded my pockets with posh cat food!

Did your cats have any accidents on the trip?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Kite you've just made my mind up for me! I was pondering over whether to fly via London or Paris. Paris is my usual routing to Boston but I'd had half a thought that LHR would be better for treatment of the cats. Now I'll defo go through there. Thanks. You've really put my mind at rest.

Good tip about the food. When I was moving to Spain I remember going through security and having to empty my pockets and I set the scanner off. For some reason I'd loaded my pockets with posh cat food!

Did your cats have any accidents on the trip?
LHR were fantastic with Suzy, both times. They really take care of them in transit.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:57 pm
C.G.D.S

Thanks for the link and info Dunroving. I'll try to get my other half in MA to check the requirements for when they land.

Carrier size wise I'm going one size bigger than for when I moved to Spain. The containers they came in here were the proper "airline" ones I got from Airpets at LHR so they could stand up and turn around. I'll be putting lots of padding in too for them so it's not too bouncy.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:03 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by dunroving
LHR were fantastic with Suzy, both times. They really take care of them in transit.
That's good to know. I flew out of LGW moving here and they offloaded the cats for no reason whatsoever.

The BA manager came out, ripped their stickers off said "they're not flying today" and walked off duty. I had to go home, well not home as I'd sold my house, with two cats, stay with a friend and make the same hellish airport trip the next day.

When they did make the flight they were fine on arrival. Not a peep out of them and didn't seem phased at all. Even when they popped down on the baggage carousel. Unlike their poor old mum who was frazzled to bits.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

The cats were fine - no accidents at all! I had removed their food the night before we travelled (much to their disgust - and boy did I get nagged!!). They had water to drink and they certainly made full use of the kitty litter once we got to our new home! Cats are so clean I don't think they would mess the carrier unless they were really desparate.

To see my cats now - 6 weeks on you wouldn't have thought they had been through any trauma! They have both adjusted well to being house cats. They think the central air heating vents are just great and love lying on them and the fire place has also become a bit of a hit!! When I look back now to the stress I put myself under worrying about the critters I can't really beleive it!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:13 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

We flew our 2 Bengals over in May with BA from Edinburgh via Gatwick. They were pretty close buddies so we put them in the same oversize container. It's big enough that I can fit inside and close the door - well, I was bored one day when waiting for the removal men. We lined it with newspaper and a mat. I put a small litter tray in the back, but they didn't use it at all.

Sadly, they weren't close pals after being cooped up for 15 hours and it took a few months for them to make up.

As soon as Stella saw us at the baggage reclaim at DFW she screamed at us and didn't shut up for about a day afterwards. Guess she didn't enjoy the flights.

We had a plastic bag of their favourite chicken flavour cat food with us, US customs were only interested to know if it had any beef products in it. Mad cow and all that.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:32 pm
C.G.D.S

I love Bengals Dave. If my two furballs didn't seek and destroy anything else with fur I'd get one myself.

Glad to hear your cats settled in so quickly Kite. How did you fare settling in?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:21 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Brought my kitty gatwick to atlanta. I flew Delta because if you book in advance they let you take the cat bag onto the flight with you. Max of 2 animals per flight. It was comforting to have her with us all the way over and know she was ok. Bit of complaining but once we got to the hire car and let her out of the bag no problems.

On the document side only had proof of rabies shots and positive test and a vet cert that she was fit to travel within 48 hours.

Customs had no interest in any of it and just confiscated all the cat food because of food regs! cat could be a flying bag of rabies but hey no european beef cat food gets in! typical anal american bullshit.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

I'm getting there - it has only been 6 weeks or so - so it's all still pretty new. I'm here on a H4 visa with my hubby who's working on a H1B. There have been frustrations - like no SSN due to the patriot act. Feels a bit like I'm a 'non-person'.

It is a bit strange coming from the UK having worked since Uni, having a large social circle etc and then not even being able to open a bank account/drivers licence etc ! You even need a SSN to open a supermarket loyalty card. Oh well - just enjoying being a lady of leisure!!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:17 pm
C.G.D.S

Hang in there Kite. If you get bored I know quite a few people in Chicago and I could put you in touch with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.