Reload this Page >

Moving to Palo Alto

Moving to Palo Alto

Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Stefania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palo Alto

Hi there
me and my husband are moving to Palo Alto Area in late December/January. I was just wondering where it would be best to rent an apartment and how to meet people. We are in our early 30th easy going and sociable.
Also are there any special tips people could give us when moving to USA?

Would look forward to make any friends already over this forum

Cheers
Steffi
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palo Alto

Originally Posted by Stefania
Hi there
me and my husband are moving to Palo Alto Area in late December/January. I was just wondering where it would be best to rent an apartment and how to meet people. We are in our early 30th easy going and sociable.

Cheers
Steffi

Welcome to BE!

I'm a little far away from you, but love the area and have had some links to Stanford Hospitals in the past.

I'd recommend checking out meetup.com for new friends & activities.

There are quite a few rentals available through www.airbnb.com which might be suitable in the short term.

Good luck!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Welcome to BE!

I'm a little far away from you, but love the area and have had some links to Stanford Hospitals in the past.

I'd recommend checking out meetup.com for new friends & activities.

There are quite a few rentals available through www.airbnb.com which might be suitable in the short term.

Good luck!
One of my favorite places in this great country of ours. Might have something to do that I was born there. Needless to say, a great town.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:46 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

meetup.com is a great resource for newcomers to "find a niche". Strongly recommend it.

Are you looking for a long term rental or just a corporate one for a month or two to 'get your feet wet' while you look around (hint: the latter is the way to do it)?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

That's a relocation message board that talks about Silicon Valley in detail. You'll get some great information there but a few members of BE are in the Valley and will be on shortly to give some advice as well.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Stefania is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
meetup.com is a great resource for newcomers to "find a niche". Strongly recommend it.

Are you looking for a long term rental or just a corporate one for a month or two to 'get your feet wet' while you look around (hint: the latter is the way to do it)?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

That's a relocation message board that talks about Silicon Valley in detail. You'll get some great information there but a few members of BE are in the Valley and will be on shortly to give some advice as well.
Hi there
thank you all for the nice replies and tipps. I could use some already ;o)

Take care

Steffi
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:19 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stefania
Hi there

Cheers
Steffi
Hi Stefania

Good rentals around here move extremely quickly, It's not unusual for a rental to go within 4 hours of being advertised.

Check out Craigslist for rentals, you will find Palo Alto very expensive, if you want to pay less there are some nice areas that are much cheaper within a 20 min commute to PA.

Best advise I can offer on rentals is to be prepared, get a rental application filled out and some copies made. When you go along to view places, take a completed application with you along with a copy of your job offers, we also took a copy of our UK Experian credit report and 6 months UK bank statements, along with a covering letter explaining that we had just moved here from the UK so had no US credit, but here are our UK ones. You may find you are competing with 4-5 people to get the rental you want.

The Bay Area is a nice place to live, and I find it friendly. Drop me a PM if I can help with anything, I live very close by, oh I'm also from Yorkshire.

Nicky
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:06 am
Just Joined

silicon valley girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

I live about 15 miles away and there is a great meetup group for brits locally and we've met some awesome people through that site.

As mentioned, craigslist is the place to find an apartment, we actually got a 3 month lease initially so we had time to settle in and application process was easy.

One thing to consider before you move is banking, we are with HSBC Premier and they were able to set up our accounts for us before we arrived and they have a branch in Palo Alto. Made life so much easier as we had debit cards and credit cards right away!

If i can help with anything else, just message me.