Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with our dog

Moving with our dog

Old Mar 21st 2019, 12:50 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with our dog

Originally Posted by Tanja87
I did like the look of Fairfield as well (from what I can see on the internet lol) but hubby reckons it's a bit far out for his commute?! We are currently looking at sites like realtor.com or Zillow and checking their school ratings but we keep being told that the school ratings really only become relevant from high school so we shouldn't worry too much about it yet.... We do have quite a long wish list for the property (purely because we LOVE our house here in the UK so it'll have big shoes to fill lol) but we realise some compromise might be necessary as it'll depend purely on what properties are out there when we come to seriously look for a home....
It is a long way out, as others have suggested look at the timetable. A realtor will quote you the fastest train of the day, but if that is not the time that works for your needed arrival time it won’t help much. I mentioned Fairfield because you had said you are looking at Easton, which would use the Fairfield stations anyway. There is usually an express train to get people to a midtown desk around 9am that’s 1h15, I get in for 8 and mine takes 1h27. I calculate in FD2D, (front door to desk). Right now that’s 1h50 without stopping for coffee, and 1h55 if I get coffee. To do that I get up at 5:20am, if there is snow, I have to get up at around 4:30am to allow the extra time to snow blow the drive way and slower drive. That’s the reality of a NE Winter, my neighbourgh has his plowed, but it’s not done by the time I leave, for context we only had snow like that 3 or 4 times this season on a work day, plus a couple of weekends.

I have never renented in CT, but when I arrived in the NYC with no credit it was hard to rent what I wanted, and that was with the company willing to be a guarantor, most NYC landlords would not accept that, they want an additional individual US person who they can go after, most graduates use their parents. Luckily I was able to get my Green Card fast and was able to buy our dream apartment.

We also had a long wish list when buying out in CT,
with schools being the most important. It took about a year and a half and offers on 3 properties, but we got most of what we wanted, although we did have dig up the yard to add Nat Gas, install all new heating, central AC and do a full gut on the kitchen before we moved in.

I have seen the opposite in terms of schooling, I know people who have let out their own property so they could rent another in the public school catchment they wanted, and that’s for elementary, not middle or high school. But for a rental it’s probably overthinking it, if you end up staying / buying that’s the time to focus on Schools more.

MfG

Last edited by tht; Mar 21st 2019 at 1:02 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

It is a long way out, as others have suggested look at the timetable. A realtor will quote you the fastest train of the day, but if that is not the time that works for your needed arrival time it won’t help much. I mentioned Fairfield because you had said you are looking at Easton, which would use the Fairfield stations anyway. There is usually an express train to get people to a midtown desk around 9am that’s 1h15, I get in for 8 and mine takes 1h27. I calculate in FD2D, (front door to desk). Right now that’s 1h50 without stopping for coffee, and 1h55 if I get coffee. To do that I get up at 5:20am, if there is snow, I have to get up at around 4:30am to allow the extra time to snow blow the drive way and slower drive. That’s the reality of a NE Winter, my neighbourgh has his plowed, but it’s not done by the time I leave, for context we only had snow like that 3 or 4 times this season on a work day, plus a couple of weekend.

I have never renented in CT, but when I arrived in the NYC with no credit it was hard to rent what wanted, and that was with the company willing to be a guarantor, as most NYC landlords would not accept that, they want an additional individual US person who they can go after, most graduates use their parents. Luckily I was able to get my Green Card fast and was able to buy our dream apartment.

We also had a long wish list when buying out in CT,
with schools being the most important. It took about a year and a half and offers on 3 properties but we got most of what we wanted, although we did have dig up the yard to add Nat Gas, install all new heating, central AC and do a full gut on the kitchen before we moved in.

I have seen the opposite in terms of schooling, I know people who have rented let out their own property so they could rent another in the public school catchment they wanted, and that’s for elementary, not middle or high school.

, but for a rental it’s probably overthinking it, if you end up staying / buying that’s the time to focus on Schools more.

Wow! 4:30 is one heck of an early start! I honestly didn't make the connection that Easton was just as far out as Fairfield - it's just one of the towns my husband said he liked the look of when he visited last time... It's a bit tricky knowing where to look without even having been out there yet lol! I'm hoping it'll all become clear when we go for our reccie and we will find something that's at least close to what we're looking for in the right location, wherever that may be in the end
Old Mar 21st 2019, 1:18 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! 4:30 is one heck of an early start! I honestly didn't make the connection that Easton was just as far out as Fairfield - it's just one of the towns my husband said he liked the look of when he visited last time... It's a bit tricky knowing where to look without even having been out there yet lol! I'm hoping it'll all become clear when we go for our reccie and we will find something that's at least close to what we're looking for in the right location, wherever that may be in the end
I mainly did it as a paper exercise to narrow down to the town and then areas. Between, the MetroNorth timetable, Zillow, GreatSchools, google maps (satalite view and street view) you can do a lot of homework.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is all so overwhelming, but again, don't rule out Westchester County, New York -- it has towns that are just as pretty (and expensive!) as Fairfield County, Connecticut, with good schools, and a rather more rapid run into Grand Central on the Metro-North Railroad's Harlem Line.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:16 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I know it is all so overwhelming, but again, don't rule out Westchester County, New York -- it has towns that are just as pretty (and expensive!) as Fairfield County, Connecticut, with good schools, and a rather more rapid run into Grand Central on the Metro-North Railroad's Harlem Line.
We choose CT because my wife has family north in NH so it was the closest for them, can take 2 hours of the trip on a bad traffic day vs. the City. Aside from the long commute it is also not great for getting to the international airports. A car can be 2+ hours and $150+ depending on time of day, and I often have to call 2-3 Uber’s before 1 will take me either direction. For someone with no ties NJ, LI and Westchester are all the usual options people consider. With NJ and LI giving better access to EWR and JFK respectively. If you have regular nternational work travel or visitors that’s also a consideration. We have friends in Westchester and they have a much shorter commute and also higher taxs. The type of people who live in difgernet town also varies a lot, even 1 town over can be very different, so finding where you feel comfortable is also important.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

I’d like to think folks are more attached to their dogs than their TVs!
We have three dogs. I am aware of their un-TV like characteristics. I see that you have one too. Either that, or your wife/daughter has a penchant for Louis XIV wigs.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We have three dogs. I am aware of their un-TV like characteristics. I see that you have one too. Either that, or your wife/daughter has a penchant for Louis XIV wigs.
Despite exhibiting the kind of hauteur associated with the house of Bourbon, she is indeed a dog (and there are two more like her here)! And although all the years I spent at UK all-female schools might have set me on a different course, I do in fact have a male OH, who, I'm happy to say, stays away from unnatural head coverings.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:46 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize for misgendering you. Don't report me to the Greater Manchester Police. We grew up with apricot poodles. Wonderful dogs.